all posts post new thread

Old Forum Need help clarifying whats bad whats good?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Superman2012

Level 1 Valued Member
Hey everyone I was wondering if someone could help point me in the right direction. I've been following Pavel for a while and also a man named Dr. Stuart McGill who says that you shouldn't be doing exercises such as sit ups and crunches while also maintaining a neutral spine. I've read a bunch of material that says sit ups can be very damaging in the long run and I think there could be something to this. Now with all that being said while I love to workout and do it in the correct way so I won't have problems late on in life I having been thinking about joining the Army Reserves and the APFT has three events in it. Push ups, Sit ups and a 2 mile run. Push ups are fine, I'm very good at Sit ups, I suck at the 2 mile run.

Now here are three questions I have that I am hoping someone here can help me with:

1) Can someone please give me a way to train for sit ups without actually doing sit ups or at the very least that I can pass them? Any specific exercises, workout routines, how many sets and reps should be done?

2) My running sucks and I could really use some advice about how to train for the 2 mile run. Keep in mind I have trouble running 1 mile so if any could please give me a routine for that it would be great thanks.

3) Are there any other exercises or things I could do in order to avoid muscle imbalances while training for the APFT?

Thank you for your time! I appreciate any help you can give!

I can't help you with questions 1 and 3 but for the running the are apps out there for smartphones and iPods if you have one with names like couch 2 5k which are great for beginner runners(people that can run 1 mile or less) the cover about a 9 week period but can go longer if needed.

the apps won't help with the pace for APFT but if you find a good sprint program that will help build speed or find a gym with ellipticals statues the resistance feature increasing slowly until fit can't go any higher

I don't do sit-ups except for the twice per year PT tests.  I do TGUs, Burpees and swings and thats it.  Max the sit-ups easily.   Also, I don't run.  The snatches seem to take care of that.  I ran my fastest time   about 2 weeks ago and I've only run about 5 miles this entire year.

Basically, I'm doing ROP, and doing burpees TGUs, and push-ups on the variety days.   I swing 5 days per week.

I'm no expert, just a dude doing the program plus a few extra exercises.  It works for passing military PT tests, in fact you'll do more than pass if you stick with it.

Whats ROP? Also could you please elaborate on your routine for all the exercises you do with how many days a week you do them all for, how many sets, how many reps and how long do you recommend resting inbetween each of them? Thanks

ROP is Right of Passage, it's in Enter the Kettlebell.  As I said, I'm no expert and I don't  really feel qualified to recommend a program for you.  Noentheless, I'll tell you what I am up to and you can take it for whatever its worth.  This basically what my week looked like.

Monday: Medium day- medium effort ladders for presses, front squats, pull-ups.  I do 4 rounds (I know ETK says 5, but I'm always in a hurry) of 24kg doubles 2/3/5/7, then 10-12 front squats, then 13-14 strict pull-ups.  Finish with 100 continuous alternating hand 24kg swings.

Tuesday: variety day.  TGUs, 32 kg.  I do 3/3, 3/3, 2/2, 1/1.  In between sets I do burpees, push-ups.  Shoot for 20 burpees, 30-50 push-ups.  Finish with 100 32 kg 2 hand swings.  I do 20 swings per minute for 5 minutes.

Wed:  Light day.  32 kg singles, clean and press, ladders of 1,2,3.  Goblet squats 32kg 15-20 reps x 4 sets.  10 minutes of 24 kg snatches.  Did 166 this week

Thursday: similar to tuesday.  Sometimes I do high pulls with the 32 kg.

friday: heavy day.  32kg presses 2,3,5,7 singles x 4 sets.  24 kgx2 front squat, 10 x 4 sets.  Pull-ups 13-14  strict x 4 sets.  finish with 100 32kg swings (20 per minute for 5 minutes)

I generally rest a minute or two between sets.  Now, be advised this isn't totally doctrinal ROP in terms of the ladders and whatnot.  Also, I'm no expert.  It's working for me for the moment.  Caveat emptor.

Nick, I believe you will find the answers to your abs/spine question in Hardstyle Abs.

For running, run + do kettlebell swings, e.g. the Program Minimum.

Nick, I can't comment on your running form but do some reading and make sure you're running well.  My favorite book on the subject is Explosive Running by Dr. Michael Yessis.

For a training plan, you cannot do better than Running Formula by Dr. Jack Daniels.   Be forewarned that 2 miles is not a sprint a you will need to train like a distance runner.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom