all posts post new thread

Nutrition New, Need Weight Loss Advice

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Welcome to the forum Betty. First off, I'm not a trainer so what I'll tell you is from experience. The best luck I have had as I have aged is by doing the Maffetone Two Week Test. I did it for three weeks. Basicly you cut out all sugar, simple carbs, and starches. After that I slowly introduced some carbs back into the diet but not many. Meat, vegetables, and lots of water. I don't know what you are doing for training, but I will tell you that I'm not doing anything other than kettlebell training, pull ups, and deadlifts. It's working better than I would have imagined. There are some really great knowledgeable folks on this forum who can help you out more.

My way: Find something that you can stick with (both diet and exercise). This'll probably take some trial and error, but that's the only way you're going to figure it out. People get results through IIFYM (if it fits your macros), south beach, paleo, warrior diet, Atkins/ketogenic diets, IF (intermittent fasting, which is what I like), and a whole load of other things. The reason they get results is because they find something they can stick to, and stick to it.

Dan John's way: ATTACK IT! Make it hard, but quick. The New V-Diet Test Drive by Dan John and Chris Shugart -

As far as exercise goes, here's a resource: Maximal Fat Loss, Minimal Equipment | T Nation
And swings are the bees-knees when it comes to fat loss.

FWIW, others will be able to be more helpful if you post some more info about yourself: age, weight, height, athletic and injury history, current diet and exercise regimens.

At 52 I have struggled with both weight and getting my self to exercise for 30 yrs!! My weight has crept up to around 270. The exercise piece I have conquered, my strength, flexibility/mobility ect are improving, but the diet is still a big problem. Much thanks to this site and Dan Johns forum for inspiration. I don't post much, but I read the post everyday. I have fiddled with Paleo, Keto/Atkins, portion control ect. Lately I have been going back and forth with Keto or LC, usually I do well and then let life get in the way. I also have measured both Ketones and Blood Glucose, and I think I am pre diabetic or close to it. I also feel much worse when I eat carbs. I have been doing a lot of self experimenting and realize I MUST cut the carbs. Example today is around 3 days of really low carb again. Only 3 days, Joints feel better, energy is higher, sleep is better. Now I realize that if I just cut all processed carbs and high Glycemic load carbs this may help tremendously, and I could probably even lose weight if for example I just kept carbs under 150-or 100 (Mark Sisson Primal Recommendations), but I think even this much for me is a slippery slope. One final thought...My goal is to lose weight and be strong, but losing the weight is vital, thus should be the number one goal. Thus for the next few weeks I will do Easy Strength along with 5-10 minutes of metabolic type work (KB's, Farmers, ect) 3-4 times a week and try and drop maintain my strength gains and drop some weight. I will report back and let you know how it goes.

Hi guys, new to StrongFirst. I am no personal trainer or nutritionist but I do have a lot experience of bashing the old head against the wall until I get things right.

I have just recently lost 10kg over the last 4 months; 95kg to 85kg. Could have lost more but my goal was to lose it as slow as possible because in the past I have lost weight only to put it back on due to starvation mode diets.

My trick was simple and I don't consider it a diet but is now my lifestyle. I hopefully intend to do it forever now.
  • Have 50% fruit and 50%vegatables in 600ml smoothies 4 times a day. Drinking them throughout the day. Say between 7:00am and 4:00pm. Roughly around 500 calories altogether.
  • Then around 5pm I will have my only meal for the day; using the Warrior Diet concept of eating until I am thirsty.

I have tried the Warrior Diet in the past by having nothing through the day but water and lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time. But then all of a sudden I gained it back and some. Believe it was the result of cortisol issues through starvation mode.

The added adjustment of smoothies has not only helped the hunger issue but has also given my body a bit of a very much needed detox. Because my facial eczema as is slowly starting to disappear. I am also eating a lot less junk food as my body doesn’t seem to crave certain naughty foods anymore.

Another useful healthy tip was putting a pedometer app on my smart phone. It was interesting to see how much moving I wasn't doing through the day. I try to each day keep my movement steps as high as possible.

Anyway I hope this helps

Hi guys, new to StrongFirst. I am no personal trainer or nutritionist but I do have a lot experience of bashing the old head against the wall until I get things right.

I have just recently lost 10kg over the last 4 months; 95kg to 85kg. Could have lost more but my goal was to lose it as slow as possible because in the past I have lost weight only to put it back on due to starvation mode diets.

My trick was simple and I don't consider it a diet but is now my lifestyle. I hopefully intend to do it forever now.
  • Have 50% fruit and 50%vegatables in 600ml smoothies 4 times a day. Drinking them throughout the day. Say between 7:00am and 4:00pm. Roughly around 500 calories altogether.
  • Then around 5pm I will have my only meal for the day; using the Warrior Diet concept of eating until I am thirsty.

I have tried the Warrior Diet in the past by having nothing through the day but water and lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time. But then all of a sudden I gained it back and some. Believe it was the result of cortisol issues through starvation mode.

The added adjustment of smoothies has not only helped the hunger issue but has also given my body a bit of a very much needed detox. Because my facial eczema as is slowly starting to disappear. I am also eating a lot less junk food as my body doesn’t seem to crave certain naughty foods anymore.

Another useful healthy tip was putting a pedometer app on my smart phone. It was interesting to see how much moving I wasn't doing through the day. I try to each day keep my movement steps as high as possible.

Anyway I hope this helps
Sounds like a cool idea. I had great success with the warrior diet years ago but fell off. What sort of smoothies do you make?

I'm a big believer that no diet or exercise routine is 'magic', but in my experience, one approach to diet comes pretty damn close. In the Warrior Diet, Ori Hofmekler mentions that you can get all you need from nuts and (non-starchy) veggies, eating as much as you want of each during the over eating phase.

From this, what I do is eat a few pieces of fruit (apples and oranges), as well as the odd whey protein shake during the day, plus coffee to blunt hunger, then in the evening, eat a tonne of veggies, followed by an abundance of almonds, followed by an abundance of pistachios. Then if I'm still hungry, I might have another protein shake.

Honestly, this has been a surefire way to get VERY lean, VERY quickly,and I've never felt healthier and as satisfied than when following this diet. Even if I go a few days of cheating on my diet (like I have the last few days (well, about a week really), resulting in me being a little chubbier now) I get serious results VERY quickly if I go back to the nut and veggie diet, like, 2-3 days and I'll start seeing my abs again (I'm deadly serious). 2 weeks to a month... Well, try it and see for yourself.

This is just what works for me, and I love it. Like I say, nothing is magic, but this comes close, especially alongside S&S.

Last edited:
Sounds like a lot of warrior diet fans around here. Think ill give it a try again with a couple smoothies during the day and a big meal at night.

Hey,

Warrior diet from Ori Hofmekler is quite a good solution for weight loss. One "big meal" a day and force the body to use its fat to have energy.

This diet allows to eat more or less what you want to (but avoid junk food !). Nevertheless, it's mentally pretty tough...

If you make some cardio (HIIT or whatever) you will have very fast results but it is physically demanding. I think it is not necessary a "good option" in long-term.

Kind regards,

Pet'

There are lot of weight loss solutions and healthy stuff available online but choosing correct one and sticking to it till the end is more significant . 70 % weight loss depends on your diet and 30 % on your exercise . Exercises and yoga posses need to be done with the help of professionals. For giving healthy lifestyle to seniors , Home health care facilitates fitness gym with fitness trainers and therapists .

One can find varied gimmicky diet that can't deliver on its promises. So to overcome this problem , Pick a healthful diet that can help you drop pounds . Seniors need to take proper care of their health especially if they are following any diet plans. Most of the home health care broward offers gyms and meditation centres for seniors to stay fit and healthy .

I tried the Warrior diet for a while & it didn't suit me. I found after the large meal I was having a large insulin reaction and my body temp would skyrocket and then I'd fall asleep. That would be fine if I was eating very late but our family has dinner about 6pm, so I was falling asleep at 7 and waking at 10 or 11pm and wasn't able to get back to sleep.

Now I'm doing eat stop eat where I fast once or twice a week and eat normally the rest of the time. It suits me a lot better.

I tried the Warrior diet for a while & it didn't suit me. I found after the large meal I was having a large insulin reaction and my body temp would skyrocket and then I'd fall asleep. That would be fine if I was eating very late but our family has dinner about 6pm, so I was falling asleep at 7 and waking at 10 or 11pm and wasn't able to get back to sleep.

Now I'm doing eat stop eat where I fast once or twice a week and eat normally the rest of the time. It suits me a lot better.
These are good observations about the WD. It works best when the meal is truly at the end of your day.

-S-

Decrease back sugar and carbohydrates

Carbohydrates are in the form of bread, pizza and pasta and most of the sugar are in soda drinks. Eat less this nutrition diet if you want to lose your weight fast.

Eat protein and vegetables

Meat, fish and eggs that will contain 80 to 100 calories which boots your metabolism.

Low carbohydrates vegetables

· Spinach

· Cabbage

· Cauliflower

· Cucumber

Lift weight 3 times per week

With the help of lifting weights you can burn your calories, the more you burn calories the more you lose weight. If you do not want to do lifting exercise then do more cardio workouts like running, swimming and walking

For Women - best start, sound advice.. things like warrior diet, IF etc usually cause binging. Betty find a coach and dietitian .

Also how can anyone advice stuff like :

drink only juices
don't eat
eat only raw veggies etc

Goal is moderation. Goal is being wise about food choices and knowing the body, not jumping on fad diets and cool looking stuff when you can just :

- eat veggies, fruits, nuts and seeds
- eat meat and fish and eggs
don't eat stuff which is too far from natural, don't overeat. Exercise.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom