all posts post new thread

Kettlebell My wrist size is small

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jayk

First Post
Hi everyone,
My wrist size is comparatively small. Is it safe to use a 20 kg kettle-bell without using wrist band.

Yes, it's safe. May not be comfortable, but you'll get used to it.

Maintain a straight wrist, like a punch. "There are no wrists in kettlebells."

Yes, it's safe. May not be comfortable, but you'll get used to it.

Maintain a straight wrist, like a punch. "There are no wrists in kettlebells."
+1
It's all relative.

I also have fairly thin wrists. In the past I've used sweatbands when doing a lot of heavy overhead work. These days it doesn't hurt anymore, so I don't use them. By all means, if things are painful enough that you have to adjust your training, use the wrist bands. They even make ones just for KB's that have little plastic inserts.

Safety-wise, I have seen some very small humans doing overhead work with very large kettlebells, and their wrists were not crushed ;)

EDIT: Just measured my wrist circumference. 6.75 inches, aka 17 cm. According to Google that's half an inch smaller than a normal dude, and 80% of dudes have bigger wrists than me. I regularly train with 36 kg overhead.

Last edited:
My wrists are really small. But never had issues, so why would you ?

Take your time getting stronger (in form) ye be fine

My wrists are relatively small, too. I can close my thumb and index finger around it. I never had issus with that. My best press was double 32 for 2 reps and muliple sets. Currently I am worki g on handstands and planch progressions and my wrists don't bother me at all. Just progress safely and slowly but still progressively from where you are right now.

My wrists are relatively small, too. I can close my thumb and index finger around it. I never had issues with that. My best press was double 32 for 2 reps and muliple sets. Currently I am working on handstands and planche progressions and my wrists don't bother me at all. Just progress safely and slowly but still progressively from where you are right now.

Go for it, small wrists are not something to be feared. As Anna says, there are no wrists in kettlebells. My wrists are small too despite not being (ahem) small framed elsewhere (I can overlap thumb quite well over middle finger when wrapped around the wrist).

I find kettlebell brand and distance from the bell to the handle is a factor, at least for me. I have two 16kg from 2 different companies, and one is good for getups for me, and the other not as it the space between the bell and handle is longer, hence sitting further down the arm. With a new weight I usually had a period of using some bands (made from cutting the cuff of a winter sock) over the wrist, but this is due to where some veins fall on my forearm and the weight of it being uncomfortable, after a short time can go without the bands. Don't be afraid to experiment with what works for you.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom