all posts post new thread

Barbell Neuro-mass Isometric bar

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Simply strong

Level 4 Valued Member
Is this bar still available? I saw a link in the back of my copy of power to the people. There’s a link to DD but I can’t find it on their website. I can’t help but think kettlebells and this is the perfect home gym combo.

This kind of isometric exercise platform has been around forever in homemade DIY form.

It would be easy enough to build the equivalent with a plywood base, anchor rails made of pipe, flanges, and elbows, webbing straps or chains, some carabiners, and length of pipe for the bar.

You don't even need a platform though. You can just use webbing and stand on top of it to anchor it.

Gymnatics rings would work fine for this. You can use the rings as separate handles or put a pipe/bar through the rings.

Here's a guy who makes another product that would work:
The Hook | Fitness Bands | Strand Pulling | Resistance & Exercise Bands | Sierra Exercise Equipment

He has a "suspension trainer" that is a length of webbing with sewn loops, and handles with hooks attached. Just stand on the webbing, hook the handles into the loops at the right length for the position you want to train, and go. You could also use a pipe as a bar and slip the ends through the webbing loops at the length you want.

I've done a fair amount of isometric training over the years using a variety of setups. I guess it "works" okay, but I generally find it tedious and unenjoyable, so I rarely do it anymore.

I have a webbing ladder-like device with PVC rung/handles that can be used as a suspension trainer and for isometrics that I sometimes use while traveling when I need something very light and portable, but that's about it. BTW, the device is the no longer available Bodyweight Culture USA (Universal Strength Apparatus), which I mainly use for suspension training:

I mostly keep it hanging from my power rack and use for suspension training. It's great because you never have to adjust the length, just grab the handles at the height you want.

I come at Isometrics from the old York Functional isometric contractions angle. I beleive once can see in the major difference in results between thier two products ( Powerrack with two sets of pins vs Stick and chain) that some major got left out with moving to the stick and chain. My best guess 1) Foot stability is crucial to neurologically opening up peak strength. ( This is why standing on webbing didn't work for me. It felt like I was trying to pull the rug out from under myself.) and 2) A lack of biofeedback in the case of the power rack Can I push the bar a couple inched off the bottom set of pins into the top set or not. Hense my use of a scale.

Here is all that said in many more words if you are interested.

All that said, after spending a solid 6 months on this platform isometric method and seeing similar results to 6 months spend on power rack isometrics, I prefer powerrack isometrics any day. It's just nice to feel the weight move, even a little.

I come at Isometrics from the old York Functional isometric contractions angle. I beleive once can see in the major difference in results between thier two products ( Powerrack with two sets of pins vs Stick and chain) that some major got left out with moving to the stick and chain. My best guess 1) Foot stability is crucial to neurologically opening up peak strength. ( This is why standing on webbing didn't work for me. It felt like I was trying to pull the rug out from under myself.) and 2) A lack of biofeedback in the case of the power rack Can I push the bar a couple inched off the bottom set of pins into the top set or not. Hense my use of a scale.

Here is all that said in many more words if you are interested.

All that said, after spending a solid 6 months on this platform isometric method and seeing similar results to 6 months spend on power rack isometrics, I prefer powerrack isometrics any day. It's just nice to feel the weight move, even a little.

I agree that standing on the webbing is a little awkward, but it basically works. I'm not sure there's a significant difference in effect, even though there's a difference in feel (compared with a chain or webbing attached to a platform, not compared to functional isometric training with weight on the bar). With the USA, you put your foot in a loop at the end of the ladder, which feels more solid than a setup where you are just standing on the webbing.

At one point I found the Hoffman functional isometric books online and experimented with isometrics in the power rack. My power rack is not anchored to the floor, so I built a plywood platform that overlaps the base of the rack and prevents the rack from lifting up when I pull or push the bar against the pins from underneath. Instead of using two sets of pins I just lifted the weight from the floor up against the pins. Since the weight I used was relatively low, I also experimented with adding bands to provide more tension in the top range up to the pins.

At that point it started to seem like more trouble than it was worth, and it just didn't feel as satisfying to push against the pins compared to completing a regular rep with a given weight. Even though there is weight on the bar in the power rack isos, lifting it is less the point than making an effort against the pins, and it feels like that effort doesn't actually go anywhere. There's something satisfying about using your muscle power to move a given weight from here to there that the isometrics lacked for me.

Last edited:
@Steve W. I can see that. The world is wide and there are many ways to get strong. The beautiful thing about it is you can follow your nose. The iron gives you feedback direct. :)

Powerrack with two sets of pins, I prefer powerrack isometrics any day. It's just nice to feel the weight move, even a little.

Isometrics

This is an excellent method of increasing strength that is rarely used for a variety of reasons.

Probably the main issue is, as Steve W stated, "...It just didn't feel as satisfying to push against the pins compared to completing a regular rep with a given weight."

The solution is...

Functional Isometrics

1 ) "The Power Rack with Two Sets of Pins": A loaded bar sitting on the bottom pin is driven into the top pin. With each set you increase the amount of bar weight, driving it into the pin.

2) The Power Rack with One Pin and Bands: A loaded bar with bands attached is used. The bands are wrapped so that the resistance is so strong that it elicits the same effect as placing a second pin higher, as in the first example.

That bands slowing the bar and eventually stopping it complete before lockout occurs.

I have a Bungee System that I prefer.

What differentiates the Bands/Bungees from the use of pins, is...

a} No clanging of the bar when you drive it in to the pin.

b) The Bands/Bungees allows you to accelerate a light to moderate load with a lot of /speed/power.

The Bands/Bungees, when attached correctly, slow you down before you reach the Isomectric position.

Slamming the a light to moderate loaded bar into the second pin in the rack is a jarring effect; not the case with the Bands/Bungees.

Benefits of Isometrics

1) Develops Strength 15 degrees above and below of where the Isometric is performed; allowing you to work on a specific weak/sticking point.

2) Maximal Muscle Fiber Recruitment: An all out maximal Isometric ensure all muscle fiber are engaged, increasing strength.

3) Recovery: The quickest recovery occurs with an Isometric Action and a Concentric Contraction.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
Isometrics

This is an excellent method of increasing strength that is rarely used for a variety of reasons.

Probably the main issue is, as Steve W stated, "...It just didn't feel as satisfying to push against the pins compared to completing a regular rep with a given weight."

The solution is...

Functional Isometrics

1 ) "The Power Rack with Two Sets of Pins": A loaded bar sitting on the bottom pin is driven into the top pin. With each set you increase the amount of bar weight, driving it into the pin.

2) The Power Rack with One Pin and Bands: A loaded bar with bands attached is used. The bands are wrapped so that the resistance is so strong that it elicits the same effect as placing a second pin higher, as in the first example.

That bands slowing the bar and eventually stopping it complete before lockout occurs.

I have a Bungee System that I prefer.

What differentiates the Bands/Bungees from the use of pins, is...

a} No clanging of the bar when you drive it in to the pin.

b) The Bands/Bungees allows you to accelerate a light to moderate load with a lot of /speed/power.

The Bands/Bungees, when attached correctly, slow you down before you reach the Isomectric position.

Slamming the a light to moderate loaded bar into the second pin in the rack is a jarring effect; not the case with the Bands/Bungees.

Benefits of Isometrics

1) Develops Strength 15 degrees above and below of where the Isometric is performed; allowing you to work on a specific weak/sticking point.

2) Maximal Muscle Fiber Recruitment: An all out maximal Isometric ensure all muscle fiber are engaged, increasing strength.

3) Recovery: The quickest recovery occurs with an Isometric Action and a Concentric Contraction.

Kenny Croxdale
Good stuff Kenny!

I'll add that Legit FIC with weight that you can JUST move from one pin to the next causes a major rush. Feels amazing stepping out from under it. It can be pretty addictive.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom