all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Need a new mattress. You love yours?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
My wife made me buy the most expensive mattress she could find, the Tempurpedic. It’s nice, and I can’t say I don’t like it, I just don't know why it’s so expensive.

When we were trying them out, the one that intrigued me the most and was much cheaper was the Purple mattress. It’s like a rubber cell and felt super good to me, but my wife vetoed it. It’s worth going to a mattress store and trying them, just know they’re good at their job and will upsell the crap out of you. But if you know that going in, you might be better off than me and my overpriced mattress.
I had a consulting job for a year on the other side of our state, and used a new purple mattress and loved it, slept like a log. So when I retired, I replaced our old Serta perfect sleeper, with one and love this one also. My wife has mixed feelings about it, but she has terrible sleep patterns, often falling asleep in her recliner sofa in front of the tv, and then comes to bed in the middle of the night, or later. I've made two new country style beds for my grandson and granddaughter, and put new purple-style mattresses on them as well, no complaints.

Went to Costco, picked up a boxed King sized Casper mattress for $700. Happy with purchase. I have up to one year to return if for whatever reason it fails or I don't like it (big selling point for Costco).

I put a memory foam topper on top of my old mattress. Looks a bit like a glorified egg box and is wondrously comfortable cost me $300 from Clarke Rubber (Australia) a couple of years ago, well worth the spend and not as expensive as a flash new mattress.

I had a consulting job for a year on the other side of our state, and used a new purple mattress and loved it, slept like a log. So when I retired, I replaced our old Serta perfect sleeper, with one and love this one also. My wife has mixed feelings about it, but she has terrible sleep patterns, often falling asleep in her recliner sofa in front of the tv, and then comes to bed in the middle of the night, or later. I've made two new country style beds for my grandson and granddaughter, and put new purple-style mattresses on them as well, no complaints.
Which purple models you go with? There are lots of options to choose from. TIA

Which purple models you go with? There are lots of options to choose from. TIA
For our bed, we bought the Lucid Gel Memory foam, 10" mattress. For my granddaughter's and grandson's bed, I'm reasonably sure they were the Purple brand 10" memory foam. I can't check them as they're in their house in Maryland. I was considering the 8" for my grandson's to save a few bucks, but went with the 10". Ours was a medium firm, since we were used to our Serta, which was a firm. My daughter never liked how firm our old Serta felt, and to be honest I didn't like it at first either. When we've visited relatives at times and slept in mushier mattresses, I often had a sore back afterwards.

@offwidth and @Pavel Macek

I'm curious: why do you (each; independently i presume ;) )use just a plain futon?
What advantage/s does it give you?
Are you using Japanese style ones (about 5cm / 2" thick)?

I mean, I totally get why you'd use a futon, but I'm mystified as to why you would *not* use one with a foam core, since it seems to me that you get all the advantages and no disadvantage.

Thanks!

@Steve Freides
We have a Wink bed that we like and we also have a split king with different firmness Amerisleep twin XLs. I need a little softer than my wife (~100lb difference between us) so I don't bottom out; similar concept to the sleep number but more analog.

I went through the same thing trying to find a new mattress. We ended up trying a nectar mattress and I love it.

I sleep on a yoga mat on the floor; once I was used to it, I have never had a better night's sleep.
The firmest mattress is the best mattress.
I get my best night's sleep camping. Body feels good.
When I sleep over at a girls place they have soft mattresses and I get a sore back.

Getting overwhelmed by too many choices. If you love your mattress tell me why. Thanks!
In the last 3 years I’ve owned a Silk&Snow Hybrid organic mattress and it the Tuft&Needle Nod (Amazon) mattress. Absolutely loved the silk and snow. It’s a former mattress. The Nod is okay, a little too soft for my liking but the quality definitely seems there

@offwidth and @Pavel Macek

I'm curious: why do you (each; independently i presume ;) )use just a plain futon?
What advantage/s does it give you?
Are you using Japanese style ones (about 5cm / 2" thick)?

I mean, I totally get why you'd use a futon, but I'm mystified as to why you would *not* use one with a foam core, since it seems to me that you get all the advantages and no disadvantage.

Thanks!
Natural, simple, hard.

If memory serves, @mprevost has talked about sleeping on the floor as working for him.

I recall my TKD master telling me that he used to sit in the snow and meditate, but as he aged, he switched to sitting on the porch for that. Still only wearing his TKD uniform outside in the dead of winter, mind you. I mention this because some things may stay the same and some things may change as one ages. What I read online in various places suggests that a firm mattress is still best but "comfort layers" on top may be desirable/beneficial to older folks - no expertise claimed on my part here.

-S-

Back
Top Bottom