all posts post new thread

Kettlebell My S&S Routine Videos

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Todd Friedrich

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to this forum and to the S&S program, but am really learning from this forum, so thanks for all the great advise and content. That being said, I wanted to upload some videos of both my one-handed swing and get-up, and put myself out there for critique, advise, encouragement, whatever. I greatly appreciate being part of this forum, and look forward to continuing my journey to Simple.

Thanks in advance,
Todd

@Todd Friedrich,
I can tell a little more from a side angle, but your swings look really good.

A couple of small things I notice:
You might be able to sit back deeper into the hinge.

You had one rep (I think the third one on you left side), where you got rocked back on your heels. It happens, but try to stay rooted and balanced over your feet throughout the swing, instead of having your weight shift forward and back.

Your knees look a little snappy. You do want to extend the knees crisply, but avoid snapping them back into the lockout. Extend, then contract the quads ('pull the kneecaps up") as you reach full extension. You also don't want your knees to snap hard enough to make your feet jump, slide, rock, or interrupt your root and balance in any way.

You might experiment a bit with your stance width and degree of turnout. Your stance seems a little wide and turned out. I think there is a lot of room for individual variation in stance, so your stance isn't necessarily a problem. The best stance for you is the one that allows you to be most comfortable and powerful so a little experimentation can be very worthwhile.

Brett Jones has an article about adjusting your stance: Adjust Your Sails (and Your Stance) with the Lock and Rock

Personally, the method in the article doesn't really work for me. I get very self-conscious about where my feet are pointing and can't just let them point where they "want" to. But the point about experimenting to find a stance that works well for you is valid, even if you don't use this specific method.

@Todd Friedrich,
I can tell a little more from a side angle, but your swings look really good.

A couple of small things I notice:
You might be able to sit back deeper into the hinge.

You had one rep (I think the third one on you left side), where you got rocked back on your heels. It happens, but try to stay rooted and balanced over your feet throughout the swing, instead of having your weight shift forward and back.

Your knees look a little snappy. You do want to extend the knees crisply, but avoid snapping them back into the lockout. Extend, then contract the quads ('pull the kneecaps up") as you reach full extension. You also don't want your knees to snap hard enough to make your feet jump, slide, rock, or interrupt your root and balance in any way.

You might experiment a bit with your stance width and degree of turnout. Your stance seems a little wide and turned out. I think there is a lot of room for individual variation in stance, so your stance isn't necessarily a problem. The best stance for you is the one that allows you to be most comfortable and powerful so a little experimentation can be very worthwhile.

Brett Jones has an article about adjusting your stance: Adjust Your Sails (and Your Stance) with the Lock and Rock

Personally, the method in the article doesn't really work for me. I get very self-conscious about where my feet are pointing and can't just let them point where they "want" to. But the point about experimenting to find a stance that works well for you is valid, even if you don't use this specific method.

@Steve W. thanks for the feedback. I didn't notice the rock back on my heels. I'll make sure to stay as rooted as possible, without snapping the knees at the top. Thanks for the feedback.

Swing looks really good.

Getups look good too. One thing to correct --- they were VERY picky about this at the cert --- is your bell-side heel during the low sweep. The whole foot is supposed to stay planted on the ground while you sweep the other leg through. Your heel picks up a bit. You can see it at approximately :09 and :39. It's hard to tell from the angle, but it looks like that foot is staying planted on the way down.

To be completely honest, I'm not sure why it's such a big deal to keep that heel on the ground, but apparently it is. I guess it's just because you're supposed to maintain a maximally stable base throughout the entire movement, and a whole foot is more stable than the front of a foot.

Anyway, looks to me like you're doing great. Good work!

They both look good to me, but there's always room for improvement.

On the TGU, from this angle it seems that you allow your non-bell shoulder to relax a bit after the roll to elbow (and similarly on the way down). This results in a little bit of shrugging, which indicates that your shoulder is not packed as well as it could be.

It looks like you passed the kettlebell over your chest when changing sides in the get ups. This is not a safe move. Either halo it around your head or change your body position.

It also looks like you are rushing the TGUs. I'll let an expert reply on this.

Both look decent to me. When you switch side in get up you should do it differently. You don't wanna drop the bell on your chest or face. :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom