Need Some Ideas...

Discussion in 'Other' started by Nathan, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Nathan

Nathan Double-Digit Post Count

So I have this trap bar / rickshaw that has somewhat small handles. I do not want to make them 2" grips, but I would like to maybe bring the thickness up to about 1 1/4". Does anyone know of any easy fixes for this aside from wrapping the bars in a lot of grip tape? Thanks!

2. MattM

MattM SFG1 Certified Instructor

Pvc pipe. Wrap towels around. Wear thick gloves.

3. Geoff Chafe

Geoff Chafe Strong, Powerful Member of the Forum

Rickshaw?

Just use Fat Grips. They will be more benificial than anything else in this application. I taped them with athletic tape. I had to fight the rotation of the Grips on the 25mm bar which forced me to crush them as hard as possible. The thumb works hard as a brake also. I liked this implement a lot. I did Stiff Leg Deadlifts with this setup.

28345D77-88D2-4DA7-9683-B6332B2C282F.jpeg

For a slight increase in diameter build it up with tape is your best option. The easiest option is often best.

4. Nathan

@Geoff Chafe - My rickshaw is a squared off trap bar where one side is open. I do own fat gripz, but wasnt looking to do that because itll drop the amount of weight I am moving right now. However, it may become an option at some point.

5. Geoff Chafe

Geoff Chafe Strong, Powerful Member of the Forum

A few sets with fat Grip on ramp up and/or back off work. Hit your heavy 1-5 then drop down for a few thick grip sets.

Use thick bar for 2-3 warmup sets and remove, slide them out of the way, for work sets.

Or just build up tape for a thicker grip.

6. MattM

MattM SFG1 Certified Instructor

@Geoff Chafe My trap bar is bare steel with aggressive knurling and 25mm. Without fatgripz it feels like a piece of wire that's going to slice my fingers off.

Carl in Dover likes this.
  7. Nathan

@MattM - Mine is somewhat like that, makes it hard on the fingers and causes more callouses due to the smaller diameter.