all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed My quarantine EES-style program

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

dk

Level 4 Valued Member
I'm considering running this EES-style program for the next 8 weeks with the following exercises (all with equipment that I already have in my home gym):

-Deadlifts (barbell, conventional)
-Weighted pull-ups
-Weighted dips
-Standing dumbbell overhead press
-KB Swings

I also do GTG for CoC grippers but only 3-4 sets per day of 3-5 reps, using the trainer or 0.5 (I can close the 1.5 easily for reps with my right hand and have closed the 2 as well).

20min of very light intensity stationary bike 3-4 days a week. 20-30 min walks 3-5 days a week.

That's all I would do.

Three questions:

1. Dips and overhead press are both upper-body push exercises. I really want to focus on increasing my overhead press, especially on my left side, so that has to stay. Do you think the dips would interfere with the overhead presses? I feel that they are sufficiently different as dips are a closed-chain movement and OHP is an open-chain movement. The primary movers are different.

2. I was thinking to do the overhead presses one-side at a time since there is a significant difference between my left and right side for overhead pressing strength. Does this seem like an OK idea?

3. Thoughts on the grippers?

Easy Strength is one exercise per movement category. So skip the dips. I did the DL, dips, chins combo for a couple months last year and it was great.

OK, I will leave out the dips. Unfortunately, I can't find the right kettlebell for swings so those have to be left out or replaced as well.

In a recent podcast, Dan John recommended doing either swings or loaded carries, but not both. His reason was that he prefers to really keep short and sweet, a minimalist program that allows lots of time and energy for training one’s primary sport. I’ve usually done both, doing the carries based on how I feel, more if I feel good, less if I feel like it. I use the extra time to work on a few personal moves that help on the bike, but aren’t real taxing.

Loaded carries are a good idea. However, I worry that combining those with deadlifts will tax my grip strength too much.

I would say that strength training and various kinds of "lifting" in general are my primary sport. I understand that EES is designed with athletes with other important goals in mind so I thought I might try it for the 40 days as a way to recover from previous poorly designed (over)training programs. Put money in the bank, as Pavel and Dan say in the book.

Loaded carries aren’t just farmer walks. Any walking with a load or resistance could be considered a loaded carry. Depending on what you have available, there are options. My favorite is a rack carry, or mixed carry.

Reactions: dk
Brilliant! That never dawned on me TBH. I have Olympic dumbbells with good collars so I might do the goblet carry with this. Or maybe a rack carry with my EZ bar. Do you recommend varying the carries or doing the same variation for all 40 workouts as with the other lifts?

Dan John says to vary them every time. That could be load, volume, type of carry etc. I usually just go by feel and wing it, so not always varied every time. Right now I’m not because I have my carries integrated into some indoor aerobic work. DJ says the body adapts very quickly to loaded carries, so variety is key. I’ve found them to be brilliant even done my haphazard way.

Excellent, I will try it. Just curious, does he say this in the book or is it elsewhere? I can't seem to find it in my copy.

Recent podcast. Check out Dan John’s articles, websites, and forum for more. The book is kinda old now, and its applications have evolved a bit.

Reactions: dk
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom