all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Naked Warrior

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TylerU

First Post
Hi there,

Just wondering what a good compliment to the NW program would be? I travel a lot for work and most hotel gyms don’t have kettlebells so I use it as my main form of training. I think I read that jumping rope and doing pull-ups would be a good compliment.

Is there any other exercises as there’s not always space to jump rope and don’t always have access to a pull up bar. I do have a TRX so could use that.

Thanks so much!

Tyler

@TylerU, if you can get outside, pullups can be done from tree branches and on playgrounds, and that works for jump rope, too.

Welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

-S-

Hi there,

Just wondering what a good compliment to the NW program would be? I travel a lot for work and most hotel gyms don’t have kettlebells so I use it as my main form of training. I think I read that jumping rope and doing pull-ups would be a good compliment.

Is there any other exercises as there’s not always space to jump rope and don’t always have access to a pull up bar. I do have a TRX so could use that.

Thanks so much!

Tyler
Fair question. I think that some form of conditioning (especially A+A style) would be great to complement the raw strength training. Bodyweight options might interfere with pistol squats, though. But there were two interesting variations in the newsletter (rooted "jumps", and lunge jumps).

Another idea would be to do some carries with whatever weights are available (plates, dumbells, sandbgs, hex bars, ...). "Becoming bulletproof project" by Tim Anderson offers some ideas for those kind of sessions (also for crawling, jumping rope, and skipping).

Some bodyweight rows with the TRX (but programmed more traditionally like 5x5) could be a good addition, too.

Pull-ups and skipping would be a perfect addition, though you may have to rejig the sets and reps so you're not greasing the groove with three exercises every day. A more traditional scheme of M/W/F of 3-5x3-5 would probably be better. (I'm not an expert, though. I'm just going by what the bodyweight course prescribes.)

Naked warrior + sprint (on hills or flat ground) 2-3 times a week in A + A mode is all you need.

Thanks everyone for the responses!

You gave me a lot to ponder over and experiment with for awhile.

The one exercise that I’ve noticed the most benefit from is the pistol squat and I’m not even close to do a full squat yet.

I seem to have an extra bounce in my step and going up stairs and hills are hardly tiring at all!

Tyler

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom