all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Need to prepare for a Heli-Skiing exedition in Canada

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

TedM

Level 6 Valued Member
Posting for a friend (honest! I'd personally never willingly do something where it's cold...)

He's a pretty fit guy of 40, who's going on an extreme ski expedition next year, in Canada.

He wants to train properly for it.

Any suggestions of either trainers or programs for him ?

Posting for a friend (honest! I'd personally never willingly do something where it's cold...)

He's a pretty fit guy of 40, who's going on an extreme ski expedition next year, in Canada.

Not to sound flippant but…. Loads of skiing…
Sure there are plenty of dry land exercises one can do, but nothing beats skiing. How skilled and experienced is your friend?
I assume downhill skiing, as opposed to ski mountaineering or back country skiing?

He's a very good skier. It's more for the conditioning and strength part of the experience.

There are a few Pistol Squat programs in the article section. That combined with swings might really help build up the strength and endurance. Both exercises just scream skiing to me.

Mountain Tactical Institute has quite a few skier focused strength and conditioning protocols.

Yes, he should join the StrongFirst forum. There are lots of unanswered questions. "Pretty fit" - we want to know more. "Train properly" - we'll want to know what sort of training he's been doing, including how much of the type of skiing (per @offwidth) he'll be doing. And what kind of skiing (per @offwidth) he'll be doing. And for how long (each day, how many days, what altitude, etc.) What does "extreme" mean in this context?

-S-

And to add to the good questions from @Steve Freides … when is this friend going on this trip? By that I mean is it at the beginning, middle, or end of a ski season for him. I would program training differently in each case. (Regardless of the type of skiing)
Lots of variables at play here, and more questions.
To also echo Steve… your friend should join us here on the forum and benefit from direct interaction.

Back
Top Bottom