all posts post new thread

Barbell My first post... Now What?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

MtnMan

First Post
Hi All,

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts! Sorry for the long post here -- tried to abbreviate but really wanted to provide all info in first post to get good feedback.

Backstory: 45 years old, 6'2" / 232 lbs, relatively injury free but pulled my groin in 2015 and again in 2016 trying to go heavy on back squats while doing Starting Strength and then Greyskull LP -- took months to recover both times, only other issue is a weak right shoulder from who knows what injury, HS athlete (football, shotput, and discuss) so like training hard but know I'm not 18 anymore, off-and-on weightlifting over the years but never got very strong (maybe 260 or so BP back in my mid-30s, mid-to-high 400s squat, DL don't know). Hate running and always have but at the end of last year couldn't stand my weight of 255 lbs anymore so hit the treadmill and trails. Max runs were in the 3-4 mile range after about 6 months. Had a friend turn me on to Stronglifts in summer and switched to S&S 3 or 4 days a week with alternate days running. As I read Pavel's books (PTTP, S&S, Hardstyle Abs and Super Joints) and this forum decided to focus on strength and clean up my diet somewhat. Implemented a PTTP-style 20-workout cycle to get a base and see where I am at strength-wise. Never even considered lifting so frequently but I do love lifting and it has paid off already in 1st month. Don't seem to have too much trouble recovering. Just take a day or two off now and then either to rest or because life intervenes. Anyway, I've reached the end of my first 20 workout cycle, am happy to be just over 30 lbs down in bodyweight from where I was ten months ago (and that's definitely carrying more muscle), and now it' time to set a new goal and implement a new cycle.

I have learned so much on this forum and am so impressed by the knowledge of this community I would love to get feedback on what's next. I am now 1-month out from an event which will require me to look as fit at possible so my goal is to maintain my strength (or increase it if possible!) while stripping 12 lbs of fat. I know that's a bit aggressive but I have a lot more I can do to clean up my diet. Just finally cut out sodas a week ago and can still cut more snacking etc. I'm hungry from all the lifting but like meat and raw veggies so can go very clean.

I have considered doing Easy Strength or S&S for a 25 workout cycle -- most everyday. I have to "peak" (ha-ha) Oct 13th and maintain through the following weekend, then I can start a new cycle where once again I'd like to focus on base strength building. Ideally would like to get to the goal of pulling double bodyweight off the ground, pressing bodyweight overhead, and carrying bodyweight for about 100 yards. I think I found those targets in something Dan John wrote but am not sure now.

Here's my log from the just completed 20-workout cycle. I warmed up each day with a 3 supersets of prying goblet squats (5 at 24kg), halos (5 each direction at 24kg) and 5 SF hip bridges. Now and then I also added 10 two-handed swings to the warmup superset cycle. After my workouts, I tried to run a 10-min mile but that only lasted about 7 workouts. I was just too beat to run after.

20 workout results.png
*55 for the Side Press indicated 5 each arm

No apology necessary for a lengthy first post - better to give good information if you want to get good advice here.

Welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

-S-

Welcome to the forum pal. I used to hate running too but I made some adjustments and now I actually look forward to it.

First thing I did was get rid of the stiff, heavy, thick soled, arch supported, narrow toe box, raised heel, modern day shoe and replaced it with a minimalist shoe.

Secondly I changed my running style from a heel striker to a forefoot/flat striker. "Chi Running" is a pretty good book for learning this technique.

Third I cut my daily run from 5 miles down to 2 1/2 miles.

And fourth I don't worry about time. I used to think I always had to run sub 10 min miles but now I average about 12 min per mile. Long slow distance is the way to go.

Together all these changes put me back in the game. My daily routine is S&S (A+A style) in a fasted state (Warrior Diet) about 4pm. About an hour later I eat a large meal. An hour after that I do my run which takes 30 minutes. I do this 5 or 6 days a week, always feel fresh and never sore the next day. Try giving yourself a break after your workout and then do your run (slower).

Hasbro, thanks for the tips! I will definitely check out Chi Running. I'm still so heavy I definitely heel strike even though I try not to. The only antidote seems to be running sprints hard (on the toes) versus long and slow (on the heels) -- but that comes with its own challenges. Maybe Chi Running will get me on track. I had not read about the Warrior Diet but am doing so now. I know diet will be the key to hitting my weight loss goal no matter what I end up with programming-wise.

The modern day running shoe with the elevated heel almost forces you to heel strike and that's the very reason most runners have all sorts of injuries. You have high impact forces from the heel to the ankle to the knee to the hip to the back to the neck and shoulders.

Minimalist shoes take you off the heel. If you were to take off running barefoot down the street you wouldn't heel strike because it would be extremely painful. And you wouldn't run up on your toes because that can't be sustained over a long distance. Minimalist shoes will force you to find that perfect balance where you're slightly touching down with the forefoot pad first then lightly allowing the rest of your foot to settle.

Minimalist shoes are something you have to gradually get acclimated to because your feet are accustomed to the modern day "cast" you've been wearing your whole life. Your foot has a natural arch that God put there for a reason but today's shoes with their corrective soles, cushy heel pads, and arch supports are like wearing a cast on your feet. They don't allow the arch to do its job and therefore those foot muscles go into atrophy. Yep start out slow with minimalist shoes.....short walks......longer walks......short runs......and add a little to the distance every few days and try walking barefoot when at home.

Also keep your feet underneath you when you run... don't reach for the next stride, be conscious of your posture, swing your hips, add a slight forward lean, relax and forget about the clock. Do yourself a favor and go to the library and check out a book called "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall. It's a classic and you'll never look at running the same way. Here's a video highlighting the chi running concept.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom