all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Need tips for training for selection while doing training with unit.

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

StrictDay

Level 2 Valued Member
I’m currently in an airborne infantry unit looking to go to psy-op selection. It’s not the same level of intensity physically as SFAS , but still consist of a lot of rucking and some physical events. Our unit pt has been alright, but I feel as if I should be doing more on my own consider I barely met the minimum pt test requirement for me of 49 push-ups, 58 sit-ups, and 15:40 2 mile run when I did a benchmark recently. Currently we do: M-Easy run, T- leg day, W-Ruck, Th-ACFT practice, F-Push/Pull. On my own I usually do easy/long runs on T,TH,F and a ruck on Saturday. I prefer simplistic programs like S&S or NW but I’m not sure what and where/when I should add to avoid injury and allow sufficient recovery time. Any tips and advice is appreciated.

Strictday, I’m a former PSYOP NCO turned pilot. Your schedule isn’t too bad, it’s a great place to start. Focus on ruck marching and time under load. I would add in some mountain biking (which has a great carry over), and 2 days of KB carries (farmers walks, rack walks, etc)

if you have any questions feel free to let me know. Good luck with your prep.

Strictday, I’m a former PSYOP NCO turned pilot. Your schedule isn’t too bad, it’s a great place to start. Focus on ruck marching and time under load. I would add in some mountain biking (which has a great carry over), and 2 days of KB carries (farmers walks, rack walks, etc)

if you have any questions feel free to let me know. Good luck with your prep.
Thanks for this. I never considered doing KB carries. Should I add them to supplement workouts or make a workout to focus on them? I figure doing them after a run might transition the most to other areas, but I’m unsure if that’s good for my joints.

Thanks for this. I never considered doing KB carries. Should I add them to supplement workouts or make a workout to focus on them? I figure doing them after a run might transition the most to other areas, but I’m unsure if that’s good for my joints.

I would add them to the end of your workouts 2-3x per week. I would add anywhere between 3-5 sets about 50m long. Change it up each workout; farmers carries on mondays, overhead carries on Wednesday and racked carries on Friday. (Just as an example)

Make sure you’re eating enough, hydrating, and doing mobility work. This will help elevate any over training you might run into.
Hope this helps.

I’m currently in an airborne infantry unit looking to go to psy-op selection. It’s not the same level of intensity physically as SFAS , but still consist of a lot of rucking and some physical events. Our unit pt has been alright, but I feel as if I should be doing more on my own consider I barely met the minimum pt test requirement for me of 49 push-ups, 58 sit-ups, and 15:40 2 mile run when I did a benchmark recently. Currently we do: M-Easy run, T- leg day, W-Ruck, Th-ACFT practice, F-Push/Pull. On my own I usually do easy/long runs on T,TH,F and a ruck on Saturday. I prefer simplistic programs like S&S or NW but I’m not sure what and where/when I should add to avoid injury and allow sufficient recovery time. Any tips and advice is appreciated.
Hit up the guys at Mountain Tactical. They have a plan for everything. I used them when getting ready for my Iraq and Afghanistan trips. I believe a monthly membership is under 30.00 and gives you access to every plan they have.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom