all posts post new thread

Kettlebell My Kettlebell "Strong" Results

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
to line up all the kettlebell movements up on a timeline distributed in terms of learning difficulty....

@Steve Freides; is this even possible?

If I go all the way straight through to Sinister, is there a next logical step?

Take your time in answering....

You got, like...

over a year..
:confused::eek::cool:

Stefan, I did the ROP from Pavel/ETK before I did any doubles work. They have a much different feel. That's not to say you, can't. If you have any desire to do doubles at any point, you owe it to yourself to get the Kettlebell Strong system.

I´ve heard so much good about the program that I love to get it and support @Geoff Neupert

@Stefan Olsson, I came to STRONG right after S&S. For squats and presses, doubles feel much more natural to me than singles, probably because of my background with olympic weightlifting. That said, the STRONG DVD made my presses feel much better. I understood being tense during lifts, but zipping up tension was a new concept to me, and I loved it.

As far as weight, I don't know. My single press is about 2/3rds of my double press. I can press an 88 lb bell any day of the week, but I can only press a pair of 70's. You're still recruiting full body strength with the single press. The double just forces you to recruit a bit more.

I think because doubles tend to come after singles in the learning progression that we think doubles are more technically demanding. I don't necessarily think so. I think squats, presses, and cleans are easier to develop a feel for with a pair of kettlebells than say a snatch, clean, or get-up with a single. So I'd say don't worry about it being inappropriate to go to STRONG after S&S just because it uses a pair of kettlebells. If we were to line up all the kettlebell movements up on a timeline distributed in terms of learning difficulty, I don't think we'd a see all of single bell movements at the front the line, followed by all of the doubles. I think it would be more intermingled. Some movement patterns are easier, at least for me, to learn bilaterally than unilaterally. Thinking out loud. Hopefully it makes a little sense.

Thank you for your informative post. I´m coming from an powerlifting background and have spend much time with the military press and clean and press(with barbell) as assistance, so the Strong seems to fit the bill just perfectly!

to line up all the kettlebell movements up on a timeline distributed in terms of learning difficulty....

You got, like...

over a year..

I think this is one accepted logical step by step posted here at StrongFirst “things are going so well, help me screw it up!” part 2 - StrongFirst

Last edited by a moderator:
@Stefan Olsson, I came to STRONG right after S&S. For squats and presses, doubles feel much more natural to me than singles, probably because of my background with olympic weightlifting. That said, the STRONG DVD made my presses feel much better. I understood being tense during lifts, but zipping up tension was a new concept to me, and I loved it.

As far as weight, I don't know. My single press is about 2/3rds of my double press. I can press an 88 lb bell any day of the week, but I can only press a pair of 70's. You're still recruiting full body strength with the single press. The double just forces you to recruit a bit more.

I think because doubles tend to come after singles in the learning progression that we think doubles are more technically demanding. I don't necessarily think so. I think squats, presses, and cleans are easier to develop a feel for with a pair of kettlebells than say a snatch, clean, or get-up with a single. So I'd say don't worry about it being inappropriate to go to STRONG after S&S just because it uses a pair of kettlebells. If we were to line up all the kettlebell movements up on a timeline distributed in terms of learning difficulty, I don't think we'd a see all of single bell movements at the front the line, followed by all of the doubles. I think it would be more intermingled. Some movement patterns are easier, at least for me, to learn bilaterally than unilaterally. Thinking out loud. Hopefully it makes a little sense.

I don't think this sounds to strange. Whenever I've tried around a bit with double KBs I always thought it somehow felt more natural as well.

Easiest to hardest in terms of learning difficult, IMO would go something like:

Deadlift
Goblet squat
Two hand swing
One hand swing
One arm press
Double KB swing
Double KB press
Double KB front squat

Single KB clean

Double KB clean

Snatch

Double KB snatch

...that is to say the press itself is simple. You can clean it with two hands or curl it or whatever to get it into the rack first.

Same with double presses and squats - you just press them or squat with them.

...it's the getting them there without smacking your forearm/s or knocking the air out of yourself that is the hard bit.

The clean takes the longest to perfect for one rep after another. Maybe even more than snatches...

I have no idea where the getup would fit in that list. You could do all of the above without ever doing a getup. Or you could learn getups before anything else...

Again just IMO

After thinks to much about a supplementary routine next to my martial artist i start again with kettlebell strong.
Geoff reacted on my question about that and said that the clean and jerk would be perfect.
So i started it and it felt great! Even after a few workouts i felt stronger.
May ego get in the way because i wanted to start somewere in the middle of the routine.
But now i have started in the beginners fase and it felt good.
Right now i do it with the 24.
I cant imagine how much stronger i Will be when i can do it with a 32.
Couldnt imagine that such a simple and short routine could be that effective.

Has anyone run KB Strong first thing in the morning???
When I start it I think I'm going to run with the conditioning program Mon Wed and Fri, and would like to get it down before work so I've time to do bjj twice a week and free up the evenings. Would be good to get it done before the madness of the morning routine kicks in!!

Connor, I have always trained first thing in the morning and the strong program was no exception. I agree with the morning madness thing. As a law enforcement officer (now retired thankfully) I never knew if I was going to be held over at work which would mean possibly missing a workout, so I always got up about a half hour earlier and did a routine (whatever it was) prior to going to work.

@john, I think it might suit me better too although as a teacher I wouldn't face the same challenges of a law enforcement career though I suppose it depends what class you get!!With kids etc the evenings can be unpredictable and like yourself I don't like missing workouts!
Thanks

Conor, the other thing about it is that whenever I trained in the evening, I was too wired for sleeping. Training for me at least first thing in the morning ensured I was tired at night. Teachers as I'm sure you know often have multiple extra curricular things to do at school which can effect your training days.

That's true John, I'm like that too, can feel a bit wired up at night and takes a while to settle. Training in the morning certainly hasn't affects your strength levels 36kg for 11 is impressive. Time to disable the snooze function on the alarm!

Yes like John I did my Strong Sessions in the AM after I walked my dogs,had my coffee and did my OS warm up.

You got, like...

over a year..

HA! Well I do have to say some of the doubles are easier depending on the load only because since you are loading both arms you don't have to worry about center control as much. I found double cleans much easier than single cleans myself for that reason.

@mike I know that you referred to running through the hybrid version of Strong plus The One program, did you use the conditioning fat loss version of Strong? When you knocking out every rep were running all the cues that Geoff uses? I was following the DVD earlier and there was a huge difference when I was actively using the cues versus the mindles repping approach?

I don't know where to read up on what the Strong book includes. But is the KB Burn also a program in the book? Which could (should?) be run after Strong in blocks?

KB Burn is a completely different program from Geoff Neupert.
Which is more focused on fat loss. You'll probably still turn out a beast though

o line up all the kettlebell movements up on a timeline distributed in terms of learning difficulty....

No need. There are certain logical progressions, e.g., deadlift before swing, swing before snatch, but many of the lifts can be learned pretty easily on a solid foundation of strength.

-S-

@mike I know that you referred to running through the hybrid version of Strong plus The One program, did you use the conditioning fat loss version of Strong? When you knocking out every rep were running all the cues that Geoff uses? I was following the DVD earlier and there was a huge difference when I was actively using the cues versus the mindles repping approach?

When I did STRONG/ONE I did the regular STRONG. I am not sure I would have survived the Short Course STRONG/ONE. I tried to make each Clean and Press better than the last. I would say if I am being honest that with the ONE (DSW) I was just trying to survive those sessions without losing the bells.

ONE is BRUTAL on your forearms and posterior chain. That program is no joke. My wife loved the effect on my rear after that.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom