all posts post new thread

Honest Effort

Used Rest/pause instead of clusters, and added weight to the skater squats - man I hate those.
Jumprope HIIT, Much more consistent HR numbers.
I can't do skater squats and jumprope due to knee issue. Lunges seem to bother too. Liked Bulgarian split squat when younger. I can do goblet squat though. It's my #1 squat at the moment.

What is your opinion? How important is to train legs with squats, if one does cleans, snatches, push presses, swings and jerks with kettlebell? If goal is longevity and general health.

BTW I like your log. Very motivational and inspiring stuff here.

I can't do skater squats and jumprope due to knee issue. Lunges seem to bother too. Liked Bulgarian split squat when younger. I can do goblet squat though. It's my #1 squat at the moment.

What is your opinion? How important is to train legs with squats, if one does cleans, snatches, push presses, swings and jerks with kettlebell? If goal is longevity and general health.

BTW I like your log. Very motivational and inspiring stuff here.

In my opinion squat variations are mandatory as long as they are not contraindicated for medical reasons. I'd also say further if you can only do partial ROM squats they are still going to be a very useful lift compared to other leg exercises, ATG is not necessary. Further it helps to load them from the shoulders as this gives you a full body compression that seems to help everything from breathing, down to applied effort on other lifting movements.

I am also a huge fan of the jumping ones I do and would probably perform these with no load if I couldn't load them up for health/joint reasons.

Goblet squat and Zircher would be my go-to for bilateral work or even bearhug squats. Currently I do the Skaters because I haven't figured out how to safely get 150+lbs of sandbag to my shoulder (beginning weight to get good workout with sand) so I have to train unilaterally - will probably have to make yet another bag that is either loaded 100% with steel shot or just plain be a larger single bag. Trying to get my two bags up at the same time is so unstable I'm afraid I'll hurt myself at some point.

Thanks for reading and taking time to comment - I like visitors!
BTW your log is inspiring too.

Thanks for your answer. Full ROM goblet squat don't have negative effects on my knee, so I'll stick with that then. Barbell stuff later, if my back allows. Seems like box pistols, lunges etc. are worse for me. Maybe due to partial ROM and nature of the lift. I've learned in practice that everything where shins don't move and stay vertical is a no go.

Have a nice weekend!:)

Yesterday's session. At end of this have decided I need to shift my routine away from heavier resistance training. The pain at inside of elbow on my left arm is not really abating, and virtually everything from pressing to snatching aggravates it. Am concerned if this doesn't resolve I'll be looking at long term chronic problem.

Only my jumproping seems to have no ill effect.

Even a lot of my leg work is problematic as I have to shoulder or otherwise clean the bag first, but am goin gto keep with it for the time being. Have been considering a routine composed largely of isometrics, now might be an ideal time to immerse myself in this as it is definitely a lot easier on the joints. Experimentally it doesn't appear to have any negative impact on the injury site.

Warmup:
burpees to sandbag DL 60# x 20

Good Mornings 60lb x20
Sandbag Frontloaders 60lbs x8
Good Mornings 90lb x10
Sandbag Frontloaders Rest/Pause 60lbs 6/4/2, 15 seconds between sets
Good Mornings 90lb x10
Sandbag Laterals 60lbs x7
Sandbag Jump Squat 60lbs x10
Sandbag Laterals 60lbs Rest/Pause 7/5/4, 15 seconds between sets
Sandbag Jump Squat 90lbs x6
2 Arm Rows 90lbs x15
Sandbag Jump Squat 60lbs x10
2 Arm Rows 70lbs Rest/Pause 12/6/4

unloaded decksquats x8
cossack stretch
tricep horizontal press using sandbag for a bench 40lbs x 20
seated twist
unloaded decksquats x8
hamstring stretch
tricep horizontal press using sandbag for a bench 40lbs x 15

Jumprope HIIT again. Did one extra...by accident.
Recovery times continue to inch down.

3minutes warmup @2beats/second Hr 100

15 cycles of 20 seconds on, 40 seconds off @3 beats/second
HR:
95/140
?/155
148/155
150/157
149/156
152/159
152/160
158/159
154/158
154/158
152/159
152/160
152/160
152/161
159/163
159/164
2 minutes to 120
5 minutes to 100

Am starting up an isometric/BW routine, mostly intended to rehab a nagging case of golfer's elbow and also as I've never really used an all-iso strategy. For squat and hinge work I intended to add some external resistance/BW stuff to the isometrics, worked in on alternating days if I can't get a good effect with straight iso. Trying to keep it simple to start though.

One thing I will be experimenting with is the use of short ROM isometrics, so the working limb will move a little from a true stationary iso hold. Am hoping this gives a little more metabolic effect while still allowing for max force production, as well as increasing the ROM that is strengthened.

Another factor is TUT, as I will be shooting for 20-30 seconds minimum per hold. The longer duration hold is also supposed to increase the strengthened ROM, between the two factors I hope to get a solid carry-over.

GTGing some of these really gives an idea of energy systems - more so than movements that use external or even BW resistance through a fairly rapid range of motion - 5 seconds in and MVC feeels like it is dropping off.

The hardest part of these is that even with relatively familiar movements, the type of exertion and level of mental activation/intent feels like it is much higher, so is tough to get a grip on these and will just have to stick to it for a number of weeks. Breathing through the movement is also difficult with unfamiliar moves.

Warmup - jumprope 3 minutes

Alternating pec cross, 2 reps
Single leg extended Skaters 8

Alternating pull/lift cross, 2 reps
Single leg extended Skaters 8

Repeat above 3x

unloaded decksquats x8
cossack stretch
tricep extensions
seated twist
unloaded decksquats x8
hamstring stretch
tricep extensions

Did these a little different today for upper body. Broke the movement into three static stop points - start, mid, end- use a full single exhalation at each station and advance to next position on the inhale (while still trying to exert max force). I have no way to test this, but pretty sure I consistently generate a lot more peak force on the exhale no matter what my intent. This strings out the set to 30-40 seconds.

For lower body I start at the midpoint of squat or DL for the first set using 10 slow breaths, again really pouring it on with the exhale, takes just over 20 seconds/set and I don't feel like I can sustain beyond that. Second set I stretch it out a bit more from an even more bent/lowered posture. From what I have read it is far more effective to train iso at longer muscle lengths.

This is technically isotonic and not isometric as the limbs are moving, but they are stationary at intervals, and am using max voluntary contraction.

Pretty sure the upper body musculature uses a bit more firing rate to generate force and the lower body uses more motor unit recruitment - this might account for the difference in RPE at 20 and 30 seconds.

Combined with jumprope HIIT this is a pretty interesting juxtapose of strategies but I have the feeling they will play well together. Am curious to see how this pans out over a couple months.

My elbow is already starting to feel slight improvement, less stiff, less pain at the site, still hurts if used at bad angle. Had to be careful shoveling snow this AM.

Alternating pec cross, 2 reps - 40 seconds
Iso Squat midpoint - 20 seconds

Alternating pull/lift cross, 2 reps - 40 seconds
Iso DL midpoint -20 seconds

Repeat above with squat and DL at starting point of the movement

unloaded decksquats x8
cossack stretch
tricep extensions
seated twist
unloaded decksquats x8
hamstring stretch
tricep extensions

Last edited:
Jumprope HIIT
3 minutes @ 2 beats/second warmup

15 minutes - 20sec on, 40 seconds off @ 3 beats/second

No HR monitor today, power output (?) stayed steady, finished with 3 beats/second.

Wondering if the last three intervals are needed.

Yesterdays workout - More Iso. Built a rig that will allow me to rapidly change position/stations on my squat and DL but this workout still using simple length of canvas.

For upper body have subbed out the length of canvas for a stick, allows me to get a better stretch and seems to allow more force to be generated.

I believe using multiple stations in a single set turns this overcoming isometrics into something a lot more dynamic - capable of producing mass, strength, whatever - time will tell. Looking forward to applying it to my squats and DL. Even still, just making sure to use multiple stations seems to be working well enough -better than I had expected.

Put up two quick videos, the mechanical path of each movement is pretty much the same, in one I'm pulling apart, the other I'm pushing together.

- the above pec work is unilateral, so each SS is one side upper, one squat position, alternating between low and midpoint

- the above back/shoulder work is unilateral, so each SS is one side upper, one DL position, alternating between low and midpoint

unloaded decksquats x8
cossack stretch
tricep/bicep extensions
seated twist
unloaded decksquats x8
hamstring stretch
tricep/bicep extensions

unloaded decksquats x8
cossack stretch
tricep extensions
seated twist
unloaded decksquats x8
hamstring stretch
tricep extensions

Note to self, next session use single leg versions for anterior/posterior.

Last edited:
Iso, new movement patterns, vid to follow
Jumprope 3 minutes

30seconds on, 30seconds off
Pec crossing low R,L
Straight leg anterior flexion R,L
Pec crossing high, R,L
Bent leg anterior flexion R,L

Cross pull low R,L
Straight leg posterior extension R,L
Cross pull high R,L
Bent leg posterior flexion R,L

Lateral arm raise low R,L
Lateral arm raise high R,L

unloaded decksquats x8
cossack stretch
tricep extensions
seated twist
unloaded decksquats x8
hamstring stretch
tricep extensions

Jumprope HIIT

13 repeats - 20sec on, 40 seconds off @ 3 beats/second

Again noticing that since I have gone over to Isometrics I get very swole doing jump rope HIIT where I never really noticed that side-effect with other modalities.

Breathing recovery consistently takes about 30seconds and might try to shave time off my rest periods.

For now will keep it to a 1:2 work/rest ratio and check my HR and subjective RPE in a month or so. Does feel like its getting easier but probably most just from doing more jumprope than I have in quite some time.

Breath and HR are not really tracking closely, makes me wonder about absolute factors for this sort of HIIT. My HR might not even drop 10BPM yet I feel sufficiently recovered to continue at the same output. Is this just CrP recovering or is there some other clearance rate -limiting factor, inorganic phosphate, H ions?

Have lots of questions about this - blood lactate levels remain elevated for a long time following a prolonged bout, far longer than it takes for breath or HR to normalize most of the way. But how long does it take to for lactate levels to recover at the mitochondrial level - seconds, minutes, longer?

Here's the latest Iso holds I'm doing and how I structure the session.

Last edited:
Iso, patterns per above video. Am really feeling like I'm coming into these, breaking a good sweat and between this and the jumprope HIIT am maintaining physique. Actually appear to my eyes to be shrinking a little although have gained nearly 5 lbs since starting this three weeks ago.

Most important this routine does not aggravate my elbow in the slightest (y). Side bonus is crazy I am getting good session with length of canvas and a jumprope. I might even have to hem the canvas at this rate so it holds up in the laundry.

Jumprope 3 minutes

Pec crossing low R,L
Straight leg anterior flexion R,L
Pec crossing high, R,L

Cross pull low R,L
Cross pull high R,L

unloaded decksquats x8
cossack stretch
tricep extensions
seated twist
unloaded decksquats x8
hamstring stretch
tricep extensions

Cool stuff!
Thanks for looking!

Am still doing some tweaks to the specifics. These will morph to where they hit some of the moves at more dynamic angles for the second station of each, but the basic framework will be the same, as will use of only that canvas strip.

Am pretty stoked, I've used Iso in the past but in very limited capacity, never for full body work. Feel like I'm finally getting to know/understand this a little. Really seems to play well with the HIIT I'm doing 2x a week.

Martin

Thanks for looking!

Am still doing some tweaks to the specifics. These will morph to where they hit some of the moves at more dynamic angles for the second station of each, but the basic framework will be the same, as will use of only that canvas strip.

Am pretty stoked, I've used Iso in the past but in very limited capacity, never for full body work. Feel like I'm finally getting to know/understand this a little. Really seems to play well with the HIIT I'm doing 2x a week.

Martin
That's awesome. I know Steve Maxwell is a huge proponent of isometrics because of how safe it is for the joints.

It's really cool how you build your own system and your own tools. I'm excited to see your progress.

Really challenged myself to get those knees up, every beat. Definitely felt a lot tougher overall, Managed to keep hitting 3 beats/second for most but some of the repeats in the middle dropped to 28-29 for 20 seconds. Finished strong though, hit the target for the last 4 repeats.

Plus side I felt it a lot more in my legs.

Jumprope HIIT

13 repeats - 20sec on, 40 seconds off @ 3 beats/second

That's awesome. I know Steve Maxwell is a huge proponent of isometrics because of how safe it is for the joints.

It's really cool how you build your own system and your own tools. I'm excited to see your progress.

I'm already galloping away in my mind!

One of the things that I don't like about the Iso, at least the way I'm doing it, is the limitations on core work being one's grip/exercising limb/joint. I get an OK amount of core bracing, but I can literally force with relative ease the exercising limb/joint angle to open by activating the core and legs and pushing/pulling away from the point where the canvas passes under my foot.

Flipside...this means I CAN do eccentric variations of every one of these exercises with very little modification to the movements. They won't be full ROM, but by continuing to do them in two stations I can get mighty close. Theoretically I could sway back and forth and do concentric as well, but eccentric has advantage of working with max effort, concentric requires I vary/reduce effort on the core movement while still exerting max effort on the target limb - not really possible.

Even the legs can be done this way, again with some modification to the existing but not very much. The only real question is whether I can add the additional layer of complexity/muscular effort and still produce a max voluntary contraction with the target joint. This is a big if. But...if I can pull it off this should lead to some nutty real-world carry over, along with better strength and size increases along the Arthur Jones model. And I'm liking the results now.

For now I'm going to stick with the existing program and tinker around with the compound movements. Maybe start w/ static Iso and use the last 3 seconds to force the joint open. I also intend to incorporate a crouched/bent knee posture where possible to further stress the legs and core.

Last edited:
Alright, easing into making these more useful(?!) I did all the work today from a bent support leg/legs, using the same starting angles for the working limbs as demo'd in the video.

Get into the period an exhale or two to develop max voluntary contraction and then began pushing with the leg(s), forcing the exerting limb/joint to fight harder to maintain the same working angle or be forced back against its resistance.

I was able to do this using a very abbreviated ROM, a few inches. But...this is more than it was getting purely static, and I was able to maintain force production better with something trying to change the working angle - what I thought was a max contraction after a few seconds was only about 90% of what I was able to do by adding the extra resistance - sort of like an on-the-fly recalibration. I continued to do the small side to side limb movement across the line of resistance. All in all only added a small amount of added concentration, additionally is no longer possible to do the legs using balance - I had to hold a broomhandle for support.

Was able to do this in both directions. Made it extremely difficult to maintain force production for full 30 seconds, especially with the leg work. Might have to drop back to 20-25 seconds.

Jumprope 3 minutes

Pec crossing low R,L
Pec crossing high, R,L

Cross pull low R,L
Cross pull high R,L