all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Need some advice regarding the purchase of a heavier kettlebell

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anthony

Level 2 Valued Member
So, I’m not entirely new to kettlebells. I did them while in high school, but only sparingly and probably with bad form in hindsight.

I recently started up again. My brother had a 35 lb kettlebell that he never used, and I just started to do swings with it. Well, after about two months, and in addition to other types of strength training, I can now do a good 40-50 continuous reps of single arm kettlebell swings with the 35 lbs before I start to feel fatigued.

I want to buy a heavier kettlebell. The problem is, all the athletic stores in my area (I live in a relatively small town and there’s only a few) either don’t sell kettlebells or they do and the highest I’ve been able to find is a 44 lb one. And I don’t feel like driving a long way outside my area for a piece of exercise equipment.

So I’m just going to buy one online. But since I can’t physically test anything heavier than 44lb pounds, I have no way to find out which size fits me right now.

So my question is simple. If I can bust out a good 40-50 reps of a kettlebell swing with one arm (both left and right) with the 35 lb before feeling some fatigue, can I theoretically do the two handed swing for about the same number of reps with the 70lb one?? Or does it not work that way with the kettlebells?

If it doesn’t work that way, what size should I probably get? I’m really just focusing on the swing for now.......with a little bit of the Turkish get up.

Thanks

@Anthony, back in the day, the kettlebell choices were 16 kg, 24 kg, and 32 kg, and that was it.

Get a 24 - it'll feel heavy at first, but give yourself a couple of weeks and you'll become accustomed to it. 24 kg is your next step, and it is the standard size we use for most adult men at our instructor certifications.

If you (or someone willing to order for you) has access to an amazon prime account, shipping on Rep Fitness kettlebells is free - those are what I've been buying lately and I'm happy with them.

-S-

So my question is simple. If I can bust out a good 40-50 reps of a kettlebell swing with one arm (both left and right) with the 35 lb before feeling some fatigue, can I theoretically do the two handed swing for about the same number of reps with the 70lb one?? Or does it not work that way with the kettlebells?

Doesn't really work that way, but most of us around here wouldn't advise doing sets of swings greater than 10 for most purposes anyway. 10 solid swings with a challenging bell and explosive power is a good set. Rest, repeat, rest, repeat, rest, repeat....

I agree with Steve, get a 24kg. Order a copy of "Simple and Sinister". And, welcome to the forum!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom