all posts post new thread

Kettlebell New guy needs advice

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

daacrusher2001

First Post
Hi Everyone,

I just joined the forum as I'm interested in learning kettlebell training. I lifted weights for many years but about 3 years ago had to stop due to cervical spine surgery. I can't really put heavy weight above my head or on my back, safely, so I have to workout differently than what I'm used to. I have been doing some dumbbell work but it's limited.

I have no pain, I'm fully recovered, I've started running again, but I'm reluctant to weight lift in the traditional style so I thought kettlebell training might be a good way to stay fit and strong.

The question I have is, where do I start? What exercises, how much weight, etc...I've watched a number of videos and read a lot of forum posts, but I think I just need solid advice on what to start with. And, of course, I want to make sure my form is correct, so I'm some of you can guide me.

Thanks, in advance!

Jim

You'll see Simple & Sinister on this site. It's the place to start for learning the swing and getup. I'm not sure about the getup in your case, but the swing is generally the place to start, and is considered by most to be the foundation for kettlebell training.

That said, I'll tell you (and everyone here would agree) - get an OK from your doc before starting anything. Tell/show him exactly what you're planning to do and get approval before getting into it.

Thank you, @Jason Paul - given his history, a full getup might not be possible. But the swing protocol would, we hope, be OK.

-S-

[QUOTE="daacrusher2001, post:

And, of course, I want to make sure my form is correct, so I'm some of you can guide me.

Thanks, in advance!

Jim[/QUOTE]

I've heard it 100 times if I've heard it once, find a local SFG and start out right.

It won't be free, but it'll be worth 50x what it costs in preventing an injury, shortening the learning curve, and not learning bad habits.

Remember, practice does NOT make perfect when you are practicing it wrong. :eek:

[QUOTE="daacrusher2001, post:

And, of course, I want to make sure my form is correct, so I'm some of you can guide me.

Thanks, in advance!

Jim

I've heard it 100 times if I've heard it once, find a local SFG and start out right.

It won't be free, but it'll be worth 50x what it costs in preventing an injury, shortening the learning curve, and not learning bad habits.

Remember, practice does NOT make perfect when you are practicing it wrong. :eek:[/QUOTE]

Ok, so where do I find a local SFG - is there a registry or something? I live in northern NJ if that helps.

Welcome, Jim. Agree with all of the above. The StrongFirst Instructor Page has a search function. You probably have a lot in your vicinity. Definitely the way to get started!

And if you start on your own, definitely follow the S&S progressions: practice the Kettlebell deadlift and get a good hinge pattern established before you start swinging.

kettlebell training might be a good way to stay fit and strong

You got that right!

Welcome @daacrusher2001 Given your injury history and your desire to do everything correctly, if you are able, you would be wise to find a certified FMS expert and and SFG instructor. The FMS will make sure that you are moving well enough to move forward with your training and provide you with correctives as needed and your SFG will get make sure that you are doing things correctly and safely. If you can find someone who can do both thats great. Both this sight and functionalmovement.com have a way to find instructors near you.
It might be a little upfront cost but if you can swing it, it will go a long way in making sure you are training for the long haul.
Best of luck to you Jim!
Keep us posted!

OK, I'm back with some additional questions.

I read the book, bought some kettlebells, and my wife and I are about 4 weeks into training. I went back to my spine surgeon and confirmed that after 2.5 years I'm fully healed. He gave me the go ahead to train, including some weight exercises I had stopped doing.

So - I feel good, I like the kettlebell training I've been doing. One thing I didn't mention, both my wife and I also have knee problems so the TGU has been nearly impossible for us, so far. We've been doing deadlifts and swings mostly. I also do the goblet squat, but my wife had knee surgery recently and can't do those yet.

So, here is my question -

Should we simply stick to swings - two hand and one hand. Just for awhile? We've been doing 5 sets of two hand swings, and three sets of one hand (each arm). After reading a lot of posts in here, it seems like many just do the swings and TGU's for awhile. Am I getting that right?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom