all posts post new thread

Nutrition My protein Isolate impact

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

aistis1978

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello everyone,

I am 88 kg and 1.90 cm tall, I am doing exercises with dumbbells and working with bench lifting 3 times a week: Monday Wednesday Friday, after each workout I drink one scoop of my protein isolate with water 500 ml it’s about 30 grams of protein it’s one scoop also I drink a protein when I am not doing exercises that means Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday I put 30 grams protein mix with one banana, some spinach and one avocado and 500 ml water. My question would be : can I use 2 scoops of protein Its about 60 grams when I am doing workouts Monday Wednesday and Friday?

Thanks

@aistis1978, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

I recommend you Google

what is the most protein the body can absorb at one time

and similar phrases. You'll find reference from 20 to 40 grams, depending. I'd say your 30 grams is probably fine as it is, and you'd be better off having the other 30 grams at another time, but I'm no expert.

-S-

can I use 2 scoops of protein Its about 60 grams when I am doing workouts Monday Wednesday and Friday?
Why?

First of all, how did you come up with 60 gram of whey protein per serving?

What effect is going to be elicited with 60 gram of protein? What reserch data is it based on?

With that in mind let's examine some reserach data on...

Muscle Protein Synthesis

1) Research data (Dr Layne Norton, PhD Nutrition/Bodybuilder/Powerlifter)
determine that approximately 30 plus - 40 gram of quality protein stimulates that anabolic process of building muscle mass.

a) Younger Individuals

The research demonstrated that younger individual (in their 20s) are responsive to a minum of just over 30 gram of quality protein per serving.

b) Older Individual

Older individuals need around 40 gram of quailty protein to elicit the same effect as younger individual.

That because younger individuals systems operate more effectively than older individuals.

Pulse Feeding

Pulse Feed means have a large amount of protein in one serving.

Research has demonstraed that older individual who consume up to 80% of their Daily Intake of protein in one meal/seving optimize Muscle Protein Synthesis; an anabolic, muscle building effect.

This approach isn't effective for younger individual.

Refractory Period

Research (Drs Gabe Wison and Layne Norton) found that consuming protein in the above dosages is optimzed when it it is consumed every 4-6 hours.

The Bodybuilding Dogma of consuming protein approximately every three hours has no foundation. It is contra-indicated.

Sponge Example

Think of Muscle Protein Synthesis as a sponge.

When the sponge is dry, it soaks up more water.

When the sponge is soaking wet, it cannot soak up any water.

"The Muscle Protein Sponge"

Metaphorically speaking, the muscle essentially works like a sponge.

Wilson and Norton's research demonstrated that when protein intake was limited to every 4-6 hours, "The Muscle Protein Sponge" had dried out and was able so soak up the protein; it elicited a great anabolic effect.

Medications, Working Out, Etc.

The Refractory Period applies to other things, as well.

Medication are often prescribed to be taken hour apart.

Medication Example

Let say a medication is prescrided to be taken every 6 hours. This would be the Refractory Period; when the medication worn off.

Another dose is then taken after 6 hours to maintain the desired effect, making your well.

By taking it let's say 6 hours later, your body is more responsive to it.

Workout Example

Generally speaking, when specific muscles are trained in an exercise session, they should not be trained again until 48 hour or so later.

That means if you Bench Press on Monday, you should wait until Wednesday to train it again. The 48 hours between Bench Press Training Session allow the muscles to recover and become stronger.

The 48 Hours is the Refractory Period; the muscles have recovered and are ready for another dose of Bench Pressing; which promotes the anabolic process.

The Daily Recommendation Percentage of Protein Per Day

There are various Percentage Recommendation recommended base on body weight. They range from 1.4 to approximately 2.0 gram of per kilogram of body weight per day.

The amount of protein per day is important for individuals, especially in sports; additional factors are even more important.

Summary

1) 30 Plus - 40 Gram of Qualtiy Protein Per Serving

The amount per serving is age based.

Younger individual need approximately 30 plus gram and older individual need around 40 grams.

2) Refractory Period

Muscle Protein Synthesis is optimized when Protein is consume every 4-6 Hours.

The Bodybuilding Dogma of consuming it every three hour is out dated. However, this misinfomation continues to be petuated.

3) The above research information can be found online.

Last edited:
drinking 60 grams per day protein is not a bad
60 Gram Per Day

This amounts to a having job that pay the minimum wage.

You can exist on the minum wage but you will never get ahead.

60 Gram Per Serving

Is this what you meant?

If so, 60 gram Per Serving (Pusle Feeding) has been show to be effective for older individual who need more protein intake at one time to elicit the same effective as a younger individual.

Consuming 60 gram per serving is Over Kill for younger individual.

Using A Sledge Hammer

Consuming 60 gram per serving for someone other than an older individual (Pulse Feeding) amount to using a Sledhammer to kill a fly instead of a Fly Swatter.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom