all posts post new thread

Old Forum My Simple & Sinister Story or "Get over yourself and do it."

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ThorsFavoriteGoat

Level 6 Valued Member
I have been lifting for 20+ years, focused on being big and strong. I got my wish, but also got fat. Like probably 25% body fat at 250lbs.

March 2015 - I was about to turn 40. I was overweight, had just been put on blood pressure medicine and diagnosed with sleep apnea. Talk about a reality check. Chasing a 600lb deadlift was literally killing me.

I had to make some changes.

First, I quit drinking. I didn’t have a “problem” per se, but I was having a 1-2 servings of whiskey EVERY night. In a social setting, that grow to 3-4.

Second, I adopted a strict Paleo diet. I am lucky to live in Portland, and have a dedicated Paleo restaurant within walking distance. I am eating all of my calories between noon and 8pm, and keeping total carbs under 100 grams per day. No other calorie counting or restrictions.

Finally, I got back to the real basics of physical fitness. For me, that means at least 30 minutes of walking every day and training with kettlebells 4-5 days per week. I made the commitment to following Pavel’s Simple and Sinister. Really following it.  Nothing but 100 one arm swings and 10 get ups until I can meet the performance standards. If I get bored, I suck it up, and I stick with it. That's part of being a grown-up. The key to that has been shutting out all of the “strength training noise” that has often led me to jump to a shinier, more exciting training program. If it's not from Dan John, Pavel or another reputable SFG instructor, I ignore it.

10 weeks in, I am down 21 lbs. I don’t need the blood pressure medicine, and I have stopped snoring all together. I have had to buy smaller pants twice now. I have actually gained muscle. My shoulders, chest, abs, hips and booty are all noticeably bigger and more defined.

Additionally, I have gone from struggling to get 50 one arm swings with the 24kg to owning 100 reps. This week, I got a 32kg bell and I am working that into the program. I can’t wait to see the changes I achieve by the time I master that bell.

Baker,

Thanks for posting this, I really needed a message like this.  Was thinking about straying from the S&S program.

Stan:

I know exactly what you mean, and I know that others have the same thoughts. Now, everytime I consider adding this or modifying that, I have a quote from Coach Dan John in my head:

"Performance standards dictate complexity in training, dumbass."

I may have inferred the "dumbass" part, but I am pretty sure that's what he meant.

Then, I swallow my pride, and do my swings and get ups.

I simply refuse to entertain other programs/goals until the Simple goals are accomplished. My goal is October, but I am committed for as long as it takes.

Baker,

Yeah, I'm always thinking that I need to do pullups or something else, and I "add blue" to the program. I'm like you, I see something on the web or in a magazine and get distracted.  Then my gains go away...

I love reading these S&S threads, as well as being a great gpp programme it teaches you a bit about yourself. Its bigger than just a kb programme, its like having your own mentor keeping you in check.

Great post, Baker!  These are the best posts because they truly teach the most.  Congrats on your work and the results!!

Update:

Last Friday, I "gradutated" to performing all 100 swings with the 32. Body felt good, but I destroyed my hands. Deep bloody tears on both palms, and 6 fingers.

Now, I follow all of the hand care advice typically doled out; pumice stone, corn huskers lotion, etc. The calluses that i earned while "owning" the 24 aren't lined up with the contact points of the 32 with my delicate little hands.

Since I enjoy other hobbies such as grasping things and wiping my own bottom, I invested in some athletic tape for the fingers, and these Bear Komplex grips for the palms:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WXZQX4M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I chalked up, and even with my current tears, was able to get a good training session in on Monday. While I am sure you can't complete the SFG with these on, I think they are a good option for the 80% of us who are training for fitness and general badassery. It's an option to consider if you are having hand trouble.

Liquid Band Aid works pretty good too to help them heal a bit faster if you have a bad tear.

So true, my one worry was that I would lose my strength by giving up pressing, pull ups, deadlifts, etc. To my surprise my strength, cardio, and flexibility has all increased tremendously!! No more shoulder issues, or tight upper traps. I honestly love this program. I work in construction and also do Muay Thai so I'm limited to my workouts, but both work and training have just been a breeze!! My strikes feel so much powerful and snappy, I wish I would've known about Kettlebells 5 years ago, I wouldve never touched a barbell!!

Great thread. Very inspiring!

I may try out these Bear Complex grips. I have a pair of Natural Grips, but I don't like having to either tape them or wear wraps.

Baker - i dont want to take anything away from your accomplishments, sounds like you are training well and seeing positive results - congrats - but it also sounds like you are "over gripping" your bell - i can kind of see the type of bloody hands result you described from doing an all out set of 200 non stop snatches for the first time, but swings should not be that abusive to your hands, especially your palms. the bell should really be supported loosely by the hook of your fingers. you should find an SFG to check your hand position. this type of result is a sign that your hand placement is incorrect and it will hinder your progress moving forward.

Marchese, thanks for the insight. I know that when I get tired, I start to choke the life out of the handle. I'm trying to be more aware of that with the heavy bell.

I learned the basic kettlebell movements from former RKC Mike Mahler a couple of years ago, but I am sure a few SFG sessions would be beneficial.

Agree with Marchese - and it's not just about gripping too hard. It's more about positioning.

Try not to pinch the callouses with the handle. This can be difficult because doing so helps your grip last a little longer, but as you found out, it can also tear up your hands. It uses the "meat" of the callouses to help your grip. Again, that's not what you want.

So, your line of callouses runs at the base of the fingers. Position the handle so it lies on the finger side of the callous line, not on the palm side. This puts the handle in the hook of the fingers.

When you put the handle on the palm side, it pinches the "meat" of the callouses and makes a tear more likely.

I hope this makes sense in text. It will make more sense if you get a kettlebell and follow along.

I had the same issues with bloody hands when I started with the 32, in where the handle was a different size from the 24 and did not line up with the calluses that had formed so back to ripped hands

I also put it down to overgripping the kb, but as my grip got stronger and used to the heft of the 32 the problem went away again and I managed to hook it rather than grip it again

Thanks all for the feedback. I am embracing "Beginner Status" even after 20+ years of lifting, and it is LIBERATING. I highly recommend it to anyone ready for progress.

Jason, that makes perfect sense as does Claude's post. Frankly, my hook grip isn't strong enough for 100 reps with the 32. It will be soon.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom