all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Neuro/T-handle pushups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Physical Culture

Level 5 Valued Member
Does anyone have experience with t-handle or neuro-grip pushups? I'm looking for a grind that I can grease the groove on outside of my long cycle training. I'm using deadlifts for the pulls, but I want a press that I don't have to do in my gym. One arm pushups are an option, but I'm intrigued by the supposed benefits of using t-handles for pushups. I have a friend who can weld a nail to a pipe, so the investment is minimal.

Thanks!

Hello,

@Physical Culture
Neuro-grip push ups will allow you mainly 3 things:
=> an increase in ROM
=> a stabilization work (forearms, shoulders and core)
=> it forces you to stay very focused

Depending on what you are looking for it is a good PU variation. PU on suspension can be a good intermediary (it will be instable but not that much comparing to neuro-grip)

However, be careful on your balance. You could easily fall and injure yourself (wrist risk).

Kind regards,

Pet'

Steve, no science claimed here, but a one-armed pushup seems less gimmicky and a better choice to me. I'm just a few weeks back into working on these, doing the one-arm, one-leg variety with an 8" box on top of my 18" bench for low-rep sets. I think it's a pretty good exercise.

-S-

Hello,

doing the one-arm, one-leg variety with an 8" box on top of my 18" bench for low-rep sets. I think it's a pretty good exercise.
Yes that is true but it requires lots of core work and balance.

From my experience, as @Steve Freides said "no science" my progression was:
Standard push ups > push ups with elevated feet > OA PU > OA OL PU > OA OL PU with elevated feet.

If you want to generate a lots of instability you can do OAOL PU with elevated feet in a suspension ring. This one is horrible... Or OAOL with your hand in the suspension ring.

It is safer than neuro-grip IMO.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Steve Freides
This guy is a Norwegian climber pretty strong (lots of OA push ups, long front lever, lots of OA chin ups and so on)

On this video (55") if you look at his push ups, they requires strength (for that I totally agree with you), but also balance (we can see the axle which swing from a side to another).

On this video (even if the guy totally lack of core stability and ROM):

What do you think of this exercise variation if properly done ? If properly done, could this variation have an interest ?

I admit I am not super strong (veeeeery far from it), and I am not a push up expert, but I can only do this variation for a few reps (with proper form)

Kind regards,

Pet'

On this video (55") if you look at his push ups, they requires strength (for that I totally agree with you), but also balance (we can see the axle which swing from a side to another).
Yes, but I don't see the point in his training exercise variations which closely mimic his sport - he could just practice those things on the climbing wall. As a general rule, I think it's a better approach for most people to build basic, general kind of strength and let their sport-specific training be their sport.

My 1A1L pushup is a generalist movement, and I get the feeling that's what @Physical Culture is looking for, also.

I'm looking for a grind that I can grease the groove on outside of my long cycle training.

Edit: And the bar hooked in the center for pushup/chinup - I've owned that. It's cool to try once or twice but it holds no real attraction for me long-term. I'd rather try to move more weight. I think one can easily go overboard with instability training.

I think the 1A1L pushup is a good fit. JMO, YMMV.

-S-

Last edited:
Hello,

better approach for most people to build basic, general kind of strength
That is sure. Keep It Simple Stupid - Keep It Simple & Sinister. I agree.

But as a general perspective, where is the line between "basic, general kind of strength" (our OAOL PU feet elevated or not) and "unusual but challenging variations" (such as his push ups) ?

Kind regards

Pet'

But as a general perspective, where is the line between "basic, general kind of strength" (our OAOL PU feet elevated or not) and "unusual but challenging variations" (such as his push ups) ?
It is here - among many other places - that I have come to trust Mr. Tsatsouline's judgement. Pistol + 1APU for bw, getup + swing for kettlebell, standing press + DL for barbell. Other things I like: pull-ups, bent presses - not much else.

I have no problem with unusual and challenging variations, but they should be what we call Specialized Variety and not the mainstays of most people's programs.

-S-

I think this is relative. For a person who trains under the SF system, which places a premium on body tension and instability through unilateral work, then Pistols, OAOLPUs, TGUs, etc would be considered "basic, general strength".

For a person who trains in more regular weight lifting (say someone using Starting Strength, or Wendler's 5/3/1), those exercises would be thought of as "specialized variety". Heck, if you asked about OAOLPUs in a Starting Strength forum, they would tell you it's just gimmicky and useless! "Just Bench heavier".

Not that anyone is right or wrong. It just means your goals and training system determines what is general strength and what could be considered as "variety".

Does anyone have experience with t-handle or neuro-grip pushups?
Thanks!

As far as the OP is concerned, I've actually tried them a couple of times. I think they are an excellent exercise in terms of developing the ability of tension and stability. However, I think it has a very high level of risk associated with it. Overall, probably not worth it.

I think Ring Push-ups develop a similar level of body tension and demand lots of stability. But they're pretty much as safe as using the floor. The rings can move with your hands, so it's not like your hands can "fall off" if you know what I mean.

Anyways, if the investment is minimal, try them out. Maybe you'll love them. Regardless, I do agree with Steve Freides in that OAPU progression is probably worth your time more.

Just my 2 cents

Hello,

I experienced myself the neuro-grip yesterday evening, with a stick (thicker at an extremety to have a grip). Then I tried to push up.

First, I did not fall. For that I am happy.

However, I did not have good feeling at all. I was more thinking about "not to fall" and avoid to get injured than doing a proper move.

Then, even if I passed the move, I do not consider I put a full tension in it because I was focused on the risk.

After, I did it with suspension ring. Much better feeling. Even if you shake a little, that is "normal". As you do not have to be worry about slipping, you can use full tension techniques to stabilize yourself, without any fear. Thus the move is much more efficient.

As @305pelusa said, maybe you will love, plus maybe you will be good at this move. Give a try and you will see.

However from my experience, as soon as you will be tired or a little unfocused, you will be very likely to fall. On the long term, I am not sure it is a good option.

Always think in terms of :
=> risk / benefit ratio (will the move make me better at what I do ?)
=> is it sustainable ?

From time to time to vary, why not, but not on a systematic approach.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thanks, all, for the interesting dialogue. Yes, I'm interested in general pushing strength, as Steve F. indicated. My specialty is long cycle, so I need to add grinding pushes and pulls for all around strength. I have a set of rings, so maybe I'll give those a try for pushups.

Hello,

@Physical Culture
If your neuro-grip are free, give a try.
If they are not, go for the rings.
Otherwise, standard push ups / OA PU / OAOL PU are excellent strength builder (above all if you do them slowly and in full tension)

However, tell us how you feel about ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thanks, all, for the interesting dialogue. Yes, I'm interested in general pushing strength, as Steve F. indicated. My specialty is long cycle, so I need to add grinding pushes and pulls for all around strength. I have a set of rings, so maybe I'll give those a try for pushups.
My ring Push-up was merely an example of an exercise I think has more value, but is simply far safer than the Neuro-grid Push-up.

If you're looking for a grind, I'd probably follow Steve's advice to go for the OAPU.

I would have to agree with @Steve Freides - the OA or OAOL pushup is a great option for building incredible strength, balance and symmetry. Until they are done with stellar form, I would not add any other elements to them as the risk out ways the reward in my opinion. The OAPU has PR'd my kb military press and my bench press without training those modalities. So I stick to what I know works and keeps me injury free.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom