all posts post new thread

My Quest for Strength

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hey, I’m having a problem. I hate to say it, but I may have to revert to a more high-frequency, minimalist training approach. I say this only because I’m losing weight without trying (not by much, just by 2-3 pounds over the last few weeks), and whenever I eat extra food, I pay for it the next day. My gut can’t tolerate more food than it’s meant to have (meaning no force feeding), and if I eat extra protein, I also pay for it the next day. Nutrition and my gut health, even more than sleep, is holding me back from lifting more intensely during training and from recovering. It seems to be getting worse with time, so I’m going to look into some of Pavel’s programming. I’d rather make minimal progress on a less than optimal diet than make no progress on a program where I burn out because I can’t perform. Would you guys recommend running PTTP? My pull is around 405, and my press is horribly weak at 140. I’m 179 after a full day of eating, and I’m around 177 upon waking. I’m thinking of adding some ab work, chin-ups, KB swings, and pushups. Or, I may look into the Delorme Method from Beyond Bodybuilding. Apparently, it works even when you’re sleep-deprived and nutrition-deprived (me!).

@Antti, can I get your opinion on this?

What exactly is your question? PTTP Vs DeLorme?

I haven't done either though I have trained pretty close to PTTP and along the general ideas of Pavel.

I think the high-frequency, moderate load a day style like PTTP should work better if you have recovery problems. I know if I do a training session with a total of 100 reps of heavy squats and stiff leg deadlifts, I get ravenous for that day and maybe the next and sleep more as well. If I split that load for the whole week, it doesn't really tax me at all.

I would first set up the main course, and only after trying it out, see what you want for dessert. Try the main exercises for a week and see how you recover, and then add an exercise a time for a week and see how it affects you. And be critical of the exercise selection, if you can do only a few, make them count.

What exactly is your question? PTTP Vs DeLorme?

I haven't done either though I have trained pretty close to PTTP and along the general ideas of Pavel.

I think the high-frequency, moderate load a day style like PTTP should work better if you have recovery problems. I know if I do a training session with a total of 100 reps of heavy squats and stiff leg deadlifts, I get ravenous for that day and maybe the next and sleep more as well. If I split that load for the whole week, it doesn't really tax me at all.

I would first set up the main course, and only after trying it out, see what you want for dessert. Try the main exercises for a week and see how you recover, and then add an exercise a time for a week and see how it affects you. And be critical of the exercise selection, if you can do only a few, make them count.

This is a great idea. I’ll run a cycle of PTTP and see what I can add in while recovering. Can I do it with Squats and Bench? I think that would probably have more benefit for me than DL and Bench.

Last edited:
Yes, you can do it with squats and bench and it's a great combination.

If you're interested in the kettlebell swing the squat would also be a better option than the deadlift in that setting.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom