all posts post new thread

Kettlebell My Kettlebell "Strong" Results

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Would agree with the above The Strong program has enough in it, it's the supposed simplicity of it that appeals to me,just turn up and do the reps. The devils in the detail, very like S and S in that respect. The quality of the DVD instruction has really improved my double KB lifts. Go with the basic program, You won't regret it.

Down the home straight on the hybrid KB strong program, 3 workouts left. The last few with 10 by 5 and the 10 by 6 today were BRUTAL..though in fairness the "One" swing workout was the toughest, really tested grip strength and conditioning levels. Perseveres with 24kg but form suffered with the 30 s 30 s ratios. Think I'll take a week off, swimming, jogging and some Bjj, then I think I'll run with KB muscle for 6 weeks with the Fighter Pull up Program. Going to cycle in KB strong later in the year, really enjoyed the challenge if not always the experience. Top class program..
:):)

Nice. I will maybe one day revisit "The ONE" program but alone. Not with Strong again. That was brutal and made karate training not as much fun. ;)

Was thinking that myself Mike as a standalone program it would be really great, I'm glad I run with it, but I don't think I'll could do another cycle of the hybrid without a break. In saying that I generally use Sundays a variety day and either trial workouts or just practice new movements like the C and J. I did day 1 of KB muscle to get a feel for it and it was really challenging too. Need an easy week, then I'll decide whether it's burn extreme or KB muscle. I'll be back to Strong at some stage of the year!;)

I had just received my copy of KB Strong right before I went on holiday, and finally got to watch some of it now that I've returned. Very much enjoyed reading through the first half of the book and following along with the rack, front squat, clean and press. Excited to continue and start one of the programs. Finishing up a hypertrophy block right now of double KB's, but I wish I had waited to do it until after I had gotten this resource. Fell much stronger and tighter now with the additional cues and techniques. Still have a little under half the program to go but hoping this resource keeps my improvements coming!

So somehow I ended up on the STRONG/ONE hybrid again. Now Geoff did tweak it for me for a certain goal but it is still pretty brutal but not as taxing is the regular ONE.

Forgot how much I loved Doubles!

Doing regular STRONG 2x a week with FSQ and then the 2x ONE is pretty different and one of Geoff's test protocols so I cannot divulge that. I will just say it is DSW and another exercise. Started this with 2x24kg for all 4 days.

Fair enough. I'm considering a cycle of STRONG:ONE using a clean+press+squat chain with double 24kgs and 2 hand swings with a 40kg for ONE (smoked myself with the double 24kg swings in the past). I think I'll do some TGUs or bent press practice (2 or 3 each side) before my swings.

Ahh "The One program", I miss it in the same way I miss going for a root canal. Great program... Double swings are a killer.. The DVD is a lifetime investment. Well worth it

Yeah I tried the Strong/One with 24s for C&P and 16s for DSW. At 2 days a week of each, I just couldn't recover. 10x6 on the C&P with my working weight was no joke.

Went back to just doing Strong 3x/week.

Even Geoff will tell you "less is more" but it's such a hard lesson to learn.

Thinking about after I make this goal on this cycle I might do just STRONG 3x a week but with 2x28kg DPP.

Is there a better "sleeping pill" than double clean and jerks?
I've been throwing them into the end of my training, 5 sets of 3 or 5 sets of 5. I feel ok doing them but when I hit the hay I go out like a light and into a "semi coma." I didn't even hear the alarm this morning. I was using treadmill sprints for a while at the end of my training but they left me "buzzing."
The Clean and Jerk is a fabulous exercise. Would love to do it with KB strong in the future!!

I've just completed Strong Short course C&P with 24's, it's no picnic! The short course was a step in to the unknown, by Day 10 I had to grind out the 6th reps on sets 9 & 10 but managed to get them up with form in tact. It's a very clever program, 10 x 6 reps seemed such a long way off and not even possible when I started the short course, yet only 10 sessions later, I was putting up 48kg 60 times!

Having looked at that program I recall you double your volume by workout #10. That might be a little "aggressive" for me so you clearly earn my congratulations. Did you do it 3x/week or the optional 2x/week? How did you select your starting bell and do you plan to do any type of "rep max" now that you have completed the Short Course?

Having looked at that program I recall you double your volume by workout #10. That might be a little "aggressive" for me so you clearly earn my congratulations. Did you do it 3x/week or the optional 2x/week? How did you select your starting bell and do you plan to do any type of "rep max" now that you have completed the Short Course?
I did 2 x per week, reason being I'm 40 years old, with a family and play weekend sport so recovery was a problem. I also did 2 days per week 10x10 32kg S&S style swings on days following Strong (it's all in my training log), to keep some conditioning. It's questionable as to whether the swings were of any real benefit once the volume increased on Strong, but 32kg swings S&S style are comfortable for me and had no negative impact on my recovery. I recall Bud Jefferies (I think) writing a few years ago that 300 swings per week was enough for conditioning so I tend to use this as my yard stick.
This was my first attempt at the short course, but I've previously been through a cycle of Strong (phase 1 and phase 2 Slow and Steady) with 24's, so I had a bit of experience to fall back on, plus I had reached 40kg TGU & Swings on S&S earlier this year, which I feel helped me stay strong and tight under the weight.
I'm looking to complete Strong with the Clean & Jerk over the next year,so will be working towards that over the next few months...then on to the 28's, FSQ, C&P etc etc

I don't know if I should start a new thread, hopefully I can just continue this old KB Strong one. I bought a copy KB Strong in Geoffs final sale and I would like to try it.

Has anyone run Clean and Press 3 times/week and Front Squats 3days/week - on alternating days. Then rest on sunday. I have a lot going on for the next few months and it seems like a quick (20 mins/day for the first 3 sessions) park bench type program. I'm on the very basic (starting 10x1 etc).

I am not after body changes, massive strength gains or conditioning (I will be walking and active a lot doing works on the house for the summer), just something to keep me ticking over without adding stress or too much thinking, just get it done.

C&P I really enjoy and it seems to hit the whole body except legs.
FSQs I really need to practise as it is my big weakness (weaker than my Presses!)

TIA

The KB DFSQ is one of my favorite exercises, and Strong is one of my favorite C&P programs. But I don't necessarily think Strong is great programming for the DFSQ.

I think of the C&P as both an exercise that you use to build strength, and as a lift that you can use to test strength. However, I don't think of the DFSQ as a lift, only as an exercise. Whereas a C&P has a clear 1RM, I feel like if I can rack a pair of bells and get one good squat, I can always grind out at least one or two more.

So the volume progression of Strong, starting with singles and doubles, seems less appropriate to me for the DFSQ. When I have done Strong with DFSQ, I did two days on/one day off (with perhaps an extra rest day after the second set of consecutive training days), and just added straight sets of squats (one clean per set) after the presses, usually 2 or 3 sets of 5.

Depends on your recovery. Both the double CP and DFSQ are full body exercises. You aren't leaving yourself any recovery days. If you are using appropriate weights for Strong, I'd think you might run into trouble. Then again, I'm coming up on 50. If you are 20 yo then maybe you can pull it off.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom