all posts post new thread

Bodyweight My situation/my plan

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Spencer907

Level 1 Valued Member
My situation:
Been lifting heavy, Strongman, powerlifting for 20 years +. Coming up on 42 yrs old. 6'2" and currently 264 LBS. Im not crazy strong, but decently strong right now. Bench 350, deadlift 505, squat 405 ATG. Decently strong at Overhead press at 300 lbs yadda yadda. I dabble in Armwrestling also. As stated before when I posted in here I am chronically Stiff, sore, inflexible, my mobility is horrible, and my overall endurance sucks. Im a bull for a good 45 seconds or so but after that Im done. GOALS..........Loose weight, get mobility back, get flexible again, stop feeling stiff like a 2x4 24/7 and get some endurance back!. Im just over being "BIG" and Im tired of the constant nagging pains.

THE PLAN: Do Simple and Sinister 5-6 times a week AND mix in push ups/pull ups/ BW squats 3 times a week. I really want to keep push ups, pull ups, some sort of squat in my routine as I feel they are very important.

QUESTION: Is this TOO MUCH? Im used to lifting pretty hard 3-4X a week right now. Im just scared if I lower the volume too much I will lose too much strength. I plan on limiting the push ups to 100 a day, pull ups at 40 and squats at 100 3x a week in addition to S&S 5 times a week. THOUGHTS?

I really like TGU and goblet squats for mobility. The bodyweight volume you mention is not too much at all compared to what you've been doing. If for some reason it is, try doing S&S in the morning and the bodyweight stuff later through the day.

Pushups you should be fine to add. Bodyweight squats are unnessarry with goblet squats during S&S (IMHO). How easy/hard are pull ups for you?

Pushups you should be fine to add. Bodyweight squats are unnessarry with goblet squats during S&S (IMHO). How easy/hard are pull ups for you?

1st of all are you in Maine? I was born and raised in Bangor, but live in Alaska now. I was just in Bangor Brewer area last week for vacation. Anyway Pullups are hard for me but doable. Im currently 264 lbs and can squeak out about 8 good pull ups and about 8-10 chin ups on a good day but when Im down to 220-240lbs They feel soooo much better.

OK, so last night was my first S&S workout and it was good. I did my KB swings and figured out I can move up to a bigger bell on swings but the Get-ups were pretty good feeling and I'll stay with a 40lb bell on those for a couple weeks. I also did the goblet squat stretches, Halo's, and misc other stretches which I NEED honestly because I am so stiff. After those I did about 60 push ups, 3 sets of neutral grip pull-ups. Today Im feeling a bit sore but in a good way. I will hit it again tonight and see how it goes. Meanwhile Im reducing caloric intake a little and cleaning up diet and walking extra.

Another Mainer! I grew up in Knox, which I near Thorndike/Belfast.

With 8-10 you could do a 40-60% of your rep max for sets. example one day do multiple sets of 3 (40%ish) another multiple sets of 5 (60%ish). for 2-5 sets, test yourself occasionally and go from there (it would fit with the kinda easy strength/GGP of S&S) maybe some days go for weighted pull ups.

OK I couldnt go to the gym last night due to schedule conflicts but I can say that I was decently sore from the day befores workout. I did however knock out about 100 push ups last night. Tonight I will do S&S again and my stretches and probably more push ups and pull ups. I did my swings 2 handed last time, tonight I will do 1 arm swings as a test to see how I feel with them.

I would recommend finding a health or fitness professional to perform a Functional Movement Screen on you. You indicate that you feel or perceive stiffness. Yes, given your history you may certainly have some mobility deficits. However, sometimes perceived stiffness can be caused by stability issues as well. An FMS will provide a nice objective measure of which patterns are dysfunctional and possibly help to narrow down possibilities for why you are feeling stiffness and target corrective exercises to address those issues.

I would recommend finding a health or fitness professional to perform a Functional Movement Screen on you. You indicate that you feel or perceive stiffness. Yes, given your history you may certainly have some mobility deficits. However, sometimes perceived stiffness can be caused by stability issues as well. An FMS will provide a nice objective measure of which patterns are dysfunctional and possibly help to narrow down possibilities for why you are feeling stiffness and target corrective exercises to address those issues.

Im not so stiff that its a perceived medical issue, nor am I in pain to a degree that its alarming me. Im just stiff from lifting heavy things since I was 15 yrs old and now im 42. I made the mistake of neglecting my stretching and failing to understand how important stretching was on a daily basis and now at an older age my interests have changed from trying to win strongman comps and being the biggest guy in the gym to just feeling healthy, limber, and strong without having to carry around 265 lbs. I think that a good dose of stretching daily, changing up my lifting protocol and diet will put me where I need to be. IF that fails however, perhaps I will seek professional help!

I also really like crawling complexes as a warm up to improve mobility.

Like a bear crawl?
There are a whole range of crawling options.
Bear, Leopard, Spider-Man, Baby, and more. Some are easy, some are hard. All are excellent as mobility work.

Additionally if you want a mobility boost... consider OS resets (includes crawling), but if you want to stay closer to SF then Super Joints, Relax Into Stretch, and Flexible Steel are great options.

UPDATE: So very weird thing. Since I started this post on Dec 4th I have been doing Simple & Sinister just about every night along with the fighter pull up program and about 50-100 push ups. Ive not lifted any heavy weights or been to the gym. Last night my buddy asked me to go lift with him so I went. Well normally I bench press 315 as my last set for about 1-2 reps depending on how Im feeling. Well last night I knocked out 315 for 5 reps! I felt amazing. I then did 7 more sets of 3 reps with 295. I then picked up some 70 lb dumbbells and curled them pretty effortlessly for 8 reps. my pull ups felt tight and strong also. I just felt friggin strong and full of energy. Im not sure if it was just a good day, or a break from heavy lifting was what my CNS needed OR the Simple & Sinister stuff really works!.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom