all posts post new thread

Barbell new raw powerlift record

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ali

Level 7 Valued Member
INteresting story for you all here:

'Stupendous' disabled powerlifter Stuart smashes 36-year record

Dunno if the link works outside uk: Stuart Jamieson hit a new all-time world record of a 286kg deadlift at 60kg body weight. He took up strength training to overcome Spina Bifida!!

Another link:

Stuart Jamieson Deadlifts 286kg at 60kg, Breaking Lamar Gant’s Record from 1981 - BarBend

In a 2014 article, he said

You don’t have to be held down by what you have been given in your life, it all depends on how you label yourself. I’ve experienced the best and worst that life has to offer, but I’ve not allowed my disability to define my quality of life.

New record? I thought Gant deadlifted 312 kg at 60kg. He was known for deadlifting five times his weight. There are a couple other differences as well, but it makes no sense to go into them. In any case, a very, very impressive lift by Jamieson and an inspirational story.

New record? I thought Gant deadlifted 312 kg at 60kg. He was known for deadlifting five times his weight.
A quick google search is enough to find some vids of Gant pulling more than 300Kg, but I don't know whether they were raw or not.
Also he competed in the 123lbs and 132lbs class. Obviously this could lead to typos when people post articles or videos of him and so they might take one of his 132lbs-class lifts and label it as a 123lbs-class lift.

A quick google search is enough to find some vids of Gant pulling more than 300Kg, but I don't know whether they were raw or not.
Also he competed in the 123lbs and 132lbs class. Obviously this could lead to typos when people post articles or videos of him and so they might take one of his 132lbs-class lifts and label it as a 123lbs-class lift.

Yep, he did compete in two classes. Although one would expect a journalist (lol), or at least the powerlifter to know these things.

I wouldn't worry about being raw/classic. First of all, Gant did a lot of terrific lifting a long time ago before the modern gear. Secondly, the gear mostly assists in squats and bench presses, not really at all with the deadlifts.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom