all posts post new thread

Off-Topic My weight goes up and down

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Reuben

Level 4 Valued Member
I have a problem that i hopefully can get some answer to. since August last yer i have done my best to loose wheight. I have lost wheight from 90 kg down to 83 kg like 5 times but every time it only takes a couple of days before my wheight is back up to 90 kg once again.I dont know why that happends and i am not whining but i am curious to know why it happends.
It does matter if i use kettlebells or barbells and what program i follow. My limitations is that i have ezcema and to mutch cortisol mess me up and i underrecover but i dont use it as an excuse. Maybe someone have been in a similar situation and can give me some tips on how how i can fix my issues?
I eat clean food, my sleep is awesome and i feel rested when i wake up but still there seems to be something that mess things up. What are your thoughts?

If the human body were a simple machine, none of us would have any trouble losing and gaining weight. Unfortunately, there are many factors including stress, sodium levels, water intake, macro and micro nutrient intake, activity level, medication, etc.

I think my best advice when it comes to weight loss is writing down everything you eat and drink and really evaluating if you are eating too much. I always find in my case that my weight gains are due to eating more. But that may not be everyone's case. Sometime the human body will just retain more water or your energy output is affected by stress.

Weight loss/gains are a journey. There will be barriers in the way and you may find yourself going backwards before going forward. But if you take the time to plan and evaluate on a periodic basis, most people will get there. It's kind of like S&S... the advice for losing and gaining weight is simple, but it's not easy.

It depends how much cortisol you use.
Superphysiological cortisol does increase fat gain and really does not go too well with weight training (for the most part).
And that is no excuse! Don't worry about that.
Talk to your doctor,maybe consult mor than just one doctor and try to do some research on your own, so you know the backgrounds. Try to limit cortisol as much as possible. Maybe you can, in conjunction with medical advice from your doctor, even quit cortisol all together.

Please go a little more into detail about your diet. You say you eat clean, but that can mean a many different things. The fact that you have eczema indicates that you could have issues with inflammation. If you're eating something that is causing inflammation, it's probably also going to make it difficult to lose weight, regardless of what type of physical training you do.

Hey thanks for your advice. My diet is called Weight Watchers and its been around for some time. ive read alot about cortisol and the effect it has but ive never heard about "Superphysiological cortisol"

It depends how much cortisol you use.
Superphysiological cortisol does increase fat gain and really does not go too well with weight training (for the most part).
And that is no excuse! Don't worry about that.
Talk to your doctor,maybe consult mor than just one doctor and try to do some research on your own, so you know the backgrounds. Try to limit cortisol as much as possible. Maybe you can, in conjunction with medical advice from your doctor, even quit cortisol all together.

with cortisol you refer to to that cream you put on your skinn?

To be frank, I've done some research on weight watchers, and I'm not very impressed. I could be wrong, but I think that the ups and downs in weight you're experiencing are not particularly unusual for people on Weight Watchers, and similar diets. I do appreciate how they try to simplify the process, but I don't think it's a good long-term fit for most people. I think there are a few different approaches that you could try, all of which essentially re-train your metabolism to run properly, some of which might also get rid of your eczema, but of course this would mean making small or large alterations to your current diet. I'm not selling anything, so I'm going to pitch something to you unless you want me too ;)

In this stage im willing to change what ever i have to achive what i want but to get as healthy as i can without getting extreme.

The big thing that I always try to focus on is training the body to effectively use fat for fuel. Due to the high prevalence of carbohydrates in the world we currently live in, many of us end up "carb dependent," that is our bodies like to run on carbs, and nothing else. When we try to restrict calories, instead of just burning fat, our bodies get angry at us and make us eat more food. There are two basic ways to retrain the body to burn fat: Fasting and restricting carbs.

Fasting is probably the simplest one to implement. You can fast a little bit each day, or you can fast a lot all at once. For example, you could gradually push your breakfast time back until you do away with breakfast, and then you would be fasting from dinner until lunch the next day. Another method is to eat normally, but once or twice a week try to go an entire day without food. Those are just examples; I would encourage you to look up more in depth discussions of "intermittent fasting," both on this forum and on the internet in general. The nice thing about fasting is that you're training your body to burn fat by adjusting the time you eat, and you can just keep eating the same things.

Restricting carbs is a much bigger change, but it also has much more potential benefit. There are many different ways to go about a "low carb/high fat diet" and again, there are numerous discussions and good sources of information about this topic, both on this forum and elsewhere. Since you have an inflammatory condition (eczema), I would recommend an extreme version of the diet for at least 2 weeks, in order to see if there are any foods that trigger your inflammation. The common foods that trigger inflammation are grains (especially wheat), and dairy products. That being said, people can be sensitive to all sort of weird things (mostly plants and plant products), and the best bet is to start in a "safe space" and introduce other things from there. Basically, I'm suggesting you eat nothing but meat for at least two weeks, and then start adding in other foods to see if you have any adverse reactions. I would recommend fatty red meat, since red meat tend to be more nutritious and it's tough to eat enough lean meat to keep your body going. Like I said, it's a little extreme, there's no denying that. You can also run a search for "carnivore diet" if you're not sure about it, but I would do the version of the diet without eggs or dairy, since those might be inflammatory triggers. I'm not suggesting you do a meat-based diet forever, but it is a good place to start if you're determined to figure out what foods agree with you and what foods don't. You will also definitely lose body fat as a "side effect."

Those are my suggestions. I didn't feel like writing a book, but I hope I gave you enough to get you started in the right direction. I should tell you that, while both those techniques have a fantastic track record, there are also people who think they're a bad idea. You've taken ownership of your health by recognizing that what you're doing now isn't working well, and deciding to do something different. Now you have to decide on the next step. Feel free to ask any more questions...

Edit: I should point out the neither of my two suggested methods involve counting calories. They work best if you avoid snacking, eat 2-3 meals a day, and eat until satisfied during each meal.

Last edited:
I didnt expect to get this kind of response with alot of good information. I feel kinda overwhelmed in a good way. I will begin my research today.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom