My Kettlebell "Strong" Results

Discussion in 'Kettlebell' started by John Grahill, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Glen

Glen Quadruple-Digit Post Count

After speaking to a work colleague who also likes kettlebell work he gave me a single sheet PDF which gives the mapped out progressions for STRONG and The ONE. Unfortunately he did not have the full book but presume if your clued up with swings, snatches and clean and presses your good to go.

Nothing revolutionary but looks a solid, logical plan.

2. Sean M

Sean M Quadruple-Digit Post Count

It’s not flashy or exciting, but it works. Progressive stress/loading of a full-body exercise with a heavy weight, proceed until it is no longer heavy, repeat with heavier weight.

Tirofijo, jhpowers and Glen like this.
  3. jhpowers

jhpowers More than 300 posts

It’s deceptive. More to it than it seems. In a way, like s & s for doubles. Maximal training stripped down to minimalist essentials.

Marty, John Grahill and Glen like this.
  4. John Grahill

John Grahill Triple-Digit Post Count

I am currently running phase 2 (slow and steady) now. I recently completed a fat loss snatch program by Chris Lopez (excellent by the way, the "Rex" program) and two days a week re-ran phase one of Strong. I actually had been doing that before I started "Rex".

Anyhow I'm for now just concentrating on phase 2 and am 4 workouts in. Going to hit number 5 today or possibly tomorrow if I dont have time. (Spring yardwork, getting ready for Memorial day party).

I'm not going totally crazy here and am using my head. I manage the multiple 3 rep sets just fine with holding the rest periods to 2 minutes or less. With higher rep sets (even just one more rep !) as the workout progresses requires a bit more recovery for me. (Gee, shoot me I'm in my mid fifties!) I am allowing myself 3 minutes between sets. At one time Geoff told me that was acceptable and to work on cutting the rest slowly as I progress through the system. Despite that advice, I pushed on and got injured!

I have gone through 2 of the 4 rep set workouts so far and I can say it's been pretty good. I forgot how much "fun" can be packed into 25 to 30 minutes!