all posts post new thread

Kettlebell My strength training for bjj

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Slatersan

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi everyone,

I have been lurking this website for a while and I hope this is the right place to put this.

I made a routine for bjj based on everything i have read off this website and several Pavel books.

let me know what you think of this.

I have been strength training for 10+ years and have done martial arts for 7+ years.

Bjj would be 3-4 times a week.

Strength training would be twice a week and never on the same day as bjj.

The exercise selection would vary for the squat, hinge, push and pull exercises. The weight would also depend on how beat up I am from training. The reps would never go near failure.

Workout A:

Warm up

Kb snatches 6 x 10 (will be using the talk test for the rest periods

Hinge 3 x 5

Pull 3 x 5

Loaded carry twice

Stretch

Workout B:

Warm up

Kb swings x 10

Squat 3 x 5

Push 3 x 5

Get up 10

Stretch

Hi Slatersan, welcome to the forum.

I don't know that there is enough info provided in the original post to really give helpful info. TBH any selection of compound movements performed with solid technique and reasonable loading will be a lot more than most BJJ practitioners do. Do you have any specific goals with your training?

Hi Slatersan, welcome to the forum.

I don't know that there is enough info provided in the original post to really give helpful info. TBH any selection of compound movements performed with solid technique and reasonable loading will be a lot more than most BJJ practitioners do. Do you have any specific goals with your training?

Hi Tony,

Thanks. My goals are longevity, getting stronger, more power, and “armor building”. I am an athletic 33 year old. I have several old injuries with shoulders and knees. I can’t do too much in regard to strength training but also can’t do too little for the same reason. I based this routine off of an article on here about strength and conditioning for bjj but put the power movements at the front of the workout to be more like s & s or q & d.

I'm a 52 yr old BJJ practitioner, I train BJJ 6 days/week. Do boxing 2x/ week and do S&S 4x/week. The S&S I do about 1.5 hours before class and feel great. It has turned out to be the best program I have tried so far, with many WTH moments. I have also read the article here about strength training for BJJ and tried putting together a program. I found it was too much given all of the other training I do. I found S&S helped build the armour but didn't tap too much resources.

Last edited:
I do judo and kendo. BJJ is excellent and I like training with BJJers to develop my ground fighting skills.

I'd think that the carefully designed S&S programme is ideal.

However, any Pavel-approved movements (I mean the ones included in the SFG tests) that you like to do would be beneficial, and the best programme is the one you actually do!

Any thought of doing some doubles work? Even with two 16kg you can get some things done. Perhaps some double presses, double front squats??? These are quite time-sparing movements and don't exhaust you yet are pretty nice!

I do judo and kendo. BJJ is excellent and I like training with BJJers to develop my ground fighting skills.

I'd think that the carefully designed S&S programme is ideal.

However, any Pavel-approved movements (I mean the ones included in the SFG tests) that you like to do would be beneficial, and the best programme is the one you actually do!

Any thought of doing some doubles work? Even with two 16kg you can get some things done. Perhaps some double presses, double front squats??? These are quite time-sparing movements and don't exhaust you yet are pretty nice!
Hey Kozushi,

I realize now i wasnt totally clear in my original post. I am back in school and i work so my bjj training is only going to be 2-3 times a week. This leaves more room for additional strength training stuff. I love the minimalist approach. Simple and sinister by far works the best for me when im on a busier mma type schedule. Since i am in school and i work the gym is sometimes my only outlet for the day so i wanted a routine that adds a little more to my workout while also providing benefits to my bjj game.

I have done work with double kb movements. I still throw them in with this current routine i am doing since the exercises can vary.

Hey Kozushi,

I realize now i wasnt totally clear in my original post. I am back in school and i work so my bjj training is only going to be 2-3 times a week. This leaves more room for additional strength training stuff. I love the minimalist approach. Simple and sinister by far works the best for me when im on a busier mma type schedule. Since i am in school and i work the gym is sometimes my only outlet for the day so i wanted a routine that adds a little more to my workout while also providing benefits to my bjj game.

I have done work with double kb movements. I still throw them in with this current routine i am doing since the exercises can vary.
It's basically an S&S+ plan. I've always done something like that. S&S was the staple but then I'd get interested in other moves besides.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom