all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Need advice for OAPU - form check

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Matthieu

Level 6 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Hello,

I'm working pistol and OAPU. If someone could check my form on the OAPU, I would be very grateful... During the OAPU, is it a problem if my hips shift to the side (without rotation, just a translation) ?
Thank you in advance
Matthieu

here is my oapu :

Strong work, @Matthieu ! Form looks good to me. You do have an extra twist on the second one (right side), but I think it would still meet SFB standards because your shoulders don't rise faster than hips. A shift to the side is OK. But for the strongest OAPU and working towards OAOLPU, you would work to minimize this. According to my manual, work on strongly contracting hip and waist muscles on the free side in the plank position. Also, while training that right side, assist with your left hand out to the side on the floor to make the PU a bit easier so you can maintain body tension and alignment. Make sure working shoulder stays tight and pulled down away from ear. Great job staying on your toes, getting set up, adding the pause at the top and bottom... all looks good.

Shift to the side from the hips is ok, as long as everything stays parallel to the floor.
It meets the standard (left better than right).
Your scapulae could be more stable.

It's enough to pass IMO. work up to doing multiple reps of OAP then start practicing an elevated OAOLPU you'll be surprised it will just appear

@jef I missed your message, don't know why I didn't have seen it. Thank you for your feedback !
@Mark Limbaga thank you for your advice. The OAOLPU is the goal !

You can simply use GTG for that movement so probably elevate your hands so it would be less taxing then once you can hit 4-5 reps of the OAP, start patterning the OAOLPU

Until now I have practiced the assisted OAPU (sets of 3-5 reps assisted with the free hand). I will try the elevated hand strategy... so maybe I will be able to start working the OAOLPU soon.
Thank you Mark.

Decrease the depth just a bit and the shoulder will not dump forward at the bottom. This will keep more tension and allow you to advance to OAOL plank holds in the top and bottom positions to build balance and stability. Then you can begin working elevated OAOLPU.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom