all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Need a new mattress. You love yours?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

jrtmolar

Level 2 Valued Member
Getting overwhelmed by too many choices. If you love your mattress tell me why. Thanks!

I got the Bear Original, primarily because it kept getting recommended in reviews for “athletes”. It is my first all foam mattress, and I’m obsessed with it. Best sleep I’ve ever had and it’s literally hard for me to get out of bed in the mornings now.

But I was pretty broke for most of my life and buying mattresses on craigslist, this was also my first new mattress just to be honest about context lol. I buy a lot of beds for work nowadays and have to test them out and the foam destroys them all (but they’re also all single encased coil with pillow tops so a different breed).

Last edited:
My wife made me buy the most expensive mattress she could find, the Tempurpedic. It’s nice, and I can’t say I don’t like it, I just don't know why it’s so expensive.

When we were trying them out, the one that intrigued me the most and was much cheaper was the Purple mattress. It’s like a rubber cell and felt super good to me, but my wife vetoed it. It’s worth going to a mattress store and trying them, just know they’re good at their job and will upsell the crap out of you. But if you know that going in, you might be better off than me and my overpriced mattress.

Last edited:
I sleep on a yoga mat on the floor; once I was used to it, I have never had a better night's sleep.

My best ever was a futon with a foam core. My wife vetoed them decades ago, so my data is 30+ years old. But the cotton gave me the best sleep.

I recall reading somewhere that, as one gets older, one tends to prefer a somewhat softer mattress. I can vouch for that from personal experience; I have no idea why this may be, however.

-S-

Cotton *core*? That's just a regular futon, no?

I found the 100% cotton ones didn't have any "give" after a while.
Yes ‘regular’ although harder to find here than foam core ones. And, also yes, that they lose their give after a while.

A couple of personal data points if it helps anyone.

I got the Bear Original, primarily because it kept getting recommended in reviews for “athletes”. It is my first all foam mattress, and I’m obsessed with it. Best sleep I’ve ever had and it’s literally hard for me to get out of bed in the mornings now.

This looks interesting - they have a store not terribly far from us and I think we're going to give a try. I hadn't heard of this brand before - there are so many out there now.

When we were trying them out, the one that intrigued me the most and was much cheaper was the Purple mattress

My oldest son got one of these and he's very happy with it.

I had a ghost bed that I absolutely loved, but it gave the wife back issues. And the foam ones aren't as good for other bed activities (no bounce).
So we compromised and got the firmest mattress at the store.
I don't sleep as well, but she does, which overall makes everyone happier.

If you have a partner, I'd probably go with a sleep number so you can adjust the firmness on either side of the bed. Else if you are solo, the internet foam ones are great too.

The eightsleep mattress looks fantastic too, it has cooling and heating in it without the glorified fan technology that bedjet uses.

Yes ‘regular’ although harder to find here than foam core ones. And, also yes, that they lose their give after a while.
When I lived in Japan I slept on the regular cotton ones. They are quite thin there. We foreigners would always put two together. If you sleep on your back, it's fine.... When I ordered one for myself (I was in the States then) I got the foam core. For me it was the best of both worlds.
Anyway... more power to you!

I have slept on a double wide Brazilian hammock on a metal stand for 3 years now. This is the one I have:

I sleep a bit deeper (head in the pocket, way moreso than the gentleman in the sequence of pics), with a small rectangular Ikea cushion under my knees and head. This YouTube vid shows a much wider hammock but a good demonstration how to get in it so that you have as much flat sleeping surface as possible. I can also completely lay sidelying by pushing a foot into it, and turning and the fabric will mold into me (have been told woven hammocks are better for this than the more nylon type camping ones)

We had one out in the backyard, and reading about them in camping forums regarding hammock camping, I thought why not. Have a top of the line mattress and find the hammock way more comfortable, absolutely no stiffness in lower back or upper when getting up, and because you are floating on the fabric as it were, no pressure points. I do have to dress warmer as you will not have a mattress under you that blocks off exposure to the room air. Mine is close enough to our bedroom wall that I can push the wall with my hand and rock a bit. As someone diagnosed with restless leg syndrome my hubby has appreciated I am not kicking and moving near him. And, one's bed can still be there for intimacy before going your separate ways and there are of course other locations for that sort of thing as well ;)

I had a Sleep Number for about 10-years. It started feeling like a hard plastic bag so I got a Mypillow Matress topper. That added a year or two's life. Recently replaced it with an Original Mattress Factory. Its very very hard but its a real mattress. I like it but it took some getting used to a real mattress after the sleep number.

My wife made me buy the most expensive mattress she could find, the Tempurpedic. It’s nice, and I can’t say I don’t like it, I just don't know why it’s so expensive.

When we were trying them out, the one that intrigued me the most and was much cheaper was the Purple mattress. It’s like a rubber cell and felt super good to me, but my wife vetoed it. It’s worth going to a mattress store and trying them, just know they’re good at their job and will upsell the crap out of you. But if you know that going in, you might be better off than me and my overpriced mattress.
“Most expensive” just wondering if it really was because when I was mattress shopping I found a mattress that was over $20k it had padding you could take on and off based on the seasons lol. That’s the price of a decent car. I had to yank my kids off that mattress so they wouldn’t damage anything

I have slept on a double wide Brazilian hammock on a metal stand for 3 years now. This is the one I have:

I sleep a bit deeper (head in the pocket, way moreso than the gentleman in the sequence of pics), with a small rectangular Ikea cushion under my knees and head. This YouTube vid shows a much wider hammock but a good demonstration how to get in it so that you have as much flat sleeping surface as possible. I can also completely lay sidelying by pushing a foot into it, and turning and the fabric will mold into me (have been told woven hammocks are better for this than the more nylon type camping ones)

We had one out in the backyard, and reading about them in camping forums regarding hammock camping, I thought why not. Have a top of the line mattress and find the hammock way more comfortable, absolutely no stiffness in lower back or upper when getting up, and because you are floating on the fabric as it were, no pressure points. I do have to dress warmer as you will not have a mattress under you that blocks off exposure to the room air. Mine is close enough to our bedroom wall that I can push the wall with my hand and rock a bit. As someone diagnosed with restless leg syndrome my hubby has appreciated I am not kicking and moving near him. And, one's bed can still be there for intimacy before going your separate ways and there are of course other locations for that sort of thing as well ;)

My wife puts up with a lot my antics that some
People find odd like eating mostly meat (absolutely no processed foods), going on barefoot shirtless walks through the neighborhood in the winter, cold plunges every morning, sauna sessions, training with kettlebells wearing short shorts, never using products with phthalates in them, eating raw liver (well before liver king), and sleeping with grounding sheets lol. But I know she won’t let me put a hammock inside our house, as much as I’d love to. I have one in the yard, and it’s my favorite thing to do when camping. I never thought of sleeping in one every night but it sounds awesome.

“Most expensive” just wondering if it really was because when I was mattress shopping I found a mattress that was over $20k it had padding you could take on and off based on the seasons lol. That’s the price of a decent car. I had to yank my kids off that mattress so they wouldn’t damage anything

Like this: Nº2

Back
Top Bottom