all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Need a warm up drill!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Yusuf

Level 1 Valued Member
Greetings.,
What would be a decent warm up drill for KB work, one that's not too long as I am usually pressed for time.
Thanks and regards,
Yusuf.

S&S has a warm up sequence which is a circuit of Prying Goblet Squats, Halos, and Hip Bridges.

Personally I love Face The Wall Squats and Rope Jumping.

Super Joints also has a great list of exercises that can be used for warming up.

I always do pendulum swings as a warm up.

They are used to teach the swing, but are great for warming up the muscles used and grooving the right pattern.

Thanks pnigro will try these out before the next workout. And thanks Jon I have been doing something similar for a warm up.

Warm ups can really vary depending on what work sets/skills you are looking to perform. What are you currently working and what are your goals?

I agree with Karen.
Dan John promotes "seamless" warmups, which is based on his idea of the 6 human movements (push/pull/squat/hinge/carry/groundwork). You should do them all, even if you just focus on one at a time. For example on S&S you focus on swings(hinge) and TGUs(groundwork). So you can integrate push, pull, squat & carry into your warmup e.g. a short circuit of pullups, pushups, goblet squats and then carry the kettlebell a few meters.
If you're on a squat heavy routine like Smolov do a couple of benches, rows, swings & farmers walks in your warmup. I think you get the point.

If it's just about getting a little sweat going before doing the main workout, rope skipping and macebell swings would be my choices.
20 double unders followed by 10 mb swings in every direction and then repeat that 1-2 more times. You will be sweating in just a matter of 2-3minutes

Warm ups can really vary depending on what work sets/skills you are looking to perform. What are you currently working and what are your goals?

Am working on a program based on swings,TGUs,front squats, cleans and presses.

Am working on a program based on swings,TGUs,front squats, cleans and presses.

Yusuf -
I would use your TGU as your warm up before doing all the other skills you listed. Each day do your TGu's first and you can wave the load using a different weight if light, medium or heavy day. I normally do them as my warm up unless I have something specific that is extra tight that I might need to foam roll.

Thank you Karen, did the TGU as a warm up with a light kb and it helped. Served as a full body warm up.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom