all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Naming Kettlebell Weights, Just for Fun!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Swann 1

Level 6 Valued Member
Ok, just for fun, I got to thinking about the 'names' of the different kettlebells, or at least what their names could be. As far as I know, the only two that have "official" names are the 40 kg (the Bulldog), and the 48 kg (the Beast). So as a lark I thought it might be fun to name the other weights as well.

This is what I've come up with so far, though I'm open to changing any of them if better ideas are offered! I'll work my way downward.
36 kg-48 kg. For these I used four legged creatures, since the two named one's already were. They also both started with a "B", so....
48 kg - The Beast
44 kg - The Bear
40 kg - The Bulldog
36 kg - The Badger

16 kg-32 kg. Since I used land animals for the big ones, I used birds for these. I haven't come up with anything for the mid-weights yet...
32 kg - The Hawk
28 kg - ??
24 kg - The Thrasher
20 kg - ??
16 kg - The Sparrow

<16 kg. I haven't done anything with these yet. I'm more than happy to accept suggestions?

So... anyone want to play my name game?

Great idea. :) I'm going to move Badger to 32kg, as I dubbed it that a while back (great minds think alike) and it stuck with a few people (do a Search on "Badger"). And I like mammals, so I'll stick with that theme, but switching letters. Let's see...

48 kg - The Beast
44 kg - The Bear
40 kg - The Bulldog
36 kg - The Bobcat
32 kg - The Badger
28 kg - The Possum
24 kg - The Fox
20 kg - The Skunk
16 kg - The Rabbit
12 kg - The Squirrel

@Anna C , I like it. I really like the Fox for the 24 kg. Just seems... Fitting. What do you think about Raccoon instead of Possum? 'Coons are more aggressive, and since its on the way to the Badger, it is a nice escalation.

@Steve Freides : Sorry, I missed those, didn't mean to start a redundant thread.

@Swann1, no worries, it's bound to happen as some of the same topics come up repeatedly. If anyone ever thinks two threads should be merged together, I can do that - just let me know.

-S-

Hmmm... Thinking about it more, I realized we could do letter groups. Since I love the Fox, maybe B, F, and R. So here's more ideas:

48 kg - The Beast
44 kg - The Bear
40 kg - The Bulldog
36 kg - The Bobcat
32 kg - The Badger
28 kg - The Fossa
24 kg - The Fox
20 kg - The Ferret
16 kg - The Rabbit
12 kg - The Rodent

I like where you're going with this, but for me I want more personal names for my new found family. Something more like what @TravisDirks has done with his. I thought of using a Children of the Corn theme, but after re-watching it last week, there just weren't enough names to fit (and have growth for new ones).

I like that... but I had to look up Fossa so we could probably do better there. And Rodent is a bit non-specific. Maybe 12 kg should just be "The Runt."

@Bonkin, I understand. I agree that the individuals might need names. But I like category names. Like with pets: I have a Dog, his name is Gus. With KB, I have a Badger, his name is Blue. :)

@Anna C , I like the Runt. It bookends with the Beast nicely. Now we just need another F animal...

28kg could be Raccoon, just an oddball letter

I gotcha, Swann. You guys may want to add 8KG to the list and call it Runt. Then the 6KG can be Little Runt.

F animals... Fisher, Flamingo, Frog, Fairy Penguin.

I tagged this thread and the other one both with

kettlebell names

and

naming kettlebells

so a search on either of those brings up both threads now.

-S-

Yeah I think I agree with @Bro Mo on that, actually...

I think there is also something to be said for only naming the half-pood milestones.

48kg = Beast
40kg = Bulldog
32kg = Badger
24kg = Fox
16kg = Rabbit

Anything in between feels like kettlebell purgatory.

Ok, I can live with that. And it does make sense. So we can ado the 8kg Runt to that if we like, otherwise call it good with those as the final names.

Yeah let's include the 8kg; so:

48kg = Beast
40kg = Bulldog
32kg = Badger
24kg = Fox
16kg = Rabbit
8kg = Runt

:)

Hmm. The 24kg needs a nobler name. I would move Fox and Rabbit down one. And maybe a working dog name for the 24kg.

How about "Wolfdog"?

Or husky, a long distance workhorse of dogs. Even something like ox, anything that is a real workhorse.

A Coyote should have a prestigious spot on the list. They are extremely adaptable and resilient animals. They are the least protected, and most successful species in North America. The Eastern Coyotes cross breed with Wolves, making them larger, meaner, and pack animals unlike the Western Coyotes.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom