all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Need help with conditioning plan

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

preterosso

Level 3 Valued Member
Hi, All

I've recently got Q&D and wonder how and if I could fit it in my already taxing weekly program. I do very basic barbell training for strength and mass 2x/week and fold dancing 3x/week. Dancing is, most of the time, a combination of ballistic full body movements and (not always) steady state cardio, and already pushing my limits in terms of recovery and its 'interference' effect with strength training.

My dilemma: should I start Q&D for conditioning and expect to make things easier in the long run or should I cut back on strength&mass training to maintenance level (1x/week), and only work on my endurance until 3-4 hours of dancing a week becomes a walk in the park, then resume more serious barbell training? Also, how can I combine AA methods with strength&hypertrophy training: same training day/separate days?
Thanks for reading.

Hello,

+1 to @offwidth
Working up to Simple would be good before starting Q&D. S&S will provide you a great base of strength (and conditioning as well). From there you can pick what you want.

S&S is not that taxing until Simple so you can incorporate it quite easily. It can be performed daily / almost daily. Plus the GU will give you a nice blend of strength and mobility.

Kind regards,

Pet'

For conditioning I love to do sprint training. I feel like if I stay consistent doing 1-2 sessions a week, my power output and overall movement in my chosen sport of MMA just improves drastically.

Thank you all. To be honest I have no idea about what the strength standards you are talking about are. I do basic barbell training, bench, ohp, pullups, rows, squats, rdl, a few accessories 2x/week. Anti-glycolytic training got my attention mainly because I had a very good run with Waterbury's 10x3 'anti-bodybuilding' method and I thought these most recent AA methods are very close but more sophisticated relatives.

One more question: am I reading right that the only difference between Q&D protocolls and barbell strength training in submax 3-5 rep range training is the first using only ballistic/dynamic movements? Also, could/should Q&D methods be applied to loaded carries and sled work, too?

@preterosso It sounds like you came to StrongFirst by way of Q&D and not the somewhat standard and more common entry point of S&S (Kettlebell Simple & Sinister). That's OK. You've been training and are already strong. You probably don't need to check the box of the recommended Simple standard from S&S in order to start with Q&D, but some of the concepts may be harder to grasp. If you've read Q&D you can see how in-depth the theory, explanations, and instructions are in terms of specific training stimulus and adaptations.

should I start Q&D for conditioning and expect to make things easier in the long run or should I cut back on strength&mass training to maintenance level (1x/week), and only work on my endurance until 3-4 hours of dancing a week becomes a walk in the park, then resume more serious barbell training?

This would be my suggestion.

how can I combine AA methods with strength&hypertrophy training: same training day/separate days?

I think either one works (I have done it both ways), but each has its own stress stimulus, so you have to be mindful of the overall training load.

Hi, All

I've recently got Q&D and wonder how and if I could fit it in my already taxing weekly program. I do very basic barbell training for strength and mass 2x/week and fold dancing 3x/week. Dancing is, most of the time, a combination of ballistic full body movements and (not always) steady state cardio, and already pushing my limits in terms of recovery and its 'interference' effect with strength training.

My dilemma: should I start Q&D for conditioning and expect to make things easier in the long run or should I cut back on strength&mass training to maintenance level (1x/week), and only work on my endurance until 3-4 hours of dancing a week becomes a walk in the park, then resume more serious barbell training? Also, how can I combine AA methods with strength&hypertrophy training: same training day/separate days?
Thanks for reading.
I think A&A training goes a little better with LSD work since you are already pushing yourself pretty hard with 20-40 rounds of around 5 reps at a decent weight. You may want to take a look at the Hybrid Conditioning Program or From Simple To Serious Endurance.

Attachments

• kbemomtable.jpg
    kbemomtable.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 12
  • simple-to-serious-endurance.jpg
    simple-to-serious-endurance.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 11
I have a slightly different opinion that simple doesn't need to be obtained to get the benefit of Q&D training if using squat jumps. Kettlebells or even sprints need a certain level of proficiency but some movements don't have that cost of attendance. Something like an airdyne bike works too.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom