all posts post new thread

Kettlebell My S+S life.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TomP30

Level 2 Valued Member
Apologies, it’s another 40 something here that’s found S+S!

Stats: 47yrs old, 5’8 and 177lbs. Married, stressful job, 3 teenage kids (enough said).

I’ve always had an interest in looking after myself, but didn’t really get ‘into’ anything serious until my early 30’s. Back then it was cycling, running, callisthenics and some kettlebell training of sorts, but work/life always got in the way. Fast forward to 2020, 45 years old and life takes a severe turn for the worst. 20 months of hell followed, notwithstanding the COVID pandemic. At the end of it all I'd smoked and drank myself into oblivion a thousand times, developed a superb tyre and was over 190lbs in weight, not in a good way. In general I'd ruined my physical and mental health. 2022 and I'm getting myself back on my feet, and desperately thinking about how to recover my strength and general fitness. I ditch the drink, the cigarettes, and I find Pavel's S+S again, but this time I'm determined to follow it properly, so I get myself set up with 16, 20 and 24 Kettlebells and I get to work.

I'm training on average 5-6 times a week, as directed. I do the prescribed stretches and mobility exercises, and I stick to the routine 100 swings and 10 Get-Ups. At least once a week doing 2-hand swings flat out. At the end of each practice I hang on my pull-up bar for around 45-60 secs, and most nights I also follow the practice with two or three sets of 5 x chin-ups, or 20 x press-ups, I just find these help me to loosen up, and I just like chin-ups. I'm now 8 weeks in, and I've dropped the 16 and 20kg kettlebells; I've bought a 32kg and am comfortably swinging this (2-hand) for 100 swings, and when I'm swinging 1-hand I've incorporated it into my last two sets, after after the 24kg. I'm comfortably doing ten TGU's with the 24kg, and as of this week I've managed to do 1 TGU both sides with the 32kg, something that when I started, I couldn't honestly see myself managing. I've lost 10lbs in weight, lost my 'tyre' but have gone up a shirt size because my back and shoulders are building; I'm stronger I think, than I've ever been. I'm trying NOT to progress too quickly; I keep thinking about what Pavel said, and even if the 24kg feels too easy, I'm sticking with it for now, just gradually stepping up with the 32kg. My goal is 'Timeless Simple', by August-September, if I manage that I will feel I've achieved something. Just a brilliant programme, thank you Pavel!

Yep. It's hard to knock this program for someone on the downslope of life and having "mileage" that's left a toll on the body. I'm in nearly the same boat. 45, five kids under 13. Abused body from doing dumb athletic events/fitness fads. I just want to keep my mobility and improve my strength, especially as my kids get older.

S&S (with the warmup) and some GTG bodyweight and stretching is just about all I do and will be until I own the 32KG for timeless Simple. I am also in the process of step progressing from the 24KG to the 32KG in both movements. Once I reach the 32KG timeless I will decide if I want to add anything else, but I could see being content to just do only this program at 32KG or 40KG for the rest of my days, with some limited cals like pulls and one-arm pushups to augment and even more focus on flexibility.

I am also considering mixing in one day per week of Dan John's armor building complex after I reach Simple goals, using double KB's of offset weight. Again I could see that as being "just enough" extra and continue to focus on adding more weight and reaching for timeless Sinister, and eventually timed. That would be a good goal for age 50.

Stats: 47yrs old, 5’8 and 177lbs. Married, stressful job, 3 teenage kids (enough said).

I’ve always had an interest in looking after myself, but didn’t really get ‘into’ anything serious until my early 30’s. Back then it was cycling, running, callisthenics and some kettlebell training of sorts, but work/life always got in the way. Fast forward to 2020, 45 years old and life takes a severe turn for the worst. 20 months of hell followed, notwithstanding the COVID pandemic. At the end of it all I'd smoked and drank myself into oblivion a thousand times, developed a superb tyre and was over 190lbs in weight, not in a good way. In general I'd ruined my physical and mental health. 2022 and I'm getting myself back on my feet, and desperately thinking about how to recover my strength and general fitness. I ditch the drink, the cigarettes, and I find Pavel's S+S again, but this time I'm determined to follow it properly, so I get myself set up with 16, 20 and 24 Kettlebells and I get to work.

I'm training on average 5-6 times a week, as directed. I do the prescribed stretches and mobility exercises, and I stick to the routine 100 swings and 10 Get-Ups. At least once a week doing 2-hand swings flat out. At the end of each practice I hang on my pull-up bar for around 45-60 secs, and most nights I also follow the practice with two or three sets of 5 x chin-ups, or 20 x press-ups, I just find these help me to loosen up, and I just like chin-ups. I'm now 8 weeks in, and I've dropped the 16 and 20kg kettlebells; I've bought a 32kg and am comfortably swinging this (2-hand) for 100 swings, and when I'm swinging 1-hand I've incorporated it into my last two sets, after after the 24kg. I'm comfortably doing ten TGU's with the 24kg, and as of this week I've managed to do 1 TGU both sides with the 32kg, something that when I started, I couldn't honestly see myself managing. I've lost 10lbs in weight, lost my 'tyre' but have gone up a shirt size because my back and shoulders are building; I'm stronger I think, than I've ever been. I'm trying NOT to progress too quickly; I keep thinking about what Pavel said, and even if the 24kg feels too easy, I'm sticking with it for now, just gradually stepping up with the 32kg. My goal is 'Timeless Simple', by August-September, if I manage that I will feel I've achieved something. Just a brilliant programme, thank you Pavel!
Welcome to the forum! You should start a log if you haven't done so. Everyone of us on here was in some ways in your shoes at one point or another and have a good amount of knowledge (some good/some not so much) we have come across and can help you out if you have any questions.

P.S. I forgot to add. I naturally adapted S&S a little bit. Probably my nerd/hacker background in IT.

- Early on I was doing the getups in reverse order. Not because I was trying to improve them somehow, but out of laziness. I always do them in right/left pairs and hated having to move me or the kettlebell around on the floor. But one added "bonus" is that doing the movement as a "get-down, get back up" I added a clean and press to get it overhead and then one arm floor press at the bottom of the movement. This seems to have accelerated my progress, but not without cost. I had to back it off a bit due to an old collarbone fracture. I now do a mix of regular and reverse order getups. Without training for it I found due to the reverse getups I didn't have much trouble pressing my 32KG bell after I got it.

- Something else I've pondered. So many people overlook the warmup movements. Even on off days where I don't do a S&S training session, I'm still likely to do the warmup and some stretching. 90/90, QL, birddog, cat/cow, pullup bar hangs and lumbar stretches. But I digress. One could continue to add load to the halo and the goblet squat. I've done some 32KG goblets and they aren't fun. I've also done 24KG halos, but can't see doing 32KG halos.
I could see adding a heavy sandbag though and "bearhugging" to continue to increase the goblet squat weight...or changing from goblet to double KB front squat and still focusing on keeping it a deep squat and still prying or cycling between goblet and DFSQ. Likewise, halos could probably be replaced with another strength/mobility movement in the warm up like club work.

Since Pavel suggests that later on those warmup movements can be dropped, I don't consider it a perversion of still doing S&S if those warmup movements are replaced with a similar squat and shoulder exercise that can add more weight progression. Regardless, even in my experimentation I come back to following it to the letter of the law in Pavel's book at least a couple times a week.

Last edited:
Hi guys and many thanks for your comments and words of support, really appreciated. I have been keeping a log since I started, I find it helps with the motivation. I'm looking forward to checking in and reporting progress and seeing how everyone else is doing, and I'll certainly be grateful for any words of advice along the way. Many thanks and have a great weekend.

P.S. I forgot to add. I naturally adapted S&S a little bit. Probably my nerd/hacker background in IT.

- Early on I was doing the getups in reverse order. Not because I was trying to improve them somehow, but out of laziness. I always do them in right/left pairs and hated having to move me or the kettlebell around on the floor. But one added "bonus" is that doing the movement as a "get-down, get back up" I added a clean and press to get it overhead and then one arm floor press at the bottom of the movement. This seems to have accelerated my progress, but not without cost. I had to back it off a bit due to an old collarbone fracture. I now do a mix of regular and reverse order getups. Without training for it I found due to the reverse getups I didn't have much trouble pressing my 32KG bell after I got it.

- Something else I've pondered. So many people overlook the warmup movements. Even on off days where I don't do a S&S training session, I'm still likely to do the warmup and some stretching. 90/90, QL, birddog, cat/cow, pullup bar hangs and lumbar stretches. But I digress. One could continue to add load to the halo and the goblet squat. I've done some 32KG goblets and they aren't fun. I've also done 24KG halos, but can't see doing 32KG halos.
I could see adding a heavy sandbag though and "bearhugging" to continue to increase the goblet squat weight...or changing from goblet to double KB front squat and still focusing on keeping it a deep squat and still prying or cycling between goblet and DFSQ. Likewise, halos could probably be replaced with another strength/mobility movement in the warm up like club work.

Since Pavel suggests that later on those warmup movements can be dropped, I don't consider it a perversion of still doing S&S if those warmup movements are replaced with a similar squat and shoulder exercise that can add more weight progression. Regardless, even in my experimentation I come back to following it to the letter of the law in Pavel's book at least a couple times a week.
I change my warm ups around based on where I'm training and how I'm feeling or time of day. First thing in the a.m. I really need to get my body primed so I may add more to my warm up. If I'm in a gym I may do Zercher Squats instead of Goblet Squats or 3 way lateral raises instead of swing a bell around my head. It just depends on what I need.

Hi guys and many thanks for your comments and words of support, really appreciated. I have been keeping a log since I started, I find it helps with the motivation. I'm looking forward to checking in and reporting progress and seeing how everyone else is doing, and I'll certainly be grateful for any words of advice along the way. Many thanks and have a great weekend.
Hi; is your training log anywhere public? Your Physical stats and life background is similar to me. I am impressed by how fast ypu have progressed. Did you do KB swings before? Did you start S&S from the get go?

Wow amazing to hear you even got some muscle gains in S&S!

Once I reach the 32KG timeless I will decide if I want to add anything else, but I could see being content to just do only this program at 32KG or 40KG for the rest of my days, with some limited cals like pulls and one-arm pushups to augment and even more focus on flexibility.
+1. Totally feel the same way.

When I trained Get ups I always did them in that manner. My reasoning was that all that rolling about on the deck wasn’t as fluid and the basic fact that when people are exercising and end up on their back, they tend to stay there. I also had space constraints and always had to turn a certain direction after the C+P to do my “get down get up”. Even with space I still did this. I believe it’s a “Gardners lift” when done in this fashion.

Hi; is your training log anywhere public? Your Physical stats and life background is similar to me. I am impressed by how fast ypu have progressed. Did you do KB swings before? Did you start S&S from the get go?
Hi Ege, No I don't currently keep a public training log, I use an 'old school' paperback workout log as I like to make notes on the hoof. Thanks for your kind words, really appreciated. I had done KB exercise before, but not in such a dedicated way; I tended to mix them up with bodyweight training and had only 16kg and 20kg bells, I got into these as I liked the idea of the ability to do some form of weight training and didn't have enough room for benches and barbells etc.

Reactions: Ege
Might sound a dumba** question; but if you do, how do you guys keep a public training log? I'd be more than happy to post some screenshots, but I don't know if there is somewhere on the forum especially for this kind of thing.

Update: As of this week (week 10) I've been incorporating more 32kg sets into my 1 hand swings and TGU's, so first two sets for swings and get ups I do with the 24kg, then two sets with the 32kg, final set back to the 24kg. Pete L very helpfully explained this progression regime to me and it has helped immensely. I do find I have to take a longer rest between the sets using the 32kg, a couple of minutes at least at the moment.
Observations swinging the 32kg (1 hand): I'm not able (yet) to swing it as high as the 24kg, and I really have to focus on engaging my abs, also my grip by the end of the second set is starting to weaken, although I think this might also be psychological, as the 32kg (Wolverson Black) has a much smoother finish to the handle to my 24kg (also a Wolverson but Bison series), and even though I'm using more chalk it still feels a little slippy and at the top of the swing I find myself having to quickly reassert my grip.

Last edited:
Old post this, but wanted to mark a personal milestone tonight as I’ve achieved Timeless Simple!! 8 minutes on the swing and 20 minutes for the TGU, a bit of work to do to get to Simple, but I’m really pleased nevertheless.

Well played Tom.

I am only 31 but at a point where I’m feeling constantly beat up/exhausted from everyday life right now (stressful job, illnesses, poor sleep - 1 year old daughter, poor posture).

I’m hoping “backing off” to S&S and progressing slowly will serve me as well as it has you, and others here, so I have a solid base to build from when I get more time/energy.

Many thanks and I wish you all the best with your goals, and I know all too well how all of those things play havoc with your life. Don’t worry, you will get through all of it and your daughter will think you are the best, but to do that you must look after yourself also. And definitely don’t have three kids under the age of three, that will mess with your head. S&S has really helped me over the past 8 months, I was in a real mess when I started, the worst shape of my life, but I feel stronger now than ever before. My goal is to achieve Timed Simple in the next three months and then try one of Geoff Neuperts programs, they look really interesting.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom