all posts post new thread

Barbell New Guy seeking training advice

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kevin Guzda

First Post
Hello, This might be long winded but jut trying to give as much information as possible to satisfy the thread requirements.

I’m a 46 year old male, been training on/off program hopping but somewhat consistently since I was 18-19. I’m 6’3, 220, 35-36 inch waist, not obese or fat but no visible abs , do a lot of backpacking, walking, and have manual labor job where I have a lot of repetitive shoulder down to my hand movement for 4-6 hours a day.

No medical conditions but lower back is sometimes a little cranky.. I don’t compete in any lifting or sports besides trying to stay in shape to go hiking and backpacking in the mountains occasionally..

My goals are to get much stronger in a handful of lifts , get better at pushups (current max reps is only 20) be able to do unassisted chin ups( currently doing negative reps, inverted rows, using bands towards this goal), and look a little better in terms of slowly adding a little muscle as a by product of getting stronger. I am very weak.? Current lift max or rep max’s are in lbs are back squat 230x9 reps, trap bar deadlift 240x6, bench 175x4, standing press 135x1 rep, close grip bench 165x5, ez curl barbell curl 90x11, inverted rows with bodyweight between 6-10 reps, and can get 5x3 sets of chin negatives.

I am so thoroughly confused by what program to follow, I’m currently deciding on Wendler’s 531 program, or GSLP by John Schaffer which is similar to Starting strength, or avoiding last set rep max’s and trying a Pavel type program. I can commit to lifting 3x a week for an hour or slightly more. I still want to incorporate the GTG pushups in addition to my lifting sessions and negatives for my chin up progression.Lastly, I’d like to leave time and energy for 2-3 conditioning sessions weekly so I’m not as miserable when I go hiking in the mountains . Please , can anyone layout the particular’s of something I can follow for next several months using the exercises I listed and like doing to finally get me stronger?

Much apprecuated

@Kevin Guzda
First off welcome to SF, and thanks for the good intro.
It might be heresy in the Barbell Forum, and it goes against some of your stated goals; but if you want to perform and feel better hiking in the mountains, then I would ditch the barbell lifts and do something more appropriate, useful, and aligned to that.

S&S
Rucking
LED locomotive work

Additionally... when you say you feel miserable when hiking in the mountains can you be more specific?

What type of hiking? Terrain? Distances? Altitude? Elevation Gain? Loads?

What type of miserable?

(Speaking from 5 decades of mountain travel)

Others may argue otherwise, but I think beginners should start with linear progression if doing a barbell program.

GSLP is decent and leaves room for conditioning. I used it myself when u started before just going with Starting Strength. There are only very subtle differences until you start modifying for intermediate progression. My log is here if you want to see how I am doing the program: Joe's Quest For Strength and Health

Wendler's 5/3/1 is an intermediate periodized program with monthly progression. This provides more recovery for those who need it (ie intermediate lifters pushing heavier weights). The other two programs have 3x a week progression a newer lifter can handle due to lighter weights. Recovery isn't an issue yet so their isn't a need for the slower progression.

@Kevin Guzda
First off welcome to SF, and thanks for the good intro.
It might be heresy in the Barbell Forum, and it goes against some of your stated goals; but if you want to perform and feel better hiking in the mountains, then I would ditch the barbell lifts and do something more appropriate, useful, and aligned to that.

S&S
Rucking
LED locomotive work

Additionally... when you say you feel miserable when hiking in the mountains can you be more specific?

What type of hiking? Terrain? Distances? Altitude? Elevation Gain? Loads?

What type of miserable?

(Speaking from 5 decades of mountain travel)

Thanks for reply.. Just to clarify, backpacking and hiking is just something I do few times a year. When I was younger, I was consumed with mass and gaining weight because I was skinny so I neglected hobbies and things I enjoyed for fear of losing muscle. Now having a decent level of conditioning is more important to me . I still want to lift weights and I’m just frustrated with all the program hopping I’ve done and all the wasted years. I still want to get stronger and wouldn’t mind adding muscle along the way but I’m not looking to bulk per say. I’ve done GSLP and linear programs such as those by John Christy and Brooks Kubik and have made gains . I came across Pavel’s stuff though and just wondering if my approach is all wrong. As far as hiking, I do weekend backpacking trips in the White Mountains, NH and Adirondacks in NY. 8-12 miles so far, hoping to tackle more miles, 2,000-5,000 elevation gain over one weekend mainly..

Others may argue otherwise, but I think beginners should start with linear progression if doing a barbell program.

GSLP is decent and leaves room for conditioning. I used it myself when u started before just going with Starting Strength. There are only very subtle differences until you start modifying for intermediate progression. My log is here if you want to see how I am doing the program: Joe's Quest For Strength and Health

Wendler's 5/3/1 is an intermediate periodized program with monthly progression. This provides more recovery for those who need it (ie intermediate lifters pushing heavier weights). The other two programs have 3x a week progression a newer lifter can handle due to lighter weights. Recovery isn't an issue yet so their isn't a need for the slower progression.

Thanks for reply.. I’ve done GSLP on/off for few tears now and dabbled on 531. I have made progress on both but have issues committing to any one. I think I still have tons of room for linear poundage gains on a program like the GSLP but I can see appeal of 531 too. Part of what helped me find this forum was researching Pavel’s GTG methods for chins and pushups . Now I’m second guessing the rep max intensity approach of GSLP or 531 and curious if I should be doing a Pavel based program ?

The 531 program does wonders to your strength—I've tried it before and I'm an occasional hiker too. Just add a few more lifts for the glutes and legs to prepare those for steep uphills.

Where do you usually climb? I do some easy trails with friends, but I actually prefer doing lone hikes with more difficult paths. I just make sure I got a radio with me in case anything happens (bet options in RRD.org, in my opinion). And those bells to deter bears.

Last edited:
In addition to 5/3/1, Reload is a good strength program that has a 2day/week option. That would leave you with one of those days for conditioning. Get some additional hypertrophy from performing supplemental lifts after but increase the reps to feel a litttle burn.

Monday
Squat
Bench Press
Superset Rows + Incline dumbbell press

Wednesday
HIIT or HIRT conditioning. I've been doing 30-40min of low intensity steady state (LISS/LSD/LED) with a 8-10s max effort every 5-7min that I like.

Friday
Press
Deadlift
Front Squat
Superset Rows + Incline Dumbbell Press

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom