all posts post new thread

Kettlebell My Kettlebell "Strong" Results

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@John Grahill Pair of 40’s, wow!

Did you find phase 2 did much to improve your RM with a heavier pair? Recent discussion in this thread is mixed - for some it improved a lot but for others it did not (but phase 2 delivered in other areas such as hypertrophy and work capacity as the phase is subtitled).

I would think one could just keep repeating phase 1 with heavier pairs “until strong”, if raw strength is the primary goal?

Reading early posts in this thread suggests that he was actively "supporting" the people using his programs, answering their questions and such like. Maybe he doesn't like the idea of people buying his programs without him being able to continue to offer that support?

I would think one could just keep repeating phase 1 with heavier pairs “until strong”, if raw strength is the primary goal?

I can't see why it wouldn't work for a while (though maybe deloads would be appropriate at some point.) Like anything, your gains will be more incremental and fewer and farther between as the weights get heavier.

Most will say that working with sets of 1, 2 and 3 isn't great for hypertrophy, so will the lack of or slow hypertrophy will be a limiting factor eventually? After all, you can only get so strong so fast if you don't let your muscles grow.

One might argue that doing Phase 1 followed by Phase 2 and getting the hypertrophy from it, and then going back to Phase 1 with heavier weights and doing Phase 2 again, repeat, etc, is better in the long run than just running Phase 1 over and over (unless you need to stay wirey/sinewy for some reason and don't want to put on bulk.)

I do not know the answer.

This seems strange to not have the materials already produced on kindle, passive income and requires no time investment?

Obviously each person's decisions are theirs based off their circumstance but with the work already done seems strange to remove all availability for such a desired product

A while back I theorized that emails and warnings that he was "taking them off the market forever!" was a marketing plan and they would soon be reintroduced "due to overwhelming popular demand." So far I have been wrong.

Last edited:
Some of Geoff's programs including STRONG are still available through Chris Lopez @ kettlebellworkouts.com

Looks like the links to the Neupert programs are dead ("buy this domain"). Programs -
And Chris Lopez is livin' the life in Costa Rica, so I assume he's also out of the kettlebell game.

I just shot him a DM asking if he knows how it can be acquired, or if there are any plans/means to make it available again, even just as an ebook.

Last edited:
I can't see why it wouldn't work for a while (though maybe deloads would be appropriate at some point.) Like anything, your gains will be more incremental and fewer and farther between as the weights get heavier.

Most will say that working with sets of 1, 2 and 3 isn't great for hypertrophy, so will the lack of or slow hypertrophy will be a limiting factor eventually? After all, you can only get so strong so fast if you don't let your muscles grow.

One might argue that doing Phase 1 followed by Phase 2 and getting the hypertrophy from it, and then going back to Phase 1 with heavier weights and doing Phase 2 again, repeat, etc, is better in the long run than just running Phase 1 over and over (unless you need to stay wirey/sinewy for some reason and don't want to put on bulk.)
Good points, thanks.

Wrapping up Phase 1, Week 7 here with 2x24. RM test next week. I also want to try a 2x32 C&P. The 9 sets of 3 felt strong compared to the first 5 x 3 in week 4.

I want to get through Phase 2 (long version) with 2x32 over this summer. What is the best way to get to Phase 2 with 2x32?
  1. Phase 2 (short) with 2x24, then repeat Phase 1 with 2x32 and then right into Phase 2 (long)
  2. Repeat Phase 1 but with 2x32 front squat
  3. Repeat Phase 1 but with 2x32 clean & push press
If I can't get a C&P rep with 2x32 next week, I don't know if Phase 2 (short) will actually get me there either. Would heavier front squats get me there either? My cleans are shaky with 2x32 but I can already do several front squats.

With doubles the jump from 24 to 32 seems (to me) like a chasm...I'd consider investing in 2x 28kg bells. Double cleans can sneak up on you.

Wrapping up Phase 1, Week 7 here with 2x24. RM test next week. I also want to try a 2x32 C&P. The 9 sets of 3 felt strong compared to the first 5 x 3 in week 4.

I want to get through Phase 2 (long version) with 2x32 over this summer. What is the best way to get to Phase 2 with 2x32?
  1. Phase 2 (short) with 2x24, then repeat Phase 1 with 2x32 and then right into Phase 2 (long)
  2. Repeat Phase 1 but with 2x32 front squat
  3. Repeat Phase 1 but with 2x32 clean & push press
If I can't get a C&P rep with 2x32 next week, I don't know if Phase 2 (short) will actually get me there either. Would heavier front squats get me there either? My cleans are shaky with 2x32 but I can already do several front squats.

Your desired timeline may not be realistic, imho.

Seems to me that to go from a 24kg rep max of 4/5 (I assume that's roughly your max when you started Strong) to a 32kg rep max of 4/ 5 by doing Phase 1 and 2 with the 24kgs is optimistic.

Since I start with the assumption that the program creator knows more than me, I'd stick with the unmodified program and do Phase 2 (Short) with the 24s, and see where you are at the end of Phase 2. I'd say if you are able to start Phase 1 over with 28s (or maybe 30s if lucky) then you'll be doing good and should be satisfied with the progress.

Just my guess from my own experience so far with KB Strong. I started with 26kgs and repping doublt 32s still seems a long way off.

You'll have a better idea of your progress when you test next week.

@jhpowers @Tirofijo Indeed, the RM test later this week should reveal a lot. I think I will go forward through phase 2 (short) with 2x24 before deciding on next steps.

For those who have done phase 2 short course, did you tend toward the 2x/week or 3x/week progression? Pros and cons of each?

@Sean M, my only advice is to see how you do on the RM test. If you get less than say 8, you may find the 10x6 days in week 4 with the shortened rest quite daunting. With the "slow and steady" the volume increase seemed mor "manageable"...

@jhpowers @Tirofijo Indeed, the RM test later this week should reveal a lot. I think I will go forward through phase 2 (short) with 2x24 before deciding on next steps.

For those who have done phase 2 short course, did you tend toward the 2x/week or 3x/week progression? Pros and cons of each?

late to the party.. I did short course around spring last year.. it helped build the foundation..

if I would repeat it all over again, I would have shifted to olympic 2.0 from ultra to turn my 6-8 rm into a 7-9rm then test with a size up to see if I am STRONG enough to recycle strong ph1

late to the party.. I did short course around spring last year.. it helped build the foundation..

if I would repeat it all over again, I would have shifted to olympic 2.0 from ultra to turn my 6-8 rm into a 7-9rm then test with a size up to see if I am STRONG enough to recycle strong ph1
What do you believe it is about Olympic 2.0 (day of C+FSq, day of Cl+P, day of Cl+FSq+P) with 6-8RM that builds strength for the next size up? And did you do just the ladders phase, or all 12 weeks from ladders to increasing straight sets?

What do you believe it is about Olympic 2.0 (day of C+FSq, day of Cl+P, day of Cl+FSq+P) with 6-8RM that builds strength for the next size up? And did you do just the ladders phase, or all 12 weeks from ladders to increasing straight sets?

the fact heavy day has you pressing last means you have learned to stay tight..

I GTGd olympic recently to rebuild my pressing strength, might run it again

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom