all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Need advice

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

NovaG926

First Post
Hey all. It's my 27th birthday today, and here I stand 6'0 at 330 pounds. I have two kettlebells, a 20 and a 35 pounder. I want to do simple and sinister, but I dont have a doctor I can go to to clear me. I have to lower my blood pressure to pass a drivers physical by October 7th. (Assuming its terrible, I dont have a way to check) My father just had a triple bypass six months ago. I dont want that. I dont want to hate myself or feel depressed anymore. I have been cleaning my eating up as best I can given my financial situation. I just need a beginner plan I can do every day. I follow better than I lead. Didn't mean to write a novel, but here it is.

@NovaG926, welcome to the StrongFirst forum. Have you tried our instructor search feature in order to locate someone near you? Perhaps your local SFG can recommend a doctor to you.

-S-

Welcome, @NovaG926. You have what you need to get started with something with those kettlebells, and congratulations on deciding to take action! You found a good place, here. Can you get a copy of the book, Simple & Sinister?

I should be able to. Luckily it's on kindle. I just need to see if I can get some money together. Things are tight right now.

Hey all. It's my 27th birthday today, and here I stand 6'0 at 330 pounds. I have two kettlebells, a 20 and a 35 pounder. I want to do simple and sinister, but I dont have a doctor I can go to to clear me. I have to lower my blood pressure to pass a drivers physical by October 7th. (Assuming its terrible, I dont have a way to check) My father just had a triple bypass six months ago. I dont want that. I dont want to hate myself or feel depressed anymore. I have been cleaning my eating up as best I can given my financial situation. I just need a beginner plan I can do every day. I follow better than I lead. Didn't mean to write a novel, but here it is.
Welcome to the forum Nova, and happy birthday!

Congrats on deciding to take control of your health. You have decided to eat better and that's winning half the battle.

About exercise: Simple and Sinister book suggested by Anna above is a great alternative.

Hope you get to start training soon and let us know how it goes or if you have any questions.

Good luck @NovaG926

Things that work for me (prioritized in order):

- Try and eat a healthy, balanced meals. Lots of protein. Make sure to slowly reduce your calories, but not too much, maybe 500 calories below equilibrium. But dont reduce too much. Dont starve yourself or you are jumping over dollars to pickup nickels. It's all about a mass/energy balance. Focus on healthy whole foods. Eliminate the obvious junk.

- Sleep. A full night sleep. If you are only getting 5 hr as your baseline, dont start waking up an hour early to "workout" (now 4 hr sleep). Its a bad long term investment on that hour.

- Find somebody to lean on and help make you accountable. A coach, a workout buddy, a journal, maybe this forum...

- Drink lots of water, especially when you are hungry. Hunger can be painful, especially the 1st day or 2. This temporary discomfort yields long term success. The alternative is short-term pleasure (eating cake for example) yielding long term discomfort. Water can help.

- Walk. A lot. Every day. 1 hr if you can. Walking 3 times 20 min per day is probably better than 1 time 60 min per day. Just move!

- Do a minimalist resistance training program. S&S would be great if interested in kettlebells. Sometimes when it comes to resistance training and fat loss, less can be more. If you are limited on time, focusing on meal preparation is probably more important than your training. Notice that this section is the lowest priority. When I want to lose weight I train less (with weights). I do enough to minimize muscle loss. It is hard to train "hard" on a caloric deficit.

Ping if you need help. I am not a trainer, fyi, just a guy that has been on this ride.

Regards,

Eric

+1 to everything William Bad Butt said. I would emphasize brisk walking 2 or 3 times a day more than kettlebells at this stage of the game. You’d be surprised at what diet and walking can do for your health. Definitely add those kettlebells to your regimen at some point though.

The only area I would consider contrary to what @william bad butt said is the diet. Long term lifestyle change is neccessary but I would consider starting that with a drastic change first. I accepted this philosophy from Dan John that taking a month or two of solid dedication to getting the body into ketosis is not only helpful but necessary.

In my experience a "crash" diet very low (like 500cal /day) in calories works if it is based on 85% or more of fats and <20g of carbs. This "fad" went through the office I used to work at and everyone lost tons of weight, health markers dramatically improved, and they changed their relationship to food in general to establish the long-term diet.

@NovaG926 : Welcome to the forum, and good luck with S&S and your health journey :). Once you get started, try posting a video of your swings and get-ups, and keep a journal. You can do that here too, very motivational!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom