all posts post new thread

Bodyweight My First Program Any Advice Welcome

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Stoney

Level 2 Valued Member
Hi Everyone,

Let me first say how happy I am to have found this source of knowledge and this community. Here is a little information about me and my current situation.

Age 35
Weight 186
Height: 5'11"
Very little muscle mass
Bad Mobility and Flexibility (I'm stiff and move like an old ^*#%)

I am recovering from a very bad case of diverticulitis that started about 1.5 months ago. It was extremely painful and I was admitted to the hospital for a few days. The "flare-up" lasted around 10 days, in which I was on antibiotics and also unable to eat for the first few days, then onto a diet of clear liquids only and slowly progressing back to solid foods. During those 10 days or so I lost approximately 30lbs, I'm unsure how much exactly but I know I was well over 200lbs when the pain started. I have never been so sick, and once the pain subsided I felt as if I had aged 50 years. I don't know how to explain it but I felt like I could never be strong or healthy again.

As soon as I was able to start eating solid food again, I immediately started following the "Primal Blueprint" low carb (I'm eating less than 100 grams a day) diet, only eating non processed foods (Meat and veggies) and have been following it strict since 9 September and I also started exercising.

My current exercise:

Push-ups: GTG 2 reps multiple times throughout the day almost every day (getting so much better at pushups!)
Squats: 3x10 2 days per week
planks: GTG 10 second planks multiple times a day.
Pull-ups: Can't do 1 haha so I am working on the hollow body position
Walking around 3-6 hours a week

As of now I am able to do 7 push ups with good form that I learned from this website, 40 bodyweight squats (just to parallel not all the way down) and no pull-ups.

I would love any critiques or advice on a simple body weight program to start building a bit of a base. I have a SFG II, SFL instructor in my area (Sacramento) and look forward to working with him. I also plan on getting an FMS very soon, as of now I don't experience any pain while performing Push-ups, squats ect.

I am waiting to meet with the SFG instructor until I am able to do a few more push-ups and get a little stronger. My reasoning is that I am on a modest budget I would like to reserve my sessions with the instructor for things like learning kettlebell swings, TGU, and Deadlift.

My goal is to be strong and healthy with good mobility (which I'm working on). I would love any advice that may help me reach my goal, and any critiques that might increase the efficiency of my strength practice.

Jeeeze this post is long! Future updates will not be so long winded haha.

Thanks,
Tim

@Stoney, welcome to StrongFirst!

Bodyweight-only getups could be good for you.

Perhaps post a video of a few bodyweight squats for comments and suggestions here.

-S-

@Stoney I will echo Steve and go a step further with just going through the 7 primal movement patterns for multiple reps and sets as your endurance improves. This will keep your joints healthy and prepped for your increased volume of training in the future.

Hip hinge
Squat
Lunges in multi planes
Push
Pull
Rotation
Gait (Planks)

Tim...
It sounds like some of what you are already doing is a pretty good starting point. Adding naked TGU's as per Steves suggestion would probably be well worth it. It's good to see that you are committed to a FMS and consultation with an SFG when your budget allows. It will be worth the investment. Additional things for mobility could include Super Joints and Flexible Steel.
Health scares such as you had can be... Scary.
Welcome to the SF journey....

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes @Bonkin @offwidth @Michael Scott . I will be adding the naked get-ups today and will post some videos of the movements I'm practicing.

@natewhite39 I will definitely make sure and include a few more exercises so that I hit all 7 movements...what would you recommend for a beginner rotation movement?

@Stoney A great start, my only suggestion for now is to squeeze the glutes hard and work on lowering your body as one unit (think of the body as "one piece"). From what I see in the video you are lowering and leading with your chest only while your hips remain a bit high.
As an external cue, use a yoga block and place it as a target right beneath your sternum area. If your hips remain high, you won't feel it. If your body lowers as one piece, you will feel it and learn the correct depth.

@natewhite39 Thanks so much for the tip, the yoga block helped right away. My body is now lowering much better.

I'm really enjoying focusing on technique and practicing movements, it reminds me of learning guitar or a martial art. I'm finally enjoying exercise and look forward to every rep!!!

Hey Stoney, welcome to the forum and big salute to you for the radical changes to your diet and embracing a fitness regimen. There are dozens of bodyweight exercises that are great addition to any routine, but we only have so much time to train. Do you have a place for horizontal rows? You grab a bar about waist high and extend your feet all the way forward, and pull yourself up, think of it as an upside down push-up. It's great for developing forearm strength, rear shoulders, and of course your back. If I'm not clear, just youtube "horizontal rows". One other one that may be of interest is a gymnastic bridge. Lay on your back with your hands by your ears, raise up your body until you are on your hands and feet and your body is arched. Again youtube it for a better description. However, you may have to start with wall walking, again youtube it.

One last tip, buy the book "The Maker's Diet" by Jordan Rubin. The book is all about healing your gut consuming foods that the body human thrives on and once were a big part of our diet throughout the ages. Jordan has recently started a company that has lots of supplements that would help you, but that can be costly. The diet saved my wife's life and we have gotten to know him personally. He and his diet are the real deal. Looking forward to hearing about your progress!!

@Stoney, it would be great if you could work with a StrongFirst instructor in person or, if that's not possible, long-distance via Skype. I would rather you not practice the squat as you demonstrated it - can you squat to the balls of your feet instead of staying on your heels? Your lower back is rounding a lot in the video and I don't suggest you practice that.

-S-

@Steve Freides thanks for taking a look. I'm going to take your advice and stop practicing until I meet with an instructor/get an FMS. @mrdave100 thanks for the recommendations, I will definitely check out that book.

Push-ups look a lot better.

For squats, try to assume a slightly wider stance, and push your knees both forward and outwards more. The idea is to create space in between your feet where your body can sink into. At the bottom, your inner thigh should feel very stretched out. You round your back because if you kept it straight and hit the same depth, you'd fall back. Rounding allows you to place some extra weight in front of you. Placing the feet a bit wider will allow more of your hip weight to stay over your COM.

To learn how to keep your back straight, you can squat while holding onto some small counterweight (15-20 lbs maybe?). If you make it a point to keep your back arched while holding that counterweight an arms length away, your back should stay straighter. Try those drills out and see how they feel.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom