all posts post new thread

Nutrition Natural spring water and minerals

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

I keep reading to add a pinch of Himalayan sea salt to our water to help with mineral loss or whatever (us intermittent fasting types). I drink natural spring water (not that bottled ctap, but the straight out of the ground kind). Would there still be a need for adding the salt?

Maybe not your water, but I would add quality salt to your quality food when it helps the flavor. I use ConcenTrace and 40,000 Volts drops from Trace Mineral Research in my water, Celtic and pink Himalayan salt on my food.

I keep reading to add a pinch of Himalayan sea salt to our water to help with mineral loss or whatever (us intermittent fasting types). I drink natural spring water (not that bottled ctap, but the straight out of the ground kind). Would there still be a need for adding the salt?
Man. This is refreshing to hear. I used to lug around 20-30 glass gallon bottles and fill them up at a spring outside of Pittsburgh. It was literally all I would drink. I miss those days kind of. I felt like a psycho about it but I really do think that drinking water that had poop and pee in it and pharmaceuticals that have just been annihilated with chlorine isn’t probably the best thing for us. JMO.

I’m also with @Don Fairbanks. I’ve heard upward of 5G of salt recommended by Robb Wolf (biochemist. And I think that recommendation was BEFORE he had an electrolyte drink mix company. Lol)

I've done it this past year while fasting for fasts of 24h+, I found it helped a lot with the fasting, especially when going over 48h. I've never had the need or urge to do it if I do 18/6 or just skip a meal.

I do plan on drinking lightly salted water while I work this summer though, might help when working outside in the sun all day.

I've done it this past year while fasting for fasts of 24h+, I found it helped a lot with the fasting, especially when going over 48h. I've never had the need or urge to do it if I do 18/6 or just skip a meal.

I do plan on drinking lightly salted water while I work this summer though, might help when working outside in the sun all day.
I just finished a full five days with zero food for the first time and it was by far the easiest time I've ever had after dozens of multi day fasts using Dr. Longo's FMD (fasting mimicking diet) program, which includes limited calories and specific macros. The only difference this time was that I conciously upped my salt intake for the electrolytes (been using French grey sea salt because that's what I have on hand.) Can't say for sure that's the only reason I was more successful this time but I will definitely be doing the same in a few months when I do it again.

I always tell people that it's pretty sad and scary that we would rather drink untreated, untested, and drink at your own risk spring water than tap water

I always tell people that it's pretty sad and scary that we would rather drink untreated, untested, and drink at your own risk spring water than tap water
If you live in US. go to EWG.org. , top right in green bar click on tap water database, enter your zip, take a look at your tap water.

Last edited:
As I understand - Although sea salt does have several trace minerals, they're in such small amounts it doesn't really matter. This includes iodine. So I stick with regular iodized table salt.

There needs to be an element of trust in your local authority for drinking water standards.
I'd be worried if I lived in Flint. Pretty fortunate that I live in Scotland and drink straight from the tap with no concerns whatsoever.

Clean and safe drinking water should be the number one public health standard. When it isn't? And why that is so is a political decision....choices, choices.

Plain old NaCl for me. Grounded or chunks of sea salt on potatoes, roasted with rosemary.:cool:

Yikes.
Yes, difficult to grasp sometimes the context of health lifestyle issues and concerns from elsewhere, even when elsewhere is culturally similar.
Water is different in UK too. London water has a certain 'taste' that to the unaccustomed should not taste of anything at all. Back in the day when people used to visit each other pre covid, friends and relatives used to look at me oddly when I asked them if they wanted a glass of water I'd fill it from the tap. And they'd say, sheepishly and worriedly "is it ok to drink it?" To which I'd reply 'F*S it's water what's the matter with you'.

Often when health and food issues are raised from a different perspective and especially so a US one, I get perplexed of how and why it is even an issue as I wrongly attribute my own circumstances as if they are the same.
So sorry about my flippancy.
Don't get me started on ionised water with different molecular structure to water though....

Unfortunately in context we used to have some of the best tap water, but due to the ecoli incident years ago it has literally gone down the drain. There even was a few times when the tap water was so chlorinated that when my dad added milk to his coffee it curdled.

Unfortunately in context we used to have some of the best tap water, but due to the ecoli incident years ago it has literally gone down the drain. There even was a few times when the tap water was so chlorinated that when my dad added milk to his coffee it curdled.
That’s crazy. This is making me want to get bakc on spring water. I’m pretty sure the site @Don Fairbanks referenced is where I’d get particulate content of the spring near me.
Apparently the water in my borough isn’t chlorinated anymore but... eh... also, bottled water... I still drink it but am convinced all those plastic softeners can not be good.

man... I’m going down the rabbit hole again.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom