all posts post new thread

Bodyweight New Here, Help With Pullups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Martin Svoboda it is helpful to waive the load either in volume or intensity with your swings as well as your pullups. After moving your heavy day to Friday you could do heavy weighted singles that day with a heavier load for say 5 reps. Then on medium day continue with weighted ladders and light day bodyweight ladders. I would put your heavy swing day before light pullup day and light swing day before heavy pull up day, but that is just my preference to stay fresh. Either way what ever you move around track it and listen to your body because as mentioned above the CNS can get friend fairly quickly. You may find that a full REST day before heavy day and two REST days after would benefit your strength gains.

Keep us posted.

Thank you again for all tips. Here is updated program:

Mon – Medium
Weighted pull ups ladders
Half TGU 5+5
Farmers walk – 10 min
OS resets
evening
Power stretching

Tue – Heavy
Swings, OS resets

Wed – Light
Bodyweight pull ups ladders
Flor press 5x5
Farmers walk – 5 min
OS resets
evening
Power stretching

Thu – Light
Swings, OS resets

Fri – Heavy
Weighted pull ups ladders 5x1
push ups
farmers walk – 10 min
OS resets
evening
Power stretching

I think it will be helpful for me. I'll let you know how it works for sure.

I have one more question. Is it ideal to have pause between sets in ladders 1-5 min?

Hello,

@Martin Svoboda
Be careful with your grip (due to the pull up + GU + farmer walk). However, I guess this is perfectly doable on the long run because you go for a 3 days a week program.

I have one more question. Is it ideal to have pause between sets in ladders 1-5 min?
Yes. "Power loves rest", to quote Pavel. Everything that makes your move better (in terms of quality) is a good thing.

Here are very good articles about rest:
“Long Rests”: A Revolution in Interval Training
The Patience of Strength: the Russian Science of Rest Intervals

Kind regards,

Pet'

After all changes I still felt fatigue and had no progression. I tried full GU and it was without knee pain so I decided to switch to S&S.

I will wait when I meet simple goals and then will see :)

Hello,

@Martin Svoboda
Is it a whole body fatigue ? Only a body part fatigue ?

There is no rush in tackling S&S or any program. Did you see a med / physio to be sure there is no issue with the GU ? Usually, swings are more knee friendly.

Stay safe.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Whenever I come back from a break from weighted pull ups I take my 5rm and do 5 sets with it 2-3 times a week. When I complete 5 sets of 3, add weight. After plateauing I add light days etc. but simple reps across always seems to add weight quickly.

Hello,

Aside from the weight, reps and sets, we also have to pay attention to joints. Heay pull ups can become taxing (can lead to tendinitis) if they are done with too heavy weight. Then, rest is needed. Modifying ROM can also be considered (keeping elbows slightly bent in bottom position).

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Doing pull-ups on rings is also a great hack that is usually pretty joint friendly...
+1

I never experienced issue with my elbows but I started to feel a slight wrist pain with high volume bar front lever. I solved the problem using ring. I guess this would be the exact same logic with pull ups.

Kind regards,

Pet'

If my volume creeps up too high I get early signals that my body is not happy. Training/practice also becomes much less enjoyable.

Luckily, I don't think super high volume is needed to meet my own goals. Along with performance goals, I'm also interested in keeping everything in good working order over the long term, rather than reaching beyond my limits and hitting problems later.

I want to be doing this stuff for life.

Hello,

@Martin Svoboda
Is it a whole body fatigue ? Only a body part fatigue ?

There is no rush in tackling S&S or any program. Did you see a med / physio to be sure there is no issue with the GU ? Usually, swings are more knee friendly.

Stay safe.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I've seen physio this week and she confirmed S&S is safe for me. I also got some advices and corective excersises.

I've started with pull ups just because knee injury. So I'm happy I can do GU again and I hope S&S help me with pull ups.

I don't know if S&S will necessarily 'help' with pull-ups. I find that pull-ups are a great compliment to S&S however.
As @pet' mentioned make sure you aren't over taxing your grip.
Good news that you got cleared for S&S...

Hello,

I'll echo @offwidth 's post.

Swings may "help" to maintain a very correct pull up level. Before starting S&S, I was able to hit about 30 - 35 pull ups. Then, I completly gave them up to dedicate myself to S&S only. After a while, I wanted to test my pull ups. I was still able to go for 25 without too much trouble.

If one starts "from scratch" regarding to pull ups, maybe the swings may increase your number. Otherwise, I think it can simply maintain.

Then, as @offwidth said, pull and S&S are a wonderful combination, as long as your grip recovers well.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom