all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed My first session with a StrongFirst trainer

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Xariann

Level 1 Valued Member
I just wanted to post here about my experience with a StrongFirst trainer yesterday because I was totally blown away. I am on the middle of getting a personal trainer certification and that's definitely set my aspirations now.

I found her by chance as she works at the gym I go to.

So we went over the kettlebell swing, which another trainer had already looked at. But because going heavier was causing shoulder pain (I have recurring pain which I am getting checked, and I had to drop my MMA because of it) asked to be rechecked.

Holy moly, the difference in instruction was night and day. So you are not supposed to swing with the shoulders and I wasn't. However I wasn't retracting them enough, even though I thought I did. So now I was squeezing really hard and one swing took a lot more energy than it used to and I was out of breath much faster. My shoulder was very happy. It really felt like a full body movement finally.

Then she looked at my squat. I have been trying to go lower for a while now and all the trainers were like, "It's fine, you'll get more mobility." And my stiffness is quite bad, so here I am thinking that going below parallel with a weight will take me a long time.

She takes a good look, in 5 minutes I am squatting a#@ to grass.

Definitely a keeper this one!

@Xariann, our web site allows - and encourages! - students to post reviews of their StrongFirst-certified instructors. Please do that - just follow the link you gave above and add your own review.

Note to anyone reading along - please don't think something is wrong if your review doesn't appear right away. Each is individually read and approved before becoming public on the web site in order to keep spam from appearing.

-S-

I just wanted to post here about my experience with a StrongFirst trainer yesterday because I was totally blown away. I am on the middle of getting a personal trainer certification and that's definitely set my aspirations now.

I found her by chance as she works at the gym I go to.

So we went over the kettlebell swing, which another trainer had already looked at. But because going heavier was causing shoulder pain (I have recurring pain which I am getting checked, and I had to drop my MMA because of it) asked to be rechecked.

Holy moly, the difference in instruction was night and day. So you are not supposed to swing with the shoulders and I wasn't. However I wasn't retracting them enough, even though I thought I did. So now I was squeezing really hard and one swing took a lot more energy than it used to and I was out of breath much faster. My shoulder was very happy. It really felt like a full body movement finally.

Then she looked at my squat. I have been trying to go lower for a while now and all the trainers were like, "It's fine, you'll get more mobility." And my stiffness is quite bad, so here I am thinking that going below parallel with a weight will take me a long time.

She takes a good look, in 5 minutes I am squatting a#@ to grass.

Definitely a keeper this one!
It was an absolute pleasure to work with you on your first session and I am excited to start your Strong first journey with you! Thank you for the review.

@Xariann, please reach out to your instructor with this information.

The reason a student can't leave a review is that the instructor hasn't filled out his or her biographical information on their instructor page. We don't allow anyone to post anything to an instructor page until the instructor has filled in that information, just to be sure the page is setup correctly before accepting reviews.

Thank you for trying, and do get back in touch with the instructor and ask her to fill out her portion of her instructor page. If she needs help, she can ask me via a forum PM and I will point her in the right direction.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom