all posts post new thread

Barbell New guy understanding.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

YukonNorth

First Post
I have been doing a lot of studying, so that I can better understand how to set a effective strength training program. I think I understand enough to plan on long the term results (Tortoise and the hare).

First question is very basic about technique on bench presses. I understand the tight, slow, and controlled. Not bouncing it off of your ribs like I see on videos. I'm surprised those people aren't breaking ribs. How is the question. I understand shoulder blades together and puffed out chest, but in some videos you see people arching their backs like they are doing a bridge. It doesn't seem like they are getting a full range of motion. I see it a lot. Is this valid or a cheating motion?

2nd question. Again, I understand slow and controlled, but I have been reading about hyperidization and the two methods for strength training and muscle building don't seem to much different to me. I guess what I'm asking. Is hyperidization for building strong effective muscle vs. Body building puffy muscle for looks?

I know that's a huge subject, but is there something that I can read to explain the difference? Or and article that explains it well?

Thank you in advance for your time.

@YukonNorth, taking our 1-day barbell course would be a big help to you, as would working with a StrongFirst Certified barbell instructor.

-S-

in some videos you see people arching their backs like they are doing a bridge. It doesn't seem like they are getting a full range of motion. I see it a lot. Is this valid or a cheating motion?

Some arch is good for tension and safe shoulder position. Excessive arch is good for competitive advantage for powerlifters, but not that great for general strength development.

2nd question. Again, I understand slow and controlled, but I have been reading about hyperidization and the two methods for strength training and muscle building don't seem to much different to me. I guess what I'm asking. Is hyperidization for building strong effective muscle vs. Body building puffy muscle for looks?

This may be more general than you're asking, but generally speaking, low reps and heavier weights are good for building strength. Higher reps and more fatigue (thus more sets, going to failure, smaller movements with body parts rather than full body compound movements) are good for hypertrophy and bodybuilding.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom