all posts post new thread

Bodyweight My First Program Any Advice Welcome

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Buying the books "Naked Warrior" and "Simple and Sinister" by Pavel I found terrifically helpful. (Now I've gotten into "Enter the Kettlebell" and it's gone from helpful to hauntingly fascinating!)

Anyhow, I found that doing pushups, pistols and chinups this summer was very good for keeping me in shape! I also did a LOT of walking around with a heavy backpack on. That's good stuff too!

Hi Everyone,

Let me first say how happy I am to have found this source of knowledge and this community. Here is a little information about me and my current situation.

Age 35
Weight 186
Height: 5'11"
Very little muscle mass
Bad Mobility and Flexibility (I'm stiff and move like an old ^*#%)

I am recovering from a very bad case of diverticulitis that started about 1.5 months ago. It was extremely painful and I was admitted to the hospital for a few days. The "flare-up" lasted around 10 days, in which I was on antibiotics and also unable to eat for the first few days, then onto a diet of clear liquids only and slowly progressing back to solid foods. During those 10 days or so I lost approximately 30lbs, I'm unsure how much exactly but I know I was well over 200lbs when the pain started. I have never been so sick, and once the pain subsided I felt as if I had aged 50 years. I don't know how to explain it but I felt like I could never be strong or healthy again.

As soon as I was able to start eating solid food again, I immediately started following the "Primal Blueprint" low carb (I'm eating less than 100 grams a day) diet, only eating non processed foods (Meat and veggies) and have been following it strict since 9 September and I also started exercising.

My current exercise:

Push-ups: GTG 2 reps multiple times throughout the day almost every day (getting so much better at pushups!)
Squats: 3x10 2 days per week
planks: GTG 10 second planks multiple times a day.
Pull-ups: Can't do 1 haha so I am working on the hollow body position
Walking around 3-6 hours a week

As of now I am able to do 7 push ups with good form that I learned from this website, 40 bodyweight squats (just to parallel not all the way down) and no pull-ups.

I would love any critiques or advice on a simple body weight program to start building a bit of a base. I have a SFG II, SFL instructor in my area (Sacramento) and look forward to working with him. I also plan on getting an FMS very soon, as of now I don't experience any pain while performing Push-ups, squats ect.

I am waiting to meet with the SFG instructor until I am able to do a few more push-ups and get a little stronger. My reasoning is that I am on a modest budget I would like to reserve my sessions with the instructor for things like learning kettlebell swings, TGU, and Deadlift.

My goal is to be strong and healthy with good mobility (which I'm working on). I would love any advice that may help me reach my goal, and any critiques that might increase the efficiency of my strength practice.

Jeeeze this post is long! Future updates will not be so long winded haha.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim - Welcome!
As the Chief SFB here at SF, I would like to offer you a free Skype session to do an assessment and help you move forward with your training using our SFB principles. This will keep you safe while gaining strength. I am familiar with diverticulitis as my brother had a very bad case and scare. He later ended up having surgery.
So if you decide you are interested and would like to take me up on this offer - please email me at Karen.smith@strongfirst.com

Thanks

@ SF Staff
I feel like goblet squats help me feel the correct posture; at what point does one begin to use implements and loads to improve movement patterns?

@Bro Mo

StrongFirst covers the basics with a huge emphasis on quality. In addition to the goblet squat, patterning movements include:

Hardstyle plank
Face the wall squat
Hinge with wall touch
Air swings
Getup with a shoe
Farmer carry
Waiter carry
Rack carry

Tim - Welcome!
As the Chief SFB here at SF, I would like to offer you a free Skype session to do an assessment and help you move forward with your training using our SFB principles. This will keep you safe while gaining strength. I am familiar with diverticulitis as my brother had a very bad case and scare. He later ended up having surgery.
So if you decide you are interested and would like to take me up on this offer - please email me at Karen.smith@strongfirst.com

Thanks
@Karen Smith WOW! Thank you so much, I would love to if the offer still stands. I sent you an email. Hope your brother is doing well.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom