all posts post new thread

My Quest for Strength

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Decided to lift tomorrow instead, back wasn’t feeling too great until about an hour ago. This stretch really helped me, in case anybody following my log also has some residual lower back pain:

Good workout today. I knew going to the other gym was a good decision. Video coming up for deadlifts. Presses also felt much easier than they did Thursday.

Deadlift

135 x 5
185 x 3
225 x 2
250 x 1
275 x 1
295 x 1
330 x 3 x 2

Press

45 x 5
75 x 3
95 x 2
115 x 1
130 x 3 x 2

I don't like how your back looks with those lifts. I would try for a straighter back, and use some lighter weight if necessary. Maybe add some rows or such.

Did you see it yourself?

I don't like how your back looks with those lifts. I would try for a straighter back, and use some lighter weight if necessary. Maybe add some rows or such.

Did you see it yourself?

I did. I have to drop the weight a bit. Apparently, I got a whole lot weaker in a month, haha.

@Antti could I just ask you something...what degree of thoracic rounding is okay? I know that lumbar rounding isn’t ever good (unless you are a trained strongman lifting Atlas stones), but I looked at the video a few more times. You’d agree with me that the second rep is where things fell apart, correct? Just looking for a second opinion. Thanks.

A certain degree of rounding in the upper back isn't so bad in my book, at least for the advanced lifter. I really can't say how much is too much, and I think it's very much a individual matter; anthropometry, proficiency, risk/reward, etc. But I would recommend to try to avoid it if you can, especially at your age both in general and in lifting. I'd say it stands for both of the lifts.

A certain degree of rounding in the upper back isn't so bad in my book, at least for the advanced lifter. I really can't say how much is too much, and I think it's very much a individual matter; anthropometry, proficiency, risk/reward, etc. But I would recommend to try to avoid it if you can, especially at your age both in general and in lifting. I'd say it stands for both of the lifts.

Okay. Thank you for letting me know about this. I’m going to try and pull my last single with 295 in semi-sumo position tomorrow and see how my back feels with that, because my squat is (or at least it was) maybe 30 pounds or so below my deadlift.

I’m immensely glad this program is over. I’m drained. Going to take a deload week and test maxes.

Day 3, Week 6

Deadlift

135 x 5
185 x 3
225 x 1
250 x 1
275 x 1
295 x 1
330 x 3 x 2

Felt and looked horrible.

Press

45 x 5
75 x 3
95 x 1
115 x 1
130 x 2

Couldn’t do the other two sets.

Chins

3 x 5

Hopefully this program worked lol.

I’m gonna get some advice from the more experienced guys on this forum, how do you guys generally warm up for a 1RM or a top set of 2 or 3? Realistically, I’m gonna try for 385, and then if things go well, for 405. So would you recommend something along the lines of:

135 x 5
185 x 3
225 x 2
250 x 1
275 x 1
315 x 1
345 x 1
385 x 1 — then 405 x 1 possibly?

Thanks in advance.

@Antti @Pavel Macek

First of all, I think it's an individual matter and it may change during a person's career. Some like a lot of reps with small raises, some like really few with big raises.

My last deadlift 1RM was triples at 140, 160 and 180 and then singles at 200, 220 and 240, ending at 265. Total number of reps was 13. A week earlier, I went to 260 with the same weights, but did 5,3,2 as reps for the first three sets. When I first lifted 260, I went two sets of five with 120, triples at 150 and 170, and singles for 190, 210, 235 and finally 260. When I lifted 250 for the first time, it was a triple at 160, a double at 180, then singles at 200, 225 and 250. A total of eight reps. I think that's really minimalistic and quite rare. But I felt great that day and the lift went really well.

So I like to do sets of three to five reps with light weights. When I'm feeling good enough, warm, like I feel the movement pattern is ingrained extra well for the day, I go for singles. I don't really ever do the lifts with just the bar or single plates or such. It works for me. Many have wondered it, and some of them have more experience than me, so I'm hesitant to recommend to do so - but it works for me. I don't do any other kind of warm-up or such either, I just drive to the gym, walk to the platform, and start the main lift as the first thing. That's likely unusual as well.

First of all, I think it's an individual matter and it may change during a person's career. Some like a lot of reps with small raises, some like really few with big raises.

My last deadlift 1RM was triples at 140, 160 and 180 and then singles at 200, 220 and 240, ending at 265. Total number of reps was 13. A week earlier, I went to 260 with the same weights, but did 5,3,2 as reps for the first three sets. When I first lifted 260, I went two sets of five with 120, triples at 150 and 170, and singles for 190, 210, 235 and finally 260. When I lifted 250 for the first time, it was a triple at 160, a double at 180, then singles at 200, 225 and 250. A total of eight reps. I think that's really minimalistic and quite rare. But I felt great that day and the lift went really well.

So I like to do sets of three to five reps with light weights. When I'm feeling good enough, warm, like I feel the movement pattern is ingrained extra well for the day, I go for singles. I don't really ever do the lifts with just the bar or single plates or such. It works for me. Many have wondered it, and some of them have more experience than me, so I'm hesitant to recommend to do so - but it works for me. I don't do any other kind of warm-up or such either, I just drive to the gym, walk to the platform, and start the main lift as the first thing. That's likely unusual as well.

Well, you have a 585 deadlift! You don’t have to warm up with 135. But I’ll keep everything you said in mind. Thanks.

I’m gonna get some advice from the more experienced guys on this forum, how do you guys generally warm up for a 1RM or a top set of 2 or 3? Realistically, I’m gonna try for 385, and then if things go well, for 405. So would you recommend something along the lines of:

135 x 5
185 x 3
225 x 2
250 x 1
275 x 1
315 x 1
345 x 1
385 x 1 — then 405 x 1 possibly?

Thanks in advance.

@Antti @Pavel Macek

Looks good. For 1RM, I would probably skip the 5s and 3s, do 2s instead, and then singles with quite big jumps.

Okay. Would you recommend doing multiple sets of 2 with lighter weights such as 135?

The main thing is - don't get tired before your main goal, new 1RM. Deadlift needs the warmup sets, but don't overdo it.

Well, 385 didn’t happen. I can definitely attribute an unchanging lack of sleep, food, and constant moving around to this problem. I got 385 to my knees after a fairly challenging 355. I then tried to lift 375 and 365, in that order, and failed both of these lifts. I got ridiculously weak, and there’s nothing I can even do to change that. Videos coming later of the 385 fail and the 355 deadlift.

Deadlift

135 x 5
185 x 3
225 x 2
250 x 1
275 x 1
315 x 1
355 x 1
385 x 0
375 x 0
365 x 0

Sad to hear you couldn't do it. It's really not the best idea to try the 375 and 365 after the failed 385 lift, but live and learn.

What was/is your 1RM? Do you have the program you meant to do, and what you did, in a single spreadsheet?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom