all posts post new thread

Barbell Need Help Strength Training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Alex Sam

Level 1 Valued Member
I’m 6’6 weigh 195 and have 20% bf I’m an sophomore in high school and an basketball players

This season I was playing jv the first half of the season and benching varsity the second half of it. It took me quite to finally grow up and releazie I can get an scholarship with my height if I put the work in right now still have time in high to be able to do this.

I have done a lot of research into strength training the past few days look at many program like 5/3/1 the VJ Bible and many other programs and threads (this thread the most) and I have created my own program that will be the best the most but I want you guys to look at just so I have assurance that I’m doing the right thing and if this won’t ruin my chance at being really good in high school

I bench 135 my goal is 200 (an 65 pound increase)
I squat 185 goal is 300 (an 115 increase)
I deadlift (will use hex bar) 315 goal is 400 (an 85 pound increase)

I want to reach this goal end of June and I’m start in March (4 month period 17 weeks period) I want to have this basic of strength so i can then go do more explosive training and more ploymetrics in the summer time when the snow disappear which is best for an basketball players after getting an base of strength

The routine I will using for March is below

2 min rest for big lifts
1 min rest for accessory lifts

4 Days a week

Mon: Squat day
  • Warmup set bar only for 8 reps for each workout

• Main Lifts Lower: Barbell squat 3x5 85%1RM

• supplementary: Box Squat 4x6 70%1RM 4 sec pause

• 2 Accessory Lifts: Paused squat 4x6 65%1RM and Barbell Lunges 4x8
Tues:Bench Day

• Main Lift: Bench press 3x5 85%1RM

• supplementary: Push press 3x5

• 2 Accessory Lift: Db bench press 4x6 and Skullcrushers 4x8
Wed:Squat Day

• Main Lift: Barbell Squat 3x5 85% 1RM

• supplementary: Box squat 4x6 70%1RM 4 sec pause

• 2 accessory lifts: Pause squats 4x6 65%1RM and Barbell Lunges 4x6
Fri: Deadlift Day

• Main Lift: Trap bar Deadlift 3x5 85%1RM

• supplementary: Romanian deadlift 4x6

• 2 Accessory Lifts: Glute bridge 4x8 and Barbell shrug 4x8

• 1 Hour Balance AB and flexibility mobility h

The rep scheme I will be using for the three big lifts is 3x5 85%1RM and I’ll add an reasonaable amount of weight every week because I’m an beginner

Is 1 supmentally lift and two accessory liftzgood to do for every compound per day for March as an beginner or is that to much intensity or volume for me

And also im squatting two days a week because I need to increase the squat the most out of all my big lifts i also see this as the most important lift of all my Liftsalso

Atfer March I won’t be able to workout 3 days because I will have to work two days a week to keep up with food and some other things atfer all my saved money is spent

So I will then move on to this rountine

3 Days a week routine

Mon: Squat and bench day

• Main Lifts

• Lower: Barbell squat 3x5 85%1RM
  • Bench press 3x5 85%1RM

• 1 accessory lifts for each lift

• Barbell Lunges 4x6
  • Skullcrushers 4x8
Wed:Squat and bench day

• Main Lifts

• Barbell squat 3x5 85%1RM
  • Bench press 3x5 85%1RM

• 1 accessory lifts for each lift

• Barbell Lunges 4x6
  • Skullcrushers 4x8
Fri: Deadlift and push press Day

• Main Lift

• Trap bar Deadlift 3x5 85%1RM
  • Push press 3x5 85%1RM

• 1 Accessory Lifts one for each main Lift

• Romanian deadlift 4x6

• 4x8
Still looking for an accessory lift for the push press I will be squatting and benching twice a weeks it that to much volume?

For my diet I will be on an 2800 Carloie diet putting protien and carbs first then fats my goal is to get to 12% bf by June is it possible with this diet and my workout plan, I know eating like this can limit my newbie gains but it is what I got to do if I want to be explosive as an basketball player and have an high vertical I can’t have a lot of deadweight on me

if I go by the first routine all of March then move on to the second rotinine the rest of the way until June will I see be able to lift at the goals By June, and with the rep and set scheme of 3x5 85%1RM the whole way there with the big three lifts will I see these gains?

And yes I will have be stretching a lot every morning before workout and night

From June to October I will be during a lot of Olympia lifts (explosive training and ploymertics but want to get base of strength for March to June

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you, do you know anyone in this forum who could help me with strength training routine? i know that it alot of reading but it would be appreaticed

One question is, how much are you going to practice/play during this cycle of strength training?

One question is, how much are you going to practice/play during this cycle of strength training?

have 30 min practice every thrusday and auu games on weekends, some little cardio. from march to june i will mainly focus on the strength training want to improve my lifts

One major question is unanswered: why you don't want to follow any established training program and instead try to create your own with no experience or knowledge. It will sound harsh, but you really don't know what you are doing and writing a personalized program is very hard even for oneself, even for experienced lifters.

Also, please format your program so it is more readable and doesn't take up several screens to scroll through

Last edited:
can you tip me with any established programs that you think will work best for me? my goal is have an 300 squat 400 deadlift and 200 bench by June I said it in the post you might how not seen it because it so long sorry about that.

My thoughts - your build will be more suited to Deadlifting and trap/hex bar style is great for improving athletic qualities as a stand alone movement - don't neglect the importance of this exercise just chasing the squat (not so much programming but more your mental desire to attack and push this lift up over time)

Secondly you'll struggle to add much strength dieting and being in a calorie deficit. Eat more, let the gains come and your BF % will probably improve anyway due to added muscle mass. Don't short change the added strength through dieting as the strength will likely offset any fat your currently carrying. Bigger and stronger will do more for your athleticism than skinnier and weaker IMO

and also do you think there is enough excerises in my routine is there to much volume/intesiny or to little or just right that the one thing i really want to on point with

can you tip me with any established programs that you think will work best for me? my goal is have an 300 squat 400 deadlift and 200 bench by June I said it in the post you might how not seen it because it so long sorry about that.
You said that you have done research over the last several days. You pointed to a couple programs that you looked at before constructing your own. I don't know your limitations, but what made you dismiss those programs? Your goals are simple - build strength. Your starting point is clearly a novice. There are a couple free and paid programs on the internet for a novice. Pavel Tsatsouline program is called Power to the People. It trains the deadlift and the press. Since your goals include squats and bench, you may look at other programs as well. Most popular is the Starting Strength, which will last you about 3-4 months depending on your training sensitivity and then you can reassess your gains and figure out your next intermediate program from a better vantage point.

I just looked it up I would love to do it but do you really need to include acesssory lifts or dont include them, is it needed to progess in my lifts

i know i really havent found my weak point yet but i put those accessory lifts in for the volume and intensity.
but i do know one weak point i have for sure my lower back everything i do sleeping, going to school playing basketball, i have pain in my lower back. i see the lower back the only way to relive it is from stretching it do you know any good lower back stretches to warm up with before i lift?

I just looked it up I would love to do it but do you really need to include acesssory lifts or dont include them, is it needed to progess in my lifts
If you have looked up specific programs, please provide links so that we can see what you've been looking at.

-S-

You need to stop overanalysing your lifts so much right now. You need to start training and learn as you go along. There are reasons to include accessory lifts but you don't need to worry figuring it out on your own. Trust the process.

i see where you are going so i should just keep it simple, I put those lifts in because i really want to working as hard as i can so i confirm myself that i can reach my goals for the three lifts. But ill do what you have told me, i see ss strength as a good rountine. I just stick to this and add acessory lifts as I go if needed. Another question should i go 85% my 1RM for all my lifts?, i dont want to go to heavy because im afraid of huritng myself especially my lower back

Another question should i go 85% my 1RM for all my lifts?, i dont want to go to heavy because im afraid of huritng myself especially my lower back
You are still overanalyzing. As a novice you don't know your 1RM, nor should you test for it. So you don't know your percentages. Any half-decent novice program will teach you how to pick weights and increase them. Trust the process.

thank you for the advice, i really appreciated it. if i have an more questions i will come back to this thread ty :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom