all posts post new thread

Honest Effort

Jumprope HIIT pulled one minute off of these, 12 repeats is plenty. Am feeling some DOMS from yesterday's Isometonic workout.

Knees high, maintained power output to the last.

3 minutes @ 2 beats/second warmup

12 repeats - 20sec on, 40 seconds off @ 3 beats/second

Had to back off work time to 25 seconds and add it to the rest interval. These feel great! Vid of the latest iteration below, doubt I'll be changing much from here on out.

Jumprope 3 minutes

30seconds on, 30seconds off
Pec crossing low R,L
Pec crossing high, R,L
Bent leg anterior flexion R,L

Cross pull low R,L
Straight leg posterior extension R,L
Cross pull high R,L
Bent leg posterior flexion R,L

Lateral arm raise low R,L
Lateral arm raise high R,L

unloaded decksquats x8
cossack stretch
tricep/bicep iso extensions
seated twist
unloaded decksquats x8
hamstring stretch

More Iso:
Jumprope 3 minutes

25seconds on, 35seconds off
Pec crossing low R,L
Pec crossing high, R,L

Cross pull low R,L
Cross pull high R,L

unloaded decksquats x8
cossack stretch
seated twist
unloaded decksquats x8
hamstring stretch

Jumprope HIIT
These are just as tough for the first three as they ever were, but am finding the repeats after that become less challenging. The 12 minutes were up very quickly today and feel like my HR is dropping faster afterward.

These still having that strange effect of pumping me up more than my "strength" Iso session - almost like the Iso is the super soldier serum and the jumprope HIIT is the vita-ray. I can actually feel my t-shirt getting tighter as I do these.

Jumprope 3 minutes

25seconds on, 35seconds off
Pec crossing low R,L
Pec crossing high, R,L

Cross pull low R,L
Cross pull high R,L

unloaded decksquats x8
cossack stretch
seated twist
unloaded decksquats x8
hamstring stretch

Have decided after a week of intensive massage that my golfer's elbow is a lot less severe than I had thought. Did an experimental Hobo workout today after testing the waters for 1/2 a week. Am going to up intensity and drop a set of upper body. Will be using rest/pause and/or drop sets on every second set, first set will be one set of moderate effort. Legs will use the existing format with some different movements mixed in.

Warmup:
jumprope 3 minutes

GoodMornings 60lbs unilateral - wide stance and come down over the knee, straighten up, come down over the other knee x10ea
Hobo Scap pulls 36lbs 7.5"x9
GMs x10
Hobo Scap pulls 36lbs 12.5"/5" x 8/6
GMs x10

Sandbag skaters 60lbs x10
Hobo Flags 30lbs 2.5" x10
Hobo Flags 30lbs 10'/2.5" x5/6

unloaded decksquats x8
cossack stretch
tricep press 40lbs x15
seated twist
unloaded decksquats x8
hamstring stretch
tricep press 40lbs x8

yesterday's session, am switching over to more of a HIT format using one hard working set for upper body per, with emphasis on 2seconds up, 4 down. Legs will continue with 3 sets per and am working in some semi-isolation work every other - quad and hamstring extensions respectively performed with KB suspended from short piece of canvas around ankle.

These to be bookended around an Isometric session w/ 2 days of 12 minute HIIT. This should keep my recovery:work ratio in a good zone and still kick it in the backside.

Warmup jumprope 3 minutes

Skater squat 60# x10
Hobo Laterals 30# 2.5" x10
Skater squat 60# x10
Hobo Laterals 30# 10" rest/pause x6/4, dropset to 2.5" x5
Skater squat 60# x10

Hamstring/Glute extension single leg 25# x8
Hobo Paddle 40# 7.5" x8
Hamstring/Glute extension single leg 25# x6
Hobo Paddle 40# 12.5" rest/pause x6/4, dropset 5" x3
Hamstring/Glute extension single leg 25# x6

unloaded decksquats x8
cossack stretch
tricep press 40lbs x15
seated twist
unloaded decksquats x8
hamstring stretch
tricep press 40lbs x8

Current version of Hobo Paddle exercise. Have added extension at the top of the movement - increases TUT for the target area (in this case rear delt and triceps) and increases challenge for off-side pec and bi.

Also current version of the lateral raise with included thrust - these added to the basic four movements as much as possible.

Even with a relatively short layoff of these I can feel that my core is not as tough as it was before switching to sandbag and isometrics, even though the sandbag work included offset lifting.

Am looking for any input re renaming of the "Hobo" series - it is catchy but no longer has much connection to the tool since eliminating the hanging KB.

Isometrics

Jumprope 3 minutes

Pec crossing low R,L
Pec crossing high, R,L

Cross pull low R,L
Cross pull high R,L

Last edited:
Warmup:
jumprope 3 minutes

SLDL 60lbs x10ea
Hobo Scap pulls 35lbs 7.5"x10
SLDL x10
Hobo Scap pulls 35lbs 12.5"x10 rest/pause x4, dropset 5" x3
SLDL x10

single leg extensions 30lb x12
Hobo Flags 30lbs 5" x10
Hobo Flags 30lbs 10" x10, rest/pause x2, dropset 2.5" x5

unloaded decksquats x8
cossack stretch
tricep press 40lbs x10
seated twist
unloaded decksquats x8
hamstring stretch
tricep press 50lbs x8

Jumprope HIIT

These continue to become less sucky. Can feel a definite improvement in my wind generally. Will do these w/ HR monitor after the New Year to see what it tells me.

Isometrics, added some core specific movements at the end instead of more leg work - really tough movements.
Jumprope 3 minutes

Pec crossing low R,L
Straight leg anterior extension R,L
Pec crossing high, R,L

Cross pull low R,L
Cross pull high R,L

Doorway anterior push R,L
Doorway posterior push R,L

Jumprope HIIT - these continue to seriously pump me up if done within 48 hrs of a solid Isometric session. Have found no reference to this anywhere on the interwebs. I need to explore this effect further.

Next time use straight overhead for the uppercut/front loader w/ 15" grip spacing

Warmup:
jumprope 3 minutes

Skater squat 60lbs x10ea
Hobo uppercut 30# 7.5" x10
Skater squat x10
Hobo uppercut 30# 12.5" x6/4 Rest Pause, 2.5" x6 dropset
Skater squat x10

hamstring extensions 30lb x12
Hobo scap rows 40# 7.5" x10
Hobo scap rows 40# 15" x6/4 Rest Pause, 5" x3 dropset

unloaded decksquats x8
cossack stretch
tricep press 35 lbs x10
seated twist
unloaded decksquats x8
hamstring stretch
tricep press 50lbs x10

Skater squats as I do them:

Newest pec version:

Last edited:
Yesterday
Warmup:
Jump rope 3 minutes

SLDL 60# Sandbag x8
Hobo Laterals 30lbs 5"x10
SLDL 60# Sandbag x10
Hobo Laterals 30lbs 12.5" x8/6 dropset 5"x6
SLDL 60# Sandbag x10

Single Leg Extension 30# x10
Hobo Paddle 40# 7.5 x10
Hobo Paddle 40#17.5" x5/3 dropset 7.5"x3

unloaded decksquats x8
cossack stretch
tricep press 40 lbs x10
seated twist
unloaded decksquats x8
hamstring stretch
tricep press 40lbs x10

Included short vid of some Iso core blasters I'm doing

Jumprope 3 minutes

Pec crossing low R,L
Straight leg anterior extension R,L
Pec crossing high, R,L

Cross pull low R,L
Cross pull high R,L

Doorway anterior push R,L
Doorway posterior push R,L

Current version of Hobo Paddle exercise. Have added extension at the top of the movement - increases TUT for the target area (in this case rear delt and triceps) and increases challenge for off-side pec and bi.

Also current version of the lateral raise with included thrust - these added to the basic four movements as much as possible.

Even with a relatively short layoff of these I can feel that my core is not as tough as it was before switching to sandbag and isometrics, even though the sandbag work included offset lifting.

Am looking for any input re renaming of the "Hobo" series - it is catchy but no longer has much connection to the tool since eliminating the hanging KB.

That's an awesome training device you've got there, did you build that yourself? How is it made, is it basically a barbell wrapped in tape?

Some names that come to mind:
- Honey Dipper (because that's what your device looks like ROFL)upload_2018-12-29_9-22-33.png
- Gravedigger (like a really heavy shovelling motion)
- Broomstick from hell (it looks a bit like sweeping, but a hell of an effort per sweep. If a cleaning lady goes to hell, this is what she'll be doing there... oh god, I'm going to hell for this:oops:) / sweeping hell.
- Stygian paddle / Charon's paddle / paddling the Styx (Greek mythology, Styx is the river of the dead [Stygian is the adjective], Charon is the ferryman who brings the dead to hades)
upload_2018-12-29_9-33-59.png

That's an awesome training device you've got there, did you build that yourself? How is it made, is it basically a barbell wrapped in tape?

Some names that come to mind:
- Honey Dipper (because that's what your device looks like ROFL)View attachment 7445
- Gravedigger (like a really heavy shovelling motion)
- Broomstick from hell (it looks a bit like sweeping, but a hell of an effort per sweep. If a cleaning lady goes to hell, this is what she'll be doing there... oh god, I'm going to hell for this:oops:) / sweeping hell.
- Stygian paddle / Charon's paddle / paddling the Styx (Greek mythology, Styx is the river of the dead [Stygian is the adjective], Charon is the ferryman who brings the dead to hades)

Stygian paddle...I like it! But Honey Dipper has a deceptive note to it when you realize what you're supposed to do with the thing.

The tool started life as a wrapped 1.5" black pipe with a bushing lined hole through one end. Weights were simply kettlebells lashed to the pole. Earlier versions were large diameter wood poles but was so tough on my grip I was giving myself tendonitis. I started with this experiment about a year ago after tinkering around with the concept for a few months.

I decided it would be a lot more convenient and keep the weight from crushing my fingers if I could switch to a plate loaded scheme. The basic 1" spin lock barbell fit almost perfectly inside the pipe - I had to wrap it with one turn of aluminum flashing material as a shim. I cut about a foot off the barbell below the spin lock, inserted, drilled it across and hold in place with a bolt/nut. In reality I could probably have just cut the barbell down and wrap it with skateboard tape or similar, but I had already spent a lot of time coxcombing the original pipe and didn't have the heart to stop using it or repeating it on another pole.

I will probably go back and cut the threaded portion down a bit as I don't imagine I will ever need more than 60lbs for any of the lifts I do. These are extremely tough on the core. Now when I train with traditional lifts that put the load within my center of gravity it feels like I'm seriously cheating myself.

These have provided some impressive physical expression results in terms of carry-over/day to day strength, and totally changed how I look at upper body and core training compared to lower body.

Back
Top Bottom