all posts post new thread

Kettlebell My Kettlebell "Strong" Results

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

John Grahill

Level 8 Valued Member
Just finished up Phase 2 of Mr. Neupert's "Strong" program. I utilized the double bell clean and press and used double 36 kgs.

When I started phase one, I was able to get 4 reps in good form. After the past several months of narrowly focusing on the double bell clean and press three times a week, I was able to get 11 good reps (could have gotten 12, but I felt my form was about to seriously break down). For phase two I chose the "slow and steady" course as I didn't feel ready to tackle the "short course" and I am glad I did. The added reps, volume and reduced rest periods needed recovery!

As to the other details, my resting pulse has dropped to about 45 bpm, probably due to the heavy demands of C&Presses on the cardio system. My shoulder girdle/upper back is thicker than ever and my pants still fit despite gaining about 8 pounds since the early summer. I didn't use calipers or anything like that, just observations so I can assume I gained some good lean mass.

All in all, was quite pleased with the results in body comp, strength and conditioning and would recommend this program to anyone. Simple and effective. At 51 yoa I had my doubts at times but stuck with it.

Sorry, somehow I hit the wrong button before I finished. I recommend it to anyone for an additional reason. Should you have questions, Geoff responds to your emails quickly and it gives you a support system for a lack of a better word/term.

I do plan on going through Strong again this year. It's similar to Pavel's ROP in that you don't outgrow it.

It definitely delivers!

Always great to hear about astonishing success stories of dedicated patient work on minimalistic programs. Glad, that I got a copy and the DVD's last nov. at my SFG2. All the input and output of the SF minds just deliver. There is no doubt to me about that.

Last edited:
Looking forward to reading, watching, and getting to work on Strong. Mine is still in transit through the mail system.

Thanks guys, it was a worthwhile effort. Hunter, you won't be disappointed. Ctygesen, that weight loss is awesome. I actually tried to cut weight but I admit the double 36s and high volume made me HUNGRY to say the least during phase 2.

Last year at this time I was doing another of Geoffs programs using the double 32s for clean and push presses. They got me stronger in my strict press (I know some say it's a different groove, but it worked for me). I then decided to give it a go in the late spring/early summer.

The old story rings true, do the programs as written! Modifications change the program!

Can't say enough good things about Geoffs programming.

John that is impressive; double 36kg for 11 reps. My copy just landed today, I got it at the sale price but after watching about an hour of the DVD have to say I would pay full price.
John I have the TTC last year and I really bulked up in the shoulders, arms, so much so I had buy new shirts for work. I'm starting the program next month but I don't what to bulk up. Did you try the fat loss/ conditioning option on page 81??

So I took a glimpse on Barry Ross' superb little book "Underground Secrets To Faster Running" , there is a table of completed reps as % of 1RM:
90% representing 3-4 reps.
80% representing 8-12 completed reps
So I think you would be able to clean & press my two 45(,4) kg bells. That is not that far away from double beast. John, you are (damn) strong.

didnt i read that you cant get strong using kettlebells. i feel pretty strong doing getups with the beast and i feel pretty strong doing dbl c&ps for 5 reps with 32s. i cant imagine how strong i would feel if i was popping up dbl 36s for 11 reps - awesome. just awesome - oh yeah and sounds pretty strong to me! nice work.

Sorry, somehow I hit the wrong button before I finished. I recommend it to anyone for an additional reason. Should you have questions, Geoff responds to your emails quickly and it gives you a support system for a lack of a better word/term.

I do plan on going through Strong again this year. It's similar to Pavel's ROP in that you don't outgrow it.

It definitely delivers!
@John Grahill - Thanks for you great review and kind words, John. And I try to respond as quickly as possible. ;-)

Harold, thank you sir. I have two 44kg bells and I got them for a double. Third rep was doable but I felt it would require too much body English/swaying to complete so I aborted the idea.

Prior to "Strong" this was not possible. I would like to do double beasts down the road.

Conor, I didn't necessarily want to gain excess bulk either but I "accidentally" hypertrophied....by that I mean I was just trying a minimalistic approach to keeping in shape, using a compound movement with rest periods in check and I woke up one day not fitting in my winter shirts from last year. I guess Whenever you use the appropriate resistance and train hard with it, it happens.

My wife thinks it's a great program for another reason....I have wanted to get a Levis denim jacket like I had as a kid/ teenager. She says she hates the look on a grown man (she is in my opinion absolutely beautiful and I always find myself doing what she wants). Just before Christmas I tried one on at Macy's, and the XLs sleeves and shoulders were way too tight, making it look like I was wearing my little brother's clothes. I guess everybody in my household is a fan of "kettlebell strong"

I own one 24k and one 32k as for now. When I complete the Simple-goal Im thinking of buying my self the Kettlbell Strong as a gift for my accomplishment. Few days back I tried to do clean and press ladders with the 24k to see where my pressing strength at. I could do 3 x 1,2,3,4,5 coupled with pull-ups in between. Do you guys who have run Strong think Im able to do the program with another 24k or do I need to get two lighter bells?

That's awesome, John.

I'm doing the STRONG/ONE combo with clean and jerk. I'm working on Phase 2 with a pair of 24's right now. 24's are too light, but 32's are too much. I have a 28kg on order from Vulcan right now that's still on backorder. I plan to add a second on Monday.

Stefan, I did the ROP from Pavel/ETK before I did any doubles work. They have a much different feel. That's not to say you, can't. If you have any desire to do doubles at any point, you owe it to yourself to get the Kettlebell Strong system.

@Stefan Olsson, I came to STRONG right after S&S. For squats and presses, doubles feel much more natural to me than singles, probably because of my background with olympic weightlifting. That said, the STRONG DVD made my presses feel much better. I understood being tense during lifts, but zipping up tension was a new concept to me, and I loved it.

As far as weight, I don't know. My single press is about 2/3rds of my double press. I can press an 88 lb bell any day of the week, but I can only press a pair of 70's. You're still recruiting full body strength with the single press. The double just forces you to recruit a bit more.

I think because doubles tend to come after singles in the learning progression that we think doubles are more technically demanding. I don't necessarily think so. I think squats, presses, and cleans are easier to develop a feel for with a pair of kettlebells than say a snatch, clean, or get-up with a single. So I'd say don't worry about it being inappropriate to go to STRONG after S&S just because it uses a pair of kettlebells. If we were to line up all the kettlebell movements up on a timeline distributed in terms of learning difficulty, I don't think we'd a see all of single bell movements at the front the line, followed by all of the doubles. I think it would be more intermingled. Some movement patterns are easier, at least for me, to learn bilaterally than unilaterally. Thinking out loud. Hopefully it makes a little sense.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom