all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Nasal Breathing Issue

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Aaron17

Level 5 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Hi all,

I know several here teach breathwork so I'm wondering if anyone can assist.

At rest I find it pretty easy to breathe through my nose.

However when I begin low intensity exercise, after a few minutes I get discomfort in my right nostril which then develops into a burning sensation below/behind (hard to tell) my right eye. It almost develops into a form of headache.

I am assuming this is something to do with my sinuses but it has been an issue for sometime. I don't do much aerobic exercise with nasal breathing for this exact reason.

I have tried blocking one nostril and breathing through one and without a doubt I can breathe much easier through my left nostril. My right nostril feels much more restricted.

Any advice? I know @Al Ciampa and @Steve Freides touch on breathwork in their posts but all advice welcome.

Thanks
Aaron

Hi all,

I know several here teach breathwork so I'm wondering if anyone can assist.

At rest I find it pretty easy to breathe through my nose.

However when I begin low intensity exercise, after a few minutes I get discomfort in my right nostril which then develops into a burning sensation below/behind (hard to tell) my right eye. It almost develops into a form of headache.

I am assuming this is something to do with my sinuses but it has been an issue for sometime. I don't do much aerobic exercise with nasal breathing for this exact reason.

I have tried blocking one nostril and breathing through one and without a doubt I can breathe much easier through my left nostril. My right nostril feels much more restricted.

Any advice? I know @Al Ciampa and @Steve Freides touch on breathwork in their posts but all advice welcome.

Thanks
Aaron
I agree with Steve. But I also have questions:

-how long have you been trying to nasal breathe aerobic activity?

-have you done any formal breathing training?

-are you sure you nasal breathe only at rest? Even when you’re not paying attention?

-do you tape your mouth at night?

-do you mouth breathe other forms of exercise?

@Aaron17, I have been diagnosed with a "rather severely deviated" septum. I have found Breathe Right strips help. I also just shove the end of my nose to the left periodically, since mine points to the right a bit. (The working theory here is that my nose was broken when I was 15. I had all the symptoms including two black eyes, after having a forearm administered to the bridge of my nose, but my father declined to take me to the doctor.)

I'd still ask to see an ENT (ear, nose and throat) doctor. Mine ordered diagnostic images, and that's where the "rather severely deviated" septum diagnosis comes from, the radiologist who looked at the pictures.

The main thing Buteyko breathing accomplishes is breathing less "even when you're not paying attention" as Al mentions.

@Al Ciampa, I believe you owe me a phone call. :)

-S-

@Al Ciampa,

giphy.gif

:)

-S-

I agree with Steve. But I also have questions:

-how long have you been trying to nasal breathe aerobic activity?

-have you done any formal breathing training?

-are you sure you nasal breathe only at rest? Even when you’re not paying attention?

-do you tape your mouth at night?

-

-do you mouth breathe other forms of exercise?

-I will book to see the Doctor for sure but sure this sort of thing will go far with the NHS but I will see.

-Truth be told I haven't done it that often but only because this issue gets in the way. Maybe one year on and off attempts. For example my last effort this week was two days in a row. Walking stairs in a 10kg weighted vest for 20 minutes.

- No, nothing formal.

-I would say 90 percent but with most things hard to say as so much that w do is unconscious.

-No taping the mouth at night. Should I start?

-Yes but when resting no. I try to nose breathe. To elaborate I breathe using the SF biomechanical breathing match for swings, goblets presses and Getups. Should I switch to nasal for these?

Thanks so much for getting back to me.
Aaron

@Aaron17, I have been diagnosed with a "rather severely deviated" septum. I have found Breathe Right strips help. I also just shove the end of my nose to the left periodically, since mine points to the right a bit. (The working theory here is that my nose was broken when I was 15. I had all the symptoms including two black eyes, after having a forearm administered to the bridge of my nose, but my father declined to take me to the doctor.)

I'd still ask to see an ENT (ear, nose and throat) doctor. Mine ordered diagnostic images, and that's where the "rather severely deviated" septum diagnosis comes from, the radiologist who looked at the pictures.

The main thing Buteyko breathing accomplishes is breathing less "even when you're not paying attention" as Al mentions.

@Al Ciampa, I believe you owe me a phone call. :)

-S-
Thanks Steve.

Yes I have read about this and I am aware my father has something similar from boxing.

Its possible I have got something similar I suppose given the rugby I used to play and bangs to the face and nose. I had a nose bleed almost weekly I remember. Didn't even cross my mind as a potential issue until now, thank you.

Yes I'm interested to learn more given the benefits I'm reading about! I've been breathing wrong for so long!

Thanks
Aaron

-I will book to see the Doctor for sure but sure this sort of thing will go far with the NHS but I will see.

-Truth be told I haven't done it that often but only because this issue gets in the way. Maybe one year on and off attempts. For example my last effort this week was two days in a row. Walking stairs in a 10kg weighted vest for 20 minutes.

- No, nothing formal.

-I would say 90 percent but with most things hard to say as so much that w do is unconscious.

-Yes but when resting no. I try to nose breathe. To elaborate I breathe using the SF biomechanical breathing match for swings, goblets presses and Getups. Should I switch to nasal for these?

Aaron
Besides the advice to see a good ENT doc, and to use a breathe right strip, try the mouth taping at night, and according to Nestor's books it takes awhile for the nasal passages to expand when beginning to nasal breathe, and they will constrict with lack of use. It could take a good bit of consistent practice for you to feel comfortable. Give it some time. You might find a recent podcast, Joe Rogan with James Nestor interesting.

Last edited:

- No, nothing formal.

Aaron
I believe this tells us some things... it is unexplainable, in the breath world, why this would happen in one nostril and not the other. Unless it is coincidence, this is something for medicine to assess.

Everything else you report could be explained, as expected, by the reduction of breathing/increase in CO2, while your tolerance is still low. The sensations from increasing your CO2 are intense, and novel students don't quite know how to describe them... sort of how you did.

I'd formally practice reduced breathing and/or easy breath holds more often. There's a chance that the nostril thing might clear up on its own; but I'd still get it looked at.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom