all posts post new thread

Bodyweight New Plan and Future Goals

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Stefano

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello everyone

I’m Stefano from Italy...it’s almost two months i’ve Only trained with bodyweight movements, dropping barbells and weights and i’m Absolutely happy with this change..

This is my actual training plan:

Today

L Sit Pull Ups

10x2
One Arm Push Ups
10x2
Pistol Squats (band assisted)
10x2

I changed plan and template today. I started with Chin Ups and Archer Push Ups two months ago...now:

- i replaced Chin Ups with L Sit Pull Ups, they were way harder (as I imagined) but i’m Really happy that I could complete all the reps, the strength I gained with Chin Ups paid...now i’ll Stick with Pull Ups for a while
- i changed sets and reps: i started with ladders (3x1/2/3) and now I planned to use a Doug Hepburn double progression for my bodyweight movements, starting from 10x2 and working to 10x3, adding a rep every workout
- i implemented Pistol Squats: this is an incredible movement, I had to train them before, but i’m Happy to have discovered them...I definetely have the strength but I lack coordination and balance, so I use a band (grabbing it with one hand), to assist the movement.
- I was really happy to finally train full One Arm Push Ups...there is still some body twisting and form isn’t perfect...but this is my first time I performed them, in full ROM, on the ground

Do you think it is a good plan? My goals for the future are:

- own the L Sit Pull Ups and working to Archer Pull Ups (maybe after another 10x3 cycle with l Sit Pull Ups)
- own the OAPU correcting the form and working to OAPU with feet elevated
- working to Pistol Squats without assistace and after finding an harder variations

Do you think i’m Training effectively and am I on the right way for my goals?

Hello,

@Stefano
Yes it is. Regarding OAP and pistols, you can consider the variations mentionned in the Naked Warrior. They are extremely progressive. The ones provided in Convict Conditioning are also pretty good. The positive thing about CC option is that it also build some "high volume" so you can get a fairly decent amount of strength endurance as well. In all cases, both are very good.

Regarding the LSit pull up, you can use the pull up template of this article:
The Anytime, Anywhere Bodyweight-Only Strength Program | StrongFirst

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thanks a lot @pet'
These are really useful advices and the last one is a wonderful program...a really similar selection of movements and reps/sets progression as my 10x2 to 10x3 workouts

So, i’ll Stick to these bodyweight movements working to harder variations and owning the right technique...i’ll also reduce the frequency of my workouts to 4 times a week considering the stress that OAPU and LSit Pull Ups place on shoulders, tendons and ligaments

Thanks again for your help!

Hello,

@Stefano
You are welcome.

Considering the volume and then the recovery, you have several options:
- the one you considered
- reducing the volume (targetting "only" 5 x3 for instance) but practicing daily.

The 2nd option is supposed to create a little more CNS adaptation (if I remember well some readings). However, keep in mind that both works ! This is completely up to you !

Kind regards,

Pet'

seems like you've made a good amount of progress, congrats on training the full OAPU!

in addition to elevating the feet, you could progress the OAPU by moving into higher reps, adding a weighted vest or backpack,

you could probably build a lot of strength by training higher rep pull ups at least once a week, in addition to your OACU training

the assisted pistols could be progressed by adding a weighted backpack as well, if you just wanted more strength.

please don't let this get you off track though you are doing great

Thanks a lot @Jak Nieuwenhuis for all the advices and the motivation!

I’ll follow for sure your progression ideas with OAPU and Pistols...

And if I can ask you a question: among all these exercises Pull Ups are certainly the ones I care the most...i’m Working towards OACU but I know it will be a really slow progression...

Now i’m traing LSit Pull Ups, i think it’s a great exercise (above all to feel my core and to unblock my scapula at the beginning of the movement)...now the goal is working to Archer Pull Ups, according to you: is it a good step after LSit Pull Ups?

Thanks a lot @Jak Nieuwenhuis for all the advices and the motivation!

I’ll follow for sure your progression ideas with OAPU and Pistols...

And if I can ask you a question: among all these exercises Pull Ups are certainly the ones I care the most...i’m Working towards OACU but I know it will be a really slow progression...

Now i’m traing LSit Pull Ups, i think it’s a great exercise (above all to feel my core and to unblock my scapula at the beginning of the movement)...now the goal is working to Archer Pull Ups, according to you: is it a good step after LSit Pull Ups?

I'm not sure man I'm pretty sure you're beyond my skill level as far as pull ups are concerned

Hello,

@Stefano
I do not want to chime in, however, LSit pull ups (lspu) will not really help you to get the Archer pull ups (apu).

Indeed, the lspu will not emphasize on one side, which is what you want when you perform an apu. Plus, the apu is a little bit more taxing regarding the core (even if a proper lspu is done with a nice hollow body).

IMO, they are two different animal. Most of the time, it is considered that the apu is a step toward the one arm pull up / one arm chin up.

If the apu is the goal, then, working until step 9 of the picture below:
upload_2018-11-16_10-14-23.png

once the step 9 is mastered, then beginning the slide motion of the apu ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thanks again @pet' as always some precious informations...

I found in the reddit bodyweight thread that LSit is the step before Archer, this is the reason why i’m Training them.

I think that my short term goal is reaching a full Archer Pull Up, the i’ll Consider a specific training for One Arm Pull Up...

According to you, what is a good preparatory Pull Up before Archers to gain strength for them?

Hello

@Stefano
I never trained them, even when I was chasing the OA chin up. Thanks to the OAC, I can get the APU. I hit some of them here and there for the fun.

As always, there are several strategies.
- You can follow the progression above, at least until step 9. This will give you the apu for sure.
- You can use weighted chin / pull up. This is what I did. I followed this program Daily Dose Deadlift Plan | StrongFirst Even if this is for the DL, the logic is the same. I added weight until 75% of bodyweight adde (so 60kg + 75%).
- An alternative is to use a pulley and a counterweight system The Pulley System: The Best Thing That Happened to Calisthenics (still targetting the same number of reps than the 2nd option.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hi guys

Sorry if I resurrect this thread but I have a question for you:

Regarding my LSit pull ups (and in general assisted Pistols and OAPU) i’m not satisfied with my technique...I see various holes and imperfections I want to correct and I know I have to do a lot of practice to perfect them.

My questions: when i’ll reach the 10x3 sets and reps and I won’t be satisfied with my technique, is it a good idea to restart again from 10x2 and work again with the same movements in order to perfect them? Do I risk to under train if i’ll Begin again with the same variations and lower volume(10x2)?

Thanks again for your help, this forum is an incredible source of informations and my motivation to keep on training

Hello,

when i’ll reach the 10x3 sets and reps and I won’t be satisfied with my technique, is it a good idea to restart again from 10x2 and work again with the same movements in order to perfect them?
I will not build up volume with "poor" technique - meaning if I am not satisfied with what I do. If I were in your shoes, I would prefer a few ladder with "perfect" technique. Then, as time goes by and as the repetitions becomes easier, I would add ladders / repetitions.

Do I risk to under train if i’ll Begin again with the same variations and lower volume(10x2)?
Reducing the volume is not necessary related to undertraining. Indeed, you can build more "voluntary" contraction, which means a better muscle control. You can also play with the pace: slower eccenctric than concentric, etc...

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thanks a lot @pet' and @Steve Freides, i thought a lot about your advices and my conclusion is that i’m not ready for these advanced movements...maybe the strength is there but it could be way more solid

A wiser decision could be to come back to the basics and train to be really strong at them, at that point I could think about advancing to harder variations...

So i’ll Come back to basic Pull Ups, Dips and Leg Raises, i’ll follow a proven program (Recon Ron) and when I’ll get 25/30 consecutive Pull Ups and Dips and build a solid strength, probably I’ll be ready to advance to more techincal movements

Hello,

@Stefano
You are welcome !
You can also target hanging leg raises, with ladders of 2 or 3, as described in bulletproof abs ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Stefano, how about some push-up variations?

-S-

Steve, I thought about it...but, according to you, is it a little unbalanced push-Pull ratio if I train Dips + push ups and pull ups?

(Today was a training day:

Recon Ron Pull Ups/Dips 1st day/1st week
6/5/5/4/3

Deadlift
2x74kg 2x84kg 2x94kg 2x104kg 2x114kg)

I _never_ concern myself with that sort of balance; I just look for lifts that feel OK to do in the same program and am happy with that.

E.g., rather than 1A PU on a 24" box, how about one arm under you and one arm out to the side?

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom