all posts post new thread

Kettlebell My S&S Mistakes and Corrections

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

billyp

Level 4 Valued Member
My S&S Mistakes and Corrections

Here is a pretty long post about the mistakes and corrections I made with my S&S training. Stats: 54 year old man. 165cm (5' 5"), 59kg (130 lbs.), about 12% bf range. I started S&S in August of 2016 and stuck with it until about April of 2017. I worked my way up to working with the 32k KB but never officially got to the Simple goal. I changed my program at that point because I felt like I hit a wall...not even a plateau. I did ROP until about June of 2017 and felt the wall again. Then switched to some bodyweight and barbells. I went back to S&S in March of this year until May and then in June I worked on Barbell Rx. I always feel better overall doing S&S for my needs so then in September I went back to S&S. S&S gives me everything I personally need and I always feel more mobile, have better balance, plenty of strength and overall feel great. I have a pretty sedentary job (guitar and amplifier tech as well as musician) so I do not need a great amount of absolute strength.

My mistakes and corrections:

1- Rest between sets: While I didn’t “test” every session I was basically swinging EMOM for every session and not really pacing myself. Get-ups were paced a little bit better but I always felt hurried and rushed so there was an anxious energy about my training. I now swing after about a 1 min rest and this has helped a lot. The swing part of the training session feels more paced and solid. Get-ups feel more paced and solid as well.

2- Pushing too hard too often: Along with the hurried/rushed feeling I constantly tried to increase the KB size. I missed the “explore the movement” and practice element of the training. I trained hard even if I did not feel up to it for whatever reason (poor sleep, stress, etc). I now approach my training as an overall process and I have fun with each session which translates into productive training. I was trying to push myself into adaptation instead of sort of coaxing adaptation along.

3- Technique was a little off: I noticed that my back would be kind of tight/aching often and figured it was from the swings. One cue I read somewhere (here on the forum or the SF blog) about trying to reach your butt into a tire behind you and that totally clicked. It was a very subtle cue but unlocked a lot of power and endurance in my swings. Now my swings feel much more powerful and solid.

4- Not taking light days: This goes in hand with pushing too hard too often. My training week is pretty much the same every week. I train first thing in the morning in a fasted state which works well for me. My main training days are Mon, Wed & Fri. On the other days of the week I train with a lighter KB and for less volume. This definitely helps with practicing and grooving the movements as well as recovery. I notice I feel much better doing at the very least a couple sets of 10 swings per arm and a couple Get-ups with a light KB daily. I feel more mobile and don’t get sore. These lighter days are like a tonic.

5- Adding a little too much “extra”: Looking back over my training log I see that I was adding “extra” exercises that are not necessary at all. The “extras” were all good exercises (pistols, pushups, pullups, hanging leg raises, etc) but not necessary and probably took away from the effectiveness of the S&S program as well as eating into recovery. Mind you I did not do all the “extras” every session but I added a few every session here and there. Now I stick to S&S but I do DL every Friday 1 set of 5 reps with a moderate weight (about 1.25x bodyweight). I notice I feel stronger when I lift something relatively heavy and the 1x per week DL is not hindering at all. I believe it is helping my overall strength. I will increase slowly over the weeks...not rush this.

6- Skimping on the Goblet Squats: For me there is absolute pure gold in the Goblet Squat. I believe the Goblet Squat is an integral part of the S&S program and absolutely should not be neglected or taken lightly. These are awesome all around.

7- Diet: Last but not least was my diet. This could be a chapter in a book..lol. I was following a low carb (under 100g per day from veggies and some berries) for about 7 years. I was also incorporating a Warrior/IF type of eating. While I felt pretty good (or so I thought) I saw a link here in the Nutrition forum to an article on the Muscle For Life site about why low carb dieting sucks or something like that. I checked it out for some reason and I decided to increase my carb intake. Long story/process short I kept protein intake the same (about 1g/lb of bodyweight) and decreased my fat intake and increased carb intake to make up for the calories. Results: Whoa… Recovery is unbelievably better (REALLY), easier to gain some muscle, I feel stronger, better mental focus during the day, better sleep, overall drive is up, more endurance during each training session...I could go on and on. I don’t eat in the Warrior/IF style any longer either. I eat 3x per day with my first meal about 8am after training and my last meal at dinner about 5pm. I do not snack after my dinner meal. I do not feel hungry until after my morning training session so there is somewhat of a fasting element there.

So there it is….all the mistakes I made and the corrections. Now my S&S training is going very well and I’m excited about each session and the noticeable progress.

Good for you @billyp! Remarkably similar to me.
That's S&S for you. It's swings and get ups but so much more. It is all that tweaking, discovery and learning that sets up an individualised loading experience over time which, in turn, carries over to other pursuits. You learn about your capabilities or lack of , bringing greater awareness. Takes a while to suss it all out though, as you say. The goals, I think, rightly or wrongly, are kind of red herrings in a way. The real goal is the discovery process.
I take what I've learned from S&S and apply it to everything. Having some level of insight when to step on the pedal or back off rather than being in a state of oblivion, is such a shift for me. And I'm grateful and better for it.

@billyp : Wow, thanks so much for sharing! I especially like your statements about exploring the movments and using light days for recovery and practice.

7- Diet: Last but not least was my diet. This could be a chapter in a book..lol. I was following a low carb (under 100g per day from veggies and some berries) for about 7 years. I was also incorporating a Warrior/IF type of eating. While I felt pretty good (or so I thought) I saw a link here in the Nutrition forum to an article on the Muscle For Life site about why low carb dieting sucks or something like that. I checked it out for some reason and I decided to increase my carb intake. Long story/process short I kept protein intake the same (about 1g/lb of bodyweight) and decreased my fat intake and increased carb intake to make up for the calories. Results: Whoa… Recovery is unbelievably better (REALLY), easier to gain some muscle, I feel stronger, better mental focus during the day, better sleep, overall drive is up, more endurance during each training session...I could go on and on. I don’t eat in the Warrior/IF style any longer either. I eat 3x per day with my first meal about 8am after training and my last meal at dinner about 5pm. I do not snack after my dinner meal. I do not feel hungry until after my morning training session so there is somewhat of a fasting element there.

I can relate to ALL of your comments on diet right now. These past 5 weeks with the help of a nutrition coach I've substantially upped my carb intake while keeping fat much lower than normal to result in a slight caloric deficit. I've lost 6 lbs of bodyweight and my energy for training is better than ever. Also very substantially, my energy throughout the day is better, including my mental energy. Those periods of "brain fog" or "that task is just too hard to think about right now, I'll work on something easier for a while and come back to it later" have disappeared completely.

I"m sure there are benefits to low carb, being fat adapted, etc., and I've done that to varying degrees for many years now, but I have to say high carb is really working well for me right now!

Thanks for your great observations and congratulations on your progress.

These past 5 weeks with the help of a nutrition coach I've substantially upped my carb intake while keeping fat much lower than normal to result in a slight caloric deficit
Hi Anna, could you share a bit of how you are getting in your carbs? I've upped my carbs to about 100g daily and I'm feeling better than ever. I was thinking of experimenting with your high carb approach.

I can relate to ALL of your comments on diet right now. These past 5 weeks with the help of a nutrition coach I've substantially upped my carb intake while keeping fat much lower than normal to result in a slight caloric deficit. I've lost 6 lbs of bodyweight and my energy for training is better than ever. Also very substantially, my energy throughout the day is better, including my mental energy. Those periods of "brain fog" or "that task is just too hard to think about right now, I'll work on something easier for a while and come back to it later" have disappeared completely.

I"m sure there are benefits to low carb, being fat adapted, etc., and I've done that to varying degrees for many years now, but I have to say high carb is really working well for me right now!

Awesome...! I also notice a boost in mood probably due to increased seratonin and dopamine. At least I think this is the reason.

@billyp thanks for sharing all the lessons learned! I've definitely experienced (and continue to experience from time to time) all the pitfalls you've listed.

@billyp and @Anna C what are your go to sources for carbs?

Hi Anna, could you share a bit of how you are getting in your carbs? I've upped my carbs to about 100g daily and I'm feeling better than ever. I was thinking of experimenting with your high carb approach.

I should clarify, it's a targeted macros approach, not just high-carb... Just increasing carbs without making any other changes will get you into trouble quickly. Probably just stating the obvious :) But you really have to be vigilant in reigning in protein and fat when you deliberately increase carbs. I use MyFitnessPal. Currently I'm at about 2,300 cal/day with 27% from protein, 44% from carbohydrate, and 29% from fat. So that gives me 1,000 cal/day (or 250g) of carbs, but I have to look for things that don't put me over on the fat or protein. Some of what I've been eating:
  • Steel cut oats. I cook 4 servings at a time (1 c dry steel cut oats + 3 c water) in the rice cooker in the morning, put them in containers and eat them plain, either hot or cold. They're delicious.
  • Rice - so far just white rice, but I'm going to start experimenting with brown rice, wild rice, and other cooked grains like quinoa.
  • Fruit! Bananas, apples, clementines, and mixed frozen fruit.
  • Starchy vegetables: white potatoes, sweet potatoes, acorn squash.
  • Other vegetables: broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, asparagus, spinach.
  • Bread... wonderful bread that I gave up for so long. I like the grainy stuff, and Ezikiel bread.
  • Some cereal, but not too sugary or processed. Bob's Red Mill Muesli, Kashi, etc.
My nutrition coach has me eat 1/3 of the carbs before training and 1/3 after training, on training days. This is of a HLM barbell program where I train 3 days per week. This has really helped me get through the sessions better, and I think recover better also. The oats and fruit are really great for that. Then the rest of the day I eat about the carbs I normally would have eaten before starting this eating plan.

This may be a lo-tech approach but I basically set my protein intake at about body weight in grams and then I set my fat intake at just under half body weight in grams. I am weighing about 130 now so I get as close to 130g in protein and about 60g in fat per day. So about 520 cals from protein and about 540 cals from fat= 1060 cals total so far. I try to eat around 1900 cals per day give or take so the balance of cals would be from carbs 840 cals or about 210g. I have been keeping a Fred Flintstone type simple food log with a page of all the foods I typically eat and just build meals from the list....lot's of meals basically repeat so it's easy. I've been doing it this way for years. "Dieting" or eating style is not a mental or emotional challenge for me. I can change my diet and foods on a dime if it makes me feel better. I don't really have any cravings or miss certain foods. Like I have not had pizza, ice cream or junk food in many years and don't miss it.

So my carb sources:
1- Incidental carbs from greens, veggies and dairy that are not what I call carb focused foods like the rest of the list.
2- Starchy: Yams, brown rice, beans, rice cakes, peas.
3- Fruity: Apples, bananas, pears, berries, figs,
4- Grainy: I don't favor grains but do eat some quinoa, amaranth/quinoa bread and pumpernickel bread I get at my local HF store every now and then. The slices are super thin and dense. If I am out to dinner in a restaurant (rare..) and feel like having a piece of bread however I will have it.
Last: I really, really love Green & Blacks 85% dark chocolate and will have about a 1" square piece after dinner. Dessert I guess...lol.

I was experimenting with food combining and didn't notice any diff combining whatever foods together. Food combining is probably great if someone has an issue and wants to either figure out if a food is causing the issue so I combine all macros together. I also notice that my new higher carb/lower fat meals digest faster and easier. Higher fat meals for me keep me full for a really long time and often I still felt kind of full and wasn't hungry for a meal some hours later. My dietary changes have made a really big difference overall for the better.

Every one of the OP points is me. I have made great progress in all aspects, including appearance, but I feel like a cat chasing its tail.

You gave me things to think about.

Thanks for the tire analogy. That will be good for one hand for me.

First hand, eyes on observation here. While I am currently away with work, I was around @Anna C three mornings a week for roughly her first two weeks of added carbs. Anna almost instantly reported more energy before training (we both arrive 6:00~6:30 a.m.) and yes, the brain fog lifted!! Before, don't even think about mentioning anything to do with numbers to Anna. She would look at me like I was speaking Chinese!! Anna is also extremely methodical and analytical about EVERYTHING. That's why she can operate so close to her max. The added carbs had a positive effect all the way around. Anyone else, I'd have said it could be a bit psychological. As incredibly organized and aware as Anna is, it's definitely a product of added carbs.

First hand, eyes on observation here. While I am currently away with work, I was around @Anna C three mornings a week for roughly her first two weeks of added carbs. Anna almost instantly reported more energy before training (we both arrive 6:00~6:30 a.m.) and yes, the brain fog lifted!! Before, don't even think about mentioning anything to do with numbers to Anna. She would look at me like I was speaking Chinese!! Anna is also extremely methodical and analytical about EVERYTHING. That's why she can operate so close to her max. The added carbs had a positive effect all the way around. Anyone else, I'd have said it could be a bit psychological. As incredibly organized and aware as Anna is, it's definitely a product of added carbs.
Interesting stuff, I was forever a carb based glyco-maniac with MA and weight training. Now I've dropped off carbs alot but feel like I need maybe a bit more here and there as the brain fog can be a problem.
I must be careful about timing and blood sugar fluctuations, the worst thing I can do is eat a small carb based meal by itself and then go for several hours without eating, this crashes my blood sugar levels. I believe the solution is to eat a handful of almonds first, then I can have carbs (slow burners) along with some additional fats and a bit of protein. This tends to smooth out the blood sugar roller coaster..

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom