all posts post new thread

TSC Need a DL plan

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
[Session 1: 335 x 2 (no back-offs)
  • Sat 9/21: 1RM test (355?)

If I may butt in here...is there any reason to test your 1rm? Hitting that 1RM is going to take more than it gives, and you aren't that far out from the TSC where you will really test.

I suppose you have a good idea that the program is working. And you don't need to know your new 1rm to set percentages for the upcoming weeks or anything like that. So it seems maxing here would only be for your own personal knowledge.

(There may be some reason for testing your 1rm in order to be able to set your opening weight at the TSC. I can't see the point but I'm not versed in competing.
)

Not trying to tell you what to do. I'm following the same program, so I'm following your progress keenly. :)

@Tirofijo Nah, if I work up to a x2 day soon (next week) and another (+5 or 10) 2-rep day right before the TSC, I’ll use that as my opener.

@Sean M , for the TSC week: . Also, I wouldn't test your 1RM on 9/21. Just start over a little heavier than what you started the first time (275-ish, like you mentioned). Other than that, looks like a plan! :)

@freeflowme , glad to hear this was helpful! I wouldn't suggest following PTTP 2.0 with military presses... there's too little volume if you're only lifting 2-3x/week. There are a lot of other ways you could go to change things up a bit though. Too many to speculate here. I'd suggest perusing the StrongFirst blog... There are plenty of programs out there that include pressing. Pick one, and follow it. Then re-assess, rinse, and repeat!

@Sean M : Pavel mentions in the comment section of the Quick and the Deadlift article that the Bench Press needs more frequency than DLs for a similar maintenance/progression. And I think he mentions in Easy Strength that Overhead Presses need more volume than Bench Presses because the latter can be loaded heavier and therefore give a stronger stimulus.

@Ryan Toshner Got it! 100 singles at 15%...if my max is 365-375, that is only ~55 pounds. Should I use a 24kg kettlebell instead? Or bar + a 5-er on each side and propped up somehow (rack/block pull)?

I won’t do 1RM on Saturday. These past two days went well enough that I can do 345 x 2 and then reset and work back up.

@Ryan Toshner Got it! 100 singles at 15%...if my max is 365-375, that is only ~55 pounds. Should I use a 24kg kettlebell instead? Or bar + a 5-er on each side and propped up somehow (rack/block pull)?

I won’t do 1RM on Saturday. These past two days went well enough that I can do 345 x 2 and then reset and work back up.

You want to really pattern the movement, so use a barbell set to the correct height. I used a pair of 25s if I recall. At Ryan’s gym the have a wooden rack made for this specific purpose.

Last heavy day, 355 x 2...a weight and rep PR for me:

I knew I had a third rep in there, but held back.

I think for TSC I will do:
  • Set 1: 355 (if nothing else, this would be +70lbs from TSC 2017)
  • Set 2: 375
  • Set 3: 390
Early next week is the goofy 100 (10 x 10 singles) explosive reps at 17% thing.

Thank you again @Ryan Toshner, this was a good program for me.

Last edited:
Great job and sounds like a good plan!

Your video cuts off before the pull.

Great job and sounds like a good plan!

Your video cuts off before the pull.
I fixed it by uploading the whole thing. The new iOS software update seems to have this problem (not uploading the trimmed portion).

How should I plan my 3 sets for Saturday? Is 355 opener a waste? Open with 375, then two tries at 405?

Hard to say if you haven't practiced heavy singles recently. Always good to open with something you have no doubts about, and can move quickly. You don't want to have to really grind on your first attempt.

Last heavy day, 355 x 2...a weight and rep PR for me:

Based on how that looked I'd say open with 365, and go 385 for your second. Based on how 2nd feels, probably 405 for your 3rd. But I have only done a handful of competitions, so just my thoughts for what it's worth.

Looked good, @Sean M !

For the TSC, I'd suggest: 365, 380, 395ish.

It's always good to leave just a little in the tank. There will always be another TSC to crush 400. And if you follow this program for the next few TSCs, I wouldn't be surprised to see you pulling mid-400s before too long.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom