all posts post new thread

Kettlebell My "Starting Over Strong" Attempt

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

John Grahill

Level 8 Valued Member
Forgive me starting a new thread here but my original one about starting a new round of KB Strong went on for miles, lol.

Well I did attempt the double 40s for clean and presses in phase one and got halfway through and injured myself. I recognize what happened and will correct it. I rushed too much and got sloppy and ended up with a pulled hamstring that bugged me most of the summer. I temporarily switched back to some single bell work and am going after "strong" again. I am trying a different route this time. Last year I went through phases one and two with the 36s, with phase two being the "slow and steady" which is about 3 to 4 months. Rather than jumping back into double 40s I tested my double 36 ability and found I can still get about 8-9 reps, down from 11 after phase two last time through. I am going to do the "short course" with the 36s to build up some volume, then attempt phase three with them and then attempt phase one with the 40s.

I don't look at it like a failure, or stepping back, I see it as sometimes a victory only comes about after a surrender.

Mike and Mark, thanks for the encouragement but I'm certainly not anything special. Frankly I'm disappointed in myself because of my carelessness. I am man enough to admit I did things wrong and will start over. Lesson learned. As Pavel said in ETK, it's your fault if you do something stupidly and hurt yourself.
I will be patient this time and listen to my body. Should be fun.

I don't know anyone that can press two free kettlebells of 36 kg each for the volume proposed in Kettlebell STRONG! and still be considered "nothing special"! I'm sure this time the 40's will go up just fine. Push trhought, @John Grahill , and cheers from Italy!

Ok, the short course is completed. Was a challenge for sure!

At this point I noticed a bit of shakiness in my left arm during presses. I have refocused and tomorrow rather than jumping further with the doubles program I will start another round of the ROP. In another thread I responded how much I liked the ROP and it got me thinking about it again. I did a test run for the weight to be used yesterday and forgot how sore single bell work can make your midsection without even thinking about it. Doubles are great but back to the basics!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom